CAR SEAT CONFUSION

car-seat-safety-mom-blog-1

Better safe than sorry

I have to admit I don’t know much about car seats. We rarely drive so Princess A is barely ever in her car seat.

Princess A has had the same car seat since she was born. Part of the reason we bought it is because it goes from birth to 30 pounds. Right now Princess A is 25 pounds so technically her car seat is still safe but when she is in it it just looks too big for her. Her legs hang out and I also don’t think she likes the fact that she is lying back. I talked to her doctor and she said I should wait until she is 30 pounds to switch because this car seat is safer and even if her legs are so long the stick out of the car seat it is better to have a broken leg than to get a head injury.

So we are waiting to get a new car seat but for fun I started to look at car seats for bigger kids. It sure was overwhelming! There are so many car seats and I don’t even understand the descriptions most of the time. None of my friends have car seats for their toddlers because it is such a hassle to take a cab with kids in NYC. I need one so Princess A can be in a car at her grandparents house and I like having a car seat so I can hop in a cab in case there is an emergency.

car-seat-safety-mom-blog-2

Princess A’s precious cargo.

So any advice for a novice car seat shopper? What car seat do you have for your precious cargo? I bought the one we currently have because the nurses at the hospital said it is the best. Maybe I should drop by the hospital this week and ask them what they suggest for older kids… or would they find that annoying?

Tags: , , , ,

13 Responses to “CAR SEAT CONFUSION”

1. Mandy August 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM #

That car seat is great for kids that are both under 30 inches and 30 lbs. If she is over either of those it’s time for an upgrade. Car seats are totally a personal preference. Cost for something infrequently used, ease of carrying it up and down and in and around town, and room to store it in the house would all have to play a part. I would look into Sunshine kids car seats. I have friends that swear by them. Look them up on amazon and see how they fold up easy and can be carried like a backpack.

• Shannon August 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM #

I have never heard of that company. I will have to check it out because a carseat that fold up into a back pack is exactly what I need. And I checked my car seat and you are right about the 30 inches… now if I can just get Princess A still long enough to measure her.

2. sugar11t August 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM #

I´m not sure bout the seats in the USA…. but I have the 3rd one now for Janne and we have an institution called Stiftung Warentest that tests stuff like that so I knew which one would be the best for my kid at the right time! Bist is always to have one where the head will be protected!!

• Shannon August 20, 2012 at 8:06 PM #

I found out that my local fire station checks car seats. I am going to stop by tomorrow to see if they offer advice on the best car seat lol

3. Amie August 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM #

My sister in law swears by Britax, so that is what we have, also. Can be rear facing up to 40lbs, and FF up to 70 lbs. Her infant seat was a Peg Perego…

• Shannon August 20, 2012 at 11:08 PM #

Funny you mention Britax because I was looking at one today.

• Mandy August 21, 2012 at 1:13 AM #

We have a Britax for both or our kids and love them. They are easy to install in the car (where ours mostly live), but very difficult to carry around. Having traveled with them through airports in taxis etc…. I would make sure you pay attention to how heavy and awkward they are to carry around.

4. Betty Remy August 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM #

i would love to win this when we get the grandchild we have to take the carseat out of one car to ours this way we would have one

5. Michele August 21, 2012 at 8:45 AM #

I have the same car seat for my daughter too – It was highly recommended to us and I thought it was great until her legs started hanging over the edge and her little chubby thighs kept getting stuck in the buckle :( I know it is supposed to fit children up to 30 lbs, but she just looked so uncomfortable that I decided it was time to pack it away…. I researched new ones and ended up purchasing an Evenflo car seat that got excellent reviews – it was SO simple to install and it’s so roomy and she looks so comfy when riding in it now – here is a link if you want to check it out – good luck! http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11468535&searchURL=false

• Shannon August 21, 2012 at 9:23 AM #

Thanks Michele. Good to hear from someone with the same problem. Princess A looks uncomfortable as well and a little ridiculous because she is so big.

6. Karen Nigh-Dent August 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM #

The first poster was right, you have to look at height as well as weight. Keeping her rear facing is what is most important. It has been years since I bought a car seat, but my good friends have young kids and they also swear by Britax. They are highly rated. You can get them so they are rear facing and then are able to be turned around when she is ready for forward facing. The standards on when to turn them keep changing. Last I heard it was recommended at least 2 if not longer.

• Shannon August 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM #

Thanks Karen.. I can’t believe I didn’t think about height. I measured her and I am pretty sure she is at least 30 inches… so I am going to the store tomorrow.