PATRIOTIC FASHION

women_vote My Lyst collection for this week isn’t inspired by a book. It is inspired by the election. This year is Princess A’s very first presidential election. I am going to dress her in red, white, blue, and bring her to vote with me. I am so excited.

Check out my Collection and Remember to vote tomorrow!

Tags: , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “PATRIOTIC FASHION”

1. Vera November 5, 2012 at 2:39 PM #

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery […]

Are flags on T-shirts, ties, etc., really flags?

Yes. According to the Flag Code, a flag is anything “by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag.”
    The words “flag, standard, colors, or ensign”, as used herein, shall include any flag, standard, colors, ensign, or any picture or representation of either, or of any part or parts of either, made of any substance or represented on any substance, of any size evidently purporting to be either of said flag, standard, colors, or ensign of the United States of America or a picture or a representation of either, upon which shall be shown the colors, the stars and the stripes, in any number of either thereof, or of any part or parts of either, by which the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag, colors, standard, or ensign of the United States of America.

Source: Flag Code, Section 3

Therefore, a flag includes any representation of it of any substance, with stars and stripes of any number. This would include T-shirts and ties.

Other references in the Flag Code relevant to this question are:

The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. (section 8d)

It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like (section 8i)

[It should not be] printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes (section 8i)

The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature. (section 8g)

No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. (section 8j)

• Marie-S. November 5, 2012 at 5:04 PM #

???

• Shannon November 5, 2012 at 6:56 PM #

hahahaha Marie! I agree ?????

2. snarkysarcasticbish November 5, 2012 at 6:08 PM #

Well that might be said, however considering that I am American and I use my rights as I do. I will wear whatever colors, whatever I want. That’s how I roll. Keep in mind, Americans have been celebrating their rights for many years. We will continue to do so. And if that’s illegal, well arrest me. I love the ideas here Shannon. Keep up the great work. And god help us.

• Shannon November 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM #

Thanks Katie. I agree with you… and people from all over the world wear flags to celebrate their country/

3. snarkysarcasticbish November 5, 2012 at 6:13 PM #

And one more thing….. http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf Go to page 13, it states that using the flag as commercial items are covered under the first amendment. Wiki is NOT ever a reliable source. So yea!!!!!!

• Vera November 5, 2012 at 6:42 PM #

This is not about colors or color combinations. This is about wearing something recognizable as the flag.

Bless your heart, but I’m afraid there’s nothing wrong with the Wikipedia source, seeing that the quoted part “(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery […]” that followed was taken directly from § 8. Respect for Flag, you will find it in the .pdf you linked.

The part you were referencing to states rather the opposite of what you were trying to prove.

Have a nice evening.

• snarkysarcasticbish November 5, 2012 at 6:58 PM #

What I am stating is that Wiki is accessible to everyone and the info can be changed by anyone. It’s known that it is not a reliable source. Since my flag shirts are Made in the USA i’m pretty sure its safe. You have a nice evening.

• Shannon November 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM #

When people wear the flag they are just trying to show their love of their country… Look at Uncle Sam.

• Shannon November 5, 2012 at 6:58 PM #

Wikipedia isn’t a reliable source at all. Thanks for the link katie.

4. snarkysarcasticbish November 5, 2012 at 7:01 PM #

No. For private citizens, the Flag Code serves as a guide to be followed on a purely voluntary basis to insure proper respect for the flag. The Supreme Court has ruled that politically motivated violations of the Flag Code are protected by the First Amendment.

The Flag Code has no provision for enforcement. No fines, no penalties. There is nothing law enforcement can do when the Flag Code is broken.

5. Aaron November 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM #

Also according to Wikipedia beware the Bunnyman!