DID I MISS SOMETHING?

I admit I am not up on popular culture and have no idea what is cool anymore. The second my daughter was born I stopped watching the news and the only way I know new songs is if I hear them playing at the grocery store. This weekend I watched a re-run of the VMAs while I was on the treadmill jogging. It appears that Chris Brown is having some sort of comeback. Did I miss something?

super_cute_puppies

Cute Non Relevant Picture of Cavalier King Charles Puppies

Whenever I think about Chris Brown all I can think about is the picture of Rihanna after he beat her three years ago. I don’t want to post the picture because it is too disturbing for me to look at again. When I watched the VMAs it was if nothing bad had ever happened. While I do believe people can change the VMAs is directed towards teens. What kind of message does it send to the young women and men of America when someone who beat his girlfriend to a pulp only three years ago receives awards and applause?

article-0-0645AD0A000005DC-172_634x502

Cute Non Relevant picture of a baby pig and dog

I don’t think celebrities should be role models. They are human. If Rihanna wants to forgive her abuser and be friends with him that’s her choice. But watching Chris Brown win an award and hug Rihanna before accepting just made me feel uncomfortable. It was as if nothing had ever happened.

baby_pig1

Cute Non Relevant picture of a baby pig

On the other hand is there anything Chris Brown could ever do to make us forget the past? I want him to change and hope he has. If he has changed what is he supposed to do with himself? Live in a cave for the rest of his life? He’s a performer so of course he is back doing what he does best.

tumblr_lhwze8Mp6i1qdrf8oo1_500

Cute Non Relevant picture of another baby pig… I know I am obsessed

This post is more of a question. I think violence is horrible and there is never an excuse to hit someone. But if someone is violent I want them to get help and change. People who aren’t famous can go through this change privately without thinking about how their actions affect others. Celebrities on the other hand can’t. A young boy might think it’s ok to hit his girlfriend because hey look at Chris Brown. A young girl might think it’s ok for her boyfriend to hit her because Rihanna forgave Chris Brown. While it is unrealistic to think celebrities can be perfect and only influence children positively there must be some middle ground.

baby-pig-kissing-babie-kuesst-schwein-kuessen

Princess A is so Jealous Right Now… Last Non Relevant pig picture… I Promise!

The older my daughter gets the more I feel that our culture is screwed up and it is up to my husband and I to navigate the mess in an attempt to raise her as non screwed up as possible. There’s always going to be some famous person doing something stupid. But I still don’t think Chris Brown should have won an award on a show that is directed towards teens.

draft_lens2372454module25829192photo_1239171059baby_penguins_sleeping

Cute Non Relevant Picture of baby penguins

Do you think Chris Brown should have won? Is there anything he could do in your eyes to be forgiven?

P.S. The pictures used have nothing to do with this post. I didn’t want to post pictures of Chris Brown because he makes me sick to my stomach. So I posted pictures of cute animals because they make me happy when thinking about unhappy things.

Tags: , , , , ,

10 Responses to “DID I MISS SOMETHING?”

1. Karen Nigh-Dent September 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM #

I agree with you 100%. I also wonder where to draw the line. Celebrities deserve their private life. There is no way anyone can convince me that just because someone is a singer, actor, or whatever that they deserve to have every aspect of their life held up for everyone to judge. On the other hand, they are role models for many young people. That is just the nature of the beast, and people know this going into these positions. I haven’t watched the VMA’s yet (I have them recorded), but I know this will bother me. I too hope he has changed, but sadly his public image has been tarnished by what he did and that is what many people see and remember him for.
    This is such a double sided coin. On one hand it is his private life and it shouldn’t have an impact on his public life, but then so many people do look up to him and his private life has been made public. Does he owe his fans an explanation, not really, but there should be some backlash from what he did. I think the message sent here is not one that I want my son or daughter learning.
    I think the best we can do is be present in our kids lives and teach them the values we want them to learn, and when we see a situation like this talk about it with them. Let them know that what he did is not okay. I will say this, I thank God daily that no one cares what goes on in my life. I would hate to see every move I make, every mistake I make (whether big or small) end up on news stands everywhere. I am kind of thankful for my boring life.
    Karen

• Shannon September 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM #

I agree with you Karen and let me know what you think of everything at the VMAs maybe I am being overly sensitive. But I guess if we are present parents as you said we will be with our kids when we watch the VMAs and be able to explain our thoughts on the situation when it happens.

2. sugar11t September 10, 2012 at 3:17 PM #

I kinda think the same way as you Shannon.. I can´t forgive and forget what he did.. and for me, I can´t believe that he changed. deep inside he is still the same guy.. and one day he will do the same thing again!!
    And no.. he should not get an award at a show for Teens!!! NO WAY!!

• Shannon September 10, 2012 at 7:20 PM #

Deep down I don’t believe he has changed either. I know people who have been abused and abused other and it has taken them much longer than 3 years to change. But my positive side hopes he has changed.

3. mrswhyne September 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM #

I felt the same way about Bruno Mars a couple of years ago. He got busted for cocaine? and then he was nominated for a TEEN CHOICE AWARD?!?! Really, this guys just got busted for ILLEGAL DRUGS and you think he should win an award. I don’t have teen kids yet, but how would I explain that to them?! Oh, it’s ok kids..He’s famous?!?! Not fair!

• Shannon September 10, 2012 at 7:23 PM #

WOW… I was pregnant I think when that happened because I didn’t even know Bruno Mars was busted for cocaine. When you say it like that my issue with these situations are more clear. I think I wouldn’t care as much about these people winning Grammys but they are called Teen Choice Awards.

4. Melody September 10, 2012 at 3:20 PM #

I personaly think that Chris Brown is a dirt bag. As far as him winning the award and rather or not he is deserving, I dont know. Yes, what he did to Rhianna was beyond disgusting, the award is supposed to be based on talent. Not his personal life. The reason i’m on the fence about it is now adays the awards seem like they’re being won based on popularity and not just talent alone. If he won based solely on talent I don’t feel that I can argue that. If it was just popularity than, no I don’t think that he deserved it. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing. Heck, it’s probably based on both. I curtainly don’t think he should be idolized. As far as Rhianna forgiving him, that’s her choice and business. If it were me, no way lol. Anywho, sorry that was long but, that’s my take on it.

• Shannon September 10, 2012 at 7:25 PM #

Winning the award for popularity is another good point. Like I said earlier I think it would be different if he won a grammy. Can’t kids vote for these MTV awards? I hope it was rigged and he didn’t win because all the kids voted for him.

5. clochette191 September 10, 2012 at 3:59 PM #

We can’t forget what he did. It’s impossible ! I’m suppose that he won because he judged only on the music and not this actions. We learn to our children the good and the bad. What can we do when their celebrity does something wrong ? They put them on the pedestal although they are like them. I only hope our children will do this difference. I hope that Chris Brown changed but i think that he must prove it all his life. Change don’t erase the past. Sincerely, i don’t believe the violence may disappear but i hope i’m wrong.
    On his victory, I’d be a bad judge : i don’t like his music

• Shannon September 10, 2012 at 7:26 PM #

LOL Sabrina. I have never liked his music or his personality. Even before the scandal with Rihanna happened.