Leaving New York

It’s hard to believe my 14 year stint in New York is drawing to a close. I moved here as a bright eyed 16 year old from Kansas and I am leaving a jaded New Yorker who has had enough.

leaving new york

I’ve moved away for a bit but came always back. I never thought I would completely leave.

The main reason we are leaving is for a better life. New York has changed and not for the better. After we decided to leave I thought I would right an emotional post about it. Months went by and I never wrote it. Our reasons for leaving became less emotional and more practical, New York is a finance town and we are not financiers.

With the warm weather, I’ve started to become sad about the move. It’s pretty out and we can go to the playground again. Then Friday hit, and everyone left for their vacation homes. The playgrounds were empty and most of the kids were accompanied by their weekend nannies or parents who have no idea who we are because during the week the work week nanny is the one who takes Amelia’s playmate to classes and playdates.

I’ve made friends here but they’re not mom friends… they’re nanny friends. These nannies have given me amazing advice over the years and I am grateful for their friendships but on Friday they leave. When I decided to have a child I never thought I would be spending so much time with nannies or that some people would have nannies for when they are working and a nanny for the weekend.

I have tons of friends in Los Angeles who have kids. Some of them are very well off and could afford unlimited childcare but they don’t have a nanny. They hire babysitters for date night, so they can get a break a couple of times a week, or if they have a job that requires them to leave the home. They don’t have a nanny 24/7 because they want to spend time with their children. I am really excited to move to a place were we will fit in a but more :)

So New York it’s been real but this time it’s goodbye for good.

Dress- FabKids

Tags: , , , ,

9 Responses to “Leaving New York”

1. Francesca May 26, 2015 at 3:16 PM #

I´m glad you´re not so sad anymore about the move. :-) How does packing goes? It´s less than a week now, isn´t it? Hope, the next days will be as relaxed as the last week before a move can be. 😉

And I wrote it before but have to say it again: Can´t understand how people let other people raise their kids. Kindergarten or babysitters for some nights off are one thing. But all-day-care? It´s unbelievable for me. :-/
    Amelia is one of the few lucky kids who can spend time with her parents. I´m sure, she´ll never forget this. <3

• Shannon May 27, 2015 at 7:47 AM #

The packing is stressful but at least I am excited about the move now so that’s positive lol!!!!

2. Jess May 26, 2015 at 3:55 PM #

I understand needing a nanny for when they’re working but I would go crazy. I have no doubt the nanny’s are wonderful people but I want to be the one raising my child. I think it’s funny how some people assume if you’re well off you’re not raising your own kids. From what I’ve seen, that’s not the case at all. Yes some do, but at the end of the day, if they child is happy, healthy, and hopefully has a good relationship with their parents…then why do we care? I know you don’t, I’m just thinking out loud :-) I think California is going to be a very good move for you all, none of you sound very happy anymore and that’s not good. You deserve to be happy and thriving, and I think you will. You’re such a social and wonderful person I think it will be good to be closer to your friends and those you care about. Have a safe trip and I hope for an easy time moving. You guys are going to do great in California, and I admit, as I sit listening to the drizzle outside my Minnesota window, I’m jealous. :-)

• Shannon May 27, 2015 at 7:46 AM #

I don’t care…. It’s just hard to make friends when everyone has a nanny. All the moms I know in NYC have nannies and then go out together for lunch and to work out. I can’t do that because I am with Amelia… which is what I where I want to be. She’s only small for a short while. But I literally have no mom friends and spend my days alone with Amelia.

3. star71 May 26, 2015 at 8:32 PM #

That entire NANNY thing just blows my mind…
    I’m glad you’re going where you’re going to feel more comfortable and be with your friends…
    Wishing you the best of luck and a safe journey!!!!
    :0)

• Shannon May 27, 2015 at 7:44 AM #

Yeah… it’s weird. Some people in NYC need nannies because it’s impossible to get a spot at a daycare here. But then these people hang out with their kids on weekends and at night. What I don’t get is the whole weekend nanny thing. Or stay at home moms who have nannies.

• star71 May 28, 2015 at 6:52 AM #

How do people even afford it???
        Nannies have got to be TWICE as expensive a normal babysitter, right???
        I just couldn’t imagine being away from my child like that all the time…
        I have a hard enough time working a normal 30-40 hours a week… LOL

4. DJ Siciliano May 27, 2015 at 8:24 AM #

I know a nanny or two here where we are, and they are nice. And I find it odd they have this mother/child relationship when they aren’t close. I agree with raising your own children….

That’s beside the point. I want to say I hope you have a safe, happy move. I love to pack for a move, but I’m weird, hoping you’re finding a zen in doing it. Good luck!

• Shannon May 27, 2015 at 8:34 AM #

Many of the nannies are nice it’s just an odd dynamic where the parents don’t know us and when I try to introduce myself they act very awkward. Oh well….

Thanks for the wishes. I will try to channel your love of packing lol