PLEASE AND THANK YOU

POPATAU2

Princess A on point

I love taking Princess A to ballet class. It’s adorable and the more classes we take the more confident she gets. Yesterday, she danced around on her tippy toes and I was so proud. The teacher tells the girls that all ballerinas have good manners and encourages them to always say please and thank you in class. Many of the girls are too shy to do this or can’t say the words but the ground work is being laid for polite young women.

The same time as Princess A’s dance class there is a sports class for boys next door. The boys are taught to be fearless and tough. My friend’s son takes this class and when she heard Princess A say “Ees”(please) the first time she asked me how I taught her that and I said she learned in ballet class. My friend was amazed and a little jealous. She said that there is no mention of manners in her son’s class. When she talked about what they did in the boy’s class I became a bit jealous as well because it sounded so fun.

This made me think that it would be even better if the girl’s got some tough sports skills in their classes and the boys got some manners in their classes. Princess A does take sports classes so she gets some of that but I have never met a boy who takes ballet class. I understand that there are a lot of societal stereotypes at work that may make parents less likely to enroll their son’s in ballet class but it’s a shame that so many boys miss out on this important skill. Princess A is only 19 months old and I have already noticed huge differences between the the toys, activities, and treatment boys and girls receive. It’s something that you just can’t escape but I think it’s a just plain dumb because imagine how well rounded our kid’s would be if boys and girl’s were encouraged to be both brave and polite?

Janitor at Mom Blog PoopPeePuke.com

Lover of Funny at The World New York Comedy Club

Tags: , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “PLEASE AND THANK YOU”

1. Melissa October 17, 2012 at 2:06 PM #

First that picture is to cute for words. I like how Freckles is protecting her always! Second, I agree! I was taught (in Catholic school) the importance of manners. At home I was taught as well. Basic politeness should be somewhere in every class so that the world doesn’t forget it’s not only the one who finishes first that wins, it’s the ones that finish in any place with grace.

• Shannon October 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM #

I like that saying Melissa 🙂

2. JEss October 17, 2012 at 2:15 PM #

It’s rare but some boys do take ballet, I think tap dance doesn’t get quite as much of a bad rap for boys but still. I can’t even imagine what they put up with if their friends know, or if they just hide it. That’s so sad. There is nothing wrong with loving to dance! I don’t know about you, but watching Richard Gere tap dance in Chicago or ballroom in Shall We Dance, or seeing Gregory Hines tap dance makes me swoon! Men that can dance are sexy as hell, it should be celebrated, not shamed! Girls should definitely be taught some tough sports skills, I know I wasn’t the sports girl in school and hated gym because of it. I was awesome at certain sports and things but the big ones, basketball, baseball, football (although I enjoy rushing I discovered lol) I wasn’t really any good. Kickball was the bane of my existence. But badminton, floor hockey, table tennis, scoccer, and cross country skiing, I was awesome at. I know I would have appreciated, not even gaining skills in the sports I was bad at, but the ability to blow it off and just have fun. I was always down on myself after those days.Kids need a nice mix of both, I’m so thankful that Warren loves to dance crazy, and be silly and wrestle, but is also polite and kind. It’s not easy! He is all boy but I would LOVE it if he was into dance or got into theater early on. I think it really makes a difference if they can have both a creative side and a “play” side i guess. Go out and toss a football but also get down on the dance floor? Can you say perfect guy? LOL

3. blynswannn October 17, 2012 at 2:18 PM #

This is THE cutest pic! But then, I am a dancer (was). You all might be interested in reading my book, Summer Dance. (I am also the author of Caraboose: The Tooth Fairy Moose, too!)

4. Melody October 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM #

I think it’s a shame that more people don’t teach their kids to be polite. What annoys me the most is when a child (I’m excluding the toddler phase in which they’re still learning) is not being polite and excuses get made for her/him. I hear it all the time. Especially for teenagers. Which is even more irritating. They know better. As far as boys being in what are typically “girls” classes and vice versa, it really shouldn’t matter. Let the kid do both or whichever they want. What other people have to say means diddly squat.

• Shannon October 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM #

I agree with you that it shouldn’t matter… that’s why I feel bad for kid’s who only get to take “boy” or “girl” classes

5. Angelia October 17, 2012 at 3:33 PM #

I totally agree with you and they can include those principles in karate classes and sports teams and some do. My nephew’s swimming, and sports lessons do. But not all coaches find the principles of polite manners important but quite the majority do.

• Shannon October 17, 2012 at 7:16 PM #

Amelia takes a gym class and is the only girl in the class. They never talk about manners which is fine because it’s my job but I feel bad that some kids miss out on being taught manners in a fun way. Amelia thinks everything I say is wrong but if her teacher is always right so if she asks her to say please she does lol

6. snarkysarcasticbish October 17, 2012 at 4:18 PM #

My children have never ever been accused of being anything other than polite. I have taught them manners from day one. I think it is very important. Glad that Princess is learning hers. Keep up the great work mom!!!!!!