READING ROCKS

Princess A loves to read.

books-please-daughter

Be quiet! I am reading here!

Well, she can’t exactly read yet but she likes to stare at the pictures. Sometimes she can sit and look at a book for thirty minutes. Her favorites right now are Olivia and Little Golden Books
. But really as long as they are cute pictures of animals she is interested.

I have always loved to read but I went through a stage as a pre-teen where I didn’t think reading was cool. Luckily, instead of refusing to read I hid in my room and read so my friends didn’t know about my dark secret.

I hope that Princess A always loves to read but I feel like this is a good habit that may need some gentle reinforcing from time to time.

What do you do to encourage your kids to read?

Tags: , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “READING ROCKS”

1. hobee1971 August 28, 2012 at 3:21 PM #

I always bought him books that subject matter was interesting to him. He loves baseball (or any sports) trivia and U.S. History, especially stuff about the presidents. It was easy for him though because he just loved reading so much.

• Shannon August 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM #

I hope Amelia continues to be this easy. I buy her tons of Puppy Books!

2. charlene lassiter August 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM #

I would take you to every book fair @ school. All your grandparents bought you lots of books especially Grandma Doris and everyone read to you. Mom

• Shannon August 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM #

I had fun at the book fairs!

3. snarkysarcasticbish August 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM #

I effing love to read books. I went to kindle store and got 49 free books Saturday. I read so fast that I need the kindle when I go anywhere. I read the Harry Potter series in one week. So yea, if I tried to go on vacation, my suitcase is too heavy. LOL My kids had issues at first reading, but now???? Well all of em except for the youngest can read like crazy. My daughter is just like me. I get lost in books, i love it!!! My fave book at first was Katie the Kitten (gee i wonder why) then I loved any of the Poky Little Puppy. I got my kids to read the Little Critter series. They loved em. Another book I rec is Love You Forever. Twill make you cry. Trust me. Let me see, Dr. Seuss, Little Bear, Franklin, wow so many to even begin to think of…….. Enjoy reading Princess A.

• Shannon August 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM #

I got her The Poky Puppy today!!!!

• Angelia August 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM #

That was my brother’s favorite book at her age. Mom and dad had to read us that all the time because he would throw a fit if they didn’t. Eventually, we each got a story and they bought us puppy hand puppets with squeekers in the head. I still have mine the attic somewhere. I don’t know where Ray’s is. They would do puppet shows to tire us out and make us go to sleep.

• Shannon August 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM #

I need to get puppets!

4. hobee1971 August 28, 2012 at 9:00 PM #

When I was trying to figure out which character Princess chose for her costume I went to the Little Golden Books website and was immediately transported back to my childhood! The Poky Little Puppy and The Sailor Dog were especially memorable! Then I remembered that I had Hansel & Gretel and Cinderella. I may have wasted some taxpayer dollars daydreaming about the books from my childhood. I have to say thanks for bringing this to mind.

• Shannon August 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM #

I will have to look the sailor dog up. I have never heard of that one.

5. hobee1971 August 28, 2012 at 9:41 PM #

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sailor-Little-Golden-Book/dp/0307001431 I think I liked him because of his awesome raincoat and hat!

• Shannon August 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM #

Amelia will love this book!!!

6. Angelia August 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM #

I have a kindle that I carry around like a blanket. I read at every opportunity. It’s an obsession. And there are some facebook pages that post free kindle books and I’m a member of most of them.

• Shannon August 28, 2012 at 11:17 PM #

I don’t have a kindle. There is something about having an actual book that I LOVE.