THE SUN WILL COME OUT TOMORROW

grandma and grandpa's house mom blog

WTF?!?!?!?!?! LIARS!!!!!!!!!!!

The Husband and I were toying with the idea of taking Princess A to see Annie on Broadway. Now I don’t want to go with her because she is toddler and doesn’t understand the concept of tomorrow. Princess A only understands NOW. If we took her to see Annie, I am afraid she would start crying, scream “NOW, I want the sun to come out NOW!”, and throw herself on the ground whenever “The Sun Will Come Up Tomorrow” was sung.

Ever since Princess A started going to her grandparent’s house we would tell her you are going to your grandparent’s house this weekend. We thought it helped prep her. Now we know that was solely for our own benefit because this weekend when we told Princess A that she was going to her grandparent’s house tomorrow she got her suitcase, went to the door, and said “Bye, Bye”.

She ignored the whole tomorrow part and just heard “going to grandparent’s house”. After about 5 minutes of her saying bye to all her toys she threw a fit because her grandparents weren’t at the door. This is when she made the face above. I felt really bad but I had no idea that she would get upset because she has never gotten upset before. It shows how much Princess A is starting to understand.

So until Princess A can understand the concept of tomorrow I will never tell her what she is doing tomorrow. I have learned my lesson.

Any language barriers I need to be aware of when talking to my foreign toddler?

Tags: , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “THE SUN WILL COME OUT TOMORROW”

1. Melissa August 14, 2012 at 12:08 PM #

Tonight, this afternoon, any time other than NOW is a foreign concept. I don’t blame you for never wanting to see that face again! That is a guaranteed “mom guilt” face!

• Shannon August 14, 2012 at 8:16 PM #

I felt so bad and didn’t feel better till her grandparents came to get her

2. AURELIE August 15, 2012 at 6:30 AM #

Ahhhh We don’t disappointing our children …… but it is true that the children have difficulty with the notion of time, with my son, I have early adopt the “technique” of the “sleep”(“dodo” Childish french language), that I pricked moreover to my friends mom, in fact to explain him that we were going to make something tomorrow or in a 1 week, I said to him “you make an evening sleep(dodo) and it will be there ” or in 7 sleep(dodo) if it is in a week (well that it is when they are already a little bigger that they know how to count lol)
    Or otherwise like you I don’t tell him what he is doing tomorrow because according to what we make (park,family gathering with the cousins or the others) he doesn’t support to WAIT …. and he is 7 years old

We learn every day with our children

Have a good day

KISS FROM FRANCE

• AURELIE August 15, 2012 at 6:32 AM #

*dont’ love dissapointing

• Shannon August 15, 2012 at 9:13 AM #

Hello Aurelie!!!! When Amelia learns how to count I will have to do that with her. That is a very good idea!

3. Camilla (@Gamolie) August 15, 2012 at 12:21 PM #

My daughter’s four and still doesn’t quite get it. We’ll say “Okay tomorrow we’re going to the dentist” and then when it gets to the next day and we say we’re going, she yells “But you said we were going tomorrow!” It’s hard to explain the concept of today is yesterday’s tomorrow. *lol*

• Shannon August 15, 2012 at 1:06 PM #

I never thought it would work the reverse way lol