Pros & Cons

I am still feeling a bit sad about leaving New York. When I was a kid I had a teacher who told us when we were feeling sad about something new or were faced with a choice to make a list of the pros & cons. When we were done she had us compare which list had more items. I do this sometimes as an adult to help me make a choice and to late make me feel confident about said choice. So here’s the list for our move to California.

california

Reasons to Stay in New York
It’s familiar
We have family here
It was my childhood dream to live here
You don’t have to drive

Reasons to Move to California
The warm weather (Freckles and Amelia wouldn’t be stuck inside for half the year)
The cost of living is way cheaper
The cost to open a business is way cheaper
They have good public schools so we wouldn’t have to send Amelia to private school
All of our friends live there
Disneyland
If we miss the snow we could drive to the mountains
They have beaches for dogs (this is Amelia’s favorite reason)
So many people fly from LA to NY that there are tons of cheap flights everyday so we can go back and visit family
Amelia would grow up with my high school, summer camp, and college friend’s children

So when I look at the lists there are way more reasons to move to California. I think I need to print this out and put it on my wall so whenever I feel nervous about the move I am reminded of why we decided to move.

Tags: , , ,

9 Responses to “Pros & Cons”

1. Jen March 3, 2015 at 10:11 PM #

Big change, but sounds so exciting! And so many pros!
    Sorry I will miss the chance to meet you on my yearly trip to NYC. But can’t wait to read about your journey to LA!

2. star71 March 3, 2015 at 10:45 PM #

I think that list is awesome!!!
    :0)
    And I know that you’ll love it there… You’ll finally get the dream of opening your Comedy Club and being around your closest friends again…
    And Amelia will have SO many amazing opportunities out there as well.
    :0)

• Shannon March 4, 2015 at 9:45 AM #

I agree… I will miss our family but there are planes to NYC.

3. storywrtr March 4, 2015 at 9:17 AM #

It’s easy for me to say, “Don’t be so sad,” because I’m not you. But you know, I see this as something positive for you all. It’s good to experience a new place and to be able to expand upon your dreams. It is difficult to leave things behind, but at least you can say some things about NY. You got to live there, fulfill a dream you had. You did it! Now you can move on and work on the next dream–the comedy club, or enjoying west coast life or whatever it is for you and your family. And I think your list proves that maybe you’ve completed some things on your bucket list but there’s still so much more to tackle.

I’m excited for you! I wish you all the best of luck.! (& hope Aaron is doing much better now…) Welcome to the west coast!

• Shannon March 4, 2015 at 9:46 AM #

I think it’s positive. I think the biggest thing I am sad about is not having grandparents 30 minutes away. And you are right my dream was to live in NY and I did it so now I can fulfill a new dream!

4. Francesca March 4, 2015 at 4:15 PM #

Well, these lists are pretty clear. 😉

I can understand, why you´re a little unsure and sad about the move. Especially because you always wanted to live in N.Y. and now its not the same as you imagined it in the beginning. And now you enter a new chapter in your life. And this can be exciting but also frightening. Even though you know that it will be better there. Often the mind says something else than the heart, so it´s natural that you´re glad about the move, but also sad.
    But I´m sure, everythings will turn out fine. I think, as soon as you live there you´ll probably ask yourself why you feel this way as you did now.

(btw: You already did something incredible I never would dare: You moved from a small town to a big city. I would go crazy there. lol So moving to L.A. is not this big a deal. ;-))

5. Comrade Mumma Bear March 8, 2015 at 11:48 PM #

Again I find myself here and I’m so glad I have. I think the move will be good for all my friend, and with your gorgeous little fam I know it will work wherever you decide to go xoxo