BABY CARRYING

ergo-baby-carrier

My little koala

I think I hold my daughter too much. I hurt my back and had to go to a physical therapist. I feel much better now but I think I need to change my habits.

My baby carrier can hold a kid up to 45 pounds. It gives me tons of support, I can carry Amelia on my back, and it is the best $100 I have ever spent. I love being able to put Princess A in the carrier and hop on the subway without having to lug a stroller around. I think it would hurt my back more to hold a stroller.

I also carry Princess A a ton just out of habit. I still carry her from her crib to the high chair when she wakes up in the morning even though she can walk on her own. I decided this is unnecessary and I should let her walk to her high chair to give my back a break.I did this the first time yesterday and she cried.

I picked her up and Then The Husband asked my why I did this. I said because she got upset. Then he said I am the parent and therefore wiser so I need to make the healthiest decision which is not to carry my walking toddler. I hate it when my husband is right!

When did you stop carrying your kid all the time? Any tips? because my daughter is hooked!

Janitor at Mommy Blog PoopPeePuke.com

Lover of Funny at The World New York Comedy Club

Tags: , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “BABY CARRYING”

1. Melody September 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM #

I used to not like the idea of carriers because I thought it would be a hassle and I thought they looked ridiculous. I now kind of wish I had used one. At least for a little while. I also still carry my daughter to her high chair in the morning when I could very well let her walk. I can’t help it though.

• Shannon September 13, 2012 at 4:38 PM #

For me the carrier is so easy because I don’t have a car. I can’t live without it.

2. Melissa September 13, 2012 at 3:28 PM #

It depends. Honestly she may not be ready to give up that cloesness first thing in the morning. Try scaling back on some of the other carrying that you do first and see how that goes.

• Shannon September 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM #

That’s a really good point. I never thought about how she might need extra love in the morning.

3. deb September 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM #

Mine is only 8.5 weeks so lots of carrying going on w/and w/out slings. I’m a definite attachment parent and despite being an athlete, my back is feeling it. She was a tiny 5#13oz at birth, now almost 10#!

• Shannon September 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM #

Deb, I highly suggest an Ergo. My daughter is 27 pounds and my back has never hurt till recently and I don’t think it is the Ergo. I think my back hurts because I pick her up incorrectly.

• Deb September 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM #

I’ll take a look, thank you. Our Boba carrier has great lumbar support but I find it impractical for around the house. My Boba wrap is wonderful for her, like a big hug, but it stretches in 2 secs and is useless. Balboa sling is happy medium, I only use the very safe carries and one hand supports. I think when her legs stick out of carriers it’ll be better. Right now I set a time limit b/c I don’t want her in weight bearing frog position too long. This is the only time I wished I lived in a walking city. She hates the car seat and is not soothed by driving anywhere or having it snapped to a stroller. Ah newborns. :)

• Shannon September 13, 2012 at 7:29 PM #

Sounds like Amelia. She HATES carseats. I love the Ergo and but you might find it bulky for the house. I love it because it has pockets for my wallet and keys so I don’t need a purse when I go on walks.

4. Karen Nigh-Dent September 13, 2012 at 8:59 PM #

Katie was young when I stopped carrying her. She preferred walking, and David was born when she was 19 months old. Considering she was ove 20 lbs at 1 yrs old I couldn’t carry her. Instead of carrying her from the crib to the high chair could you lift her out, cuddle her for a few minutes and then have her walk with you? Even just take her hand and ask her to help you get breakfast ready. I know asking Katie for help was a sure way to get her to cooperate. That and telling her she was a big girl.

• Shannon September 13, 2012 at 10:45 PM #

The cuddling is a good idea I will try it tomorrow. Amelia loves to walk but when I am on the subway or doing other dangerous NYC things she has to be in a stroller or carrier for safety. The carrier is nice because when we get to our destination she can walk and I don’t have to push an empty stroller. But I may need to switch to the stroller if my back doesn’t get better.

• Karen Dent September 14, 2012 at 3:00 PM #

What about an umbrella stroller for when you are out, but she will not be in the stroller for long? They work for times when you need it for the subway etc…they are light and fold up small. You can even get some that have a small basket.

Karen

• Shannon September 14, 2012 at 4:29 PM #

I have looked at some at the store near me and they were still kinda bulky for my taste. I have seen some online that look really light but I am afraid to buy a stroller online. They are pretty cheap so I might just try it and hope for the best.

5. Marian September 14, 2012 at 7:02 PM #

I really didn’t worry too much about it because I knew the day would come all too soon when I would not be able to carry her at all. Encourage her to walk when she will to save your back. But when she wants to be in your arms, treasure those moments because the don’t last long.

• Shannon September 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM #

That’s a good point. I enjoy the carrier too because I feel like she is my cute little koala bear. I will be sad when she is too big to carry.