MY LOVE HATE RELATIONSHIP WITH FASHION

plumley's togs telly I love fashion but I also hate it. I love the ability a dress has to change my mood by simply slipping it on, the way big sunglasses always make me feel glam, and finding unique accessories. When I was a kid I dreamed of being a fashion designer and sometimes I think in a past life I was. I feel like fashion is wearing whatever clothes make you happy.

Not everyone agrees with my definition which is also why I hate fashion. Pick up any fashion magazine and it is full of rules about how you should never wear white after Labor day, your PJs in public, and other random demands. But what if wearing the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles my husband bought me for Valentine’s Day make me happy? What if I decide have an official lazy PJ day and cuddle with my daughter, husband, and puppy all day because it is fun and then we have pancakes for dinner? What if my daughter’s PJs are white and it’s October? Should I not do this because fashion magazines say I should never wear PJs in public?

This is why I never read fashion magazines because they are basically glorified party poopers. So I have decided while I love fashion, I will never follow the “rules” because whoever made them needs a strong dose of fun. I will follow my daughter’s example and wear my sunglasses upside down if I so choose because it makes me happy!

T-Shirt via Plumley’s Togs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “MY LOVE HATE RELATIONSHIP WITH FASHION”

1. Karen Dent August 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM #

I love your views on fashion. Seriously if you are not comfortable or happy then the clothes are not for you. I practically live in pj’s. I take comfort over fashion all the time. I have many issues with fashion magazines, and I personally don’t read them.
    Clothes should be comfortable otherwise what is the point?
    Karen

• PJ Smoll August 7, 2012 at 1:52 PM #

I absolutely love this. My grandmother was a stinker on the wearing white after Labor day and I just don’t get it, or believe it. Thanks for this post.

• Shannon August 7, 2012 at 6:53 PM #

I don’t get it either!

• Shannon August 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM #

I agree… except I love shoes and sometimes wear ones that aren’t comfy because they are pretty.

2. Dijana August 9, 2012 at 6:56 AM #

I had said it hundreds of times, and I shall be saying it (probably) for the rest of my life: Fashion is a bi*ch. Although we do not have Labor Day rule, or Labor Day for that matter, I absolutely refuse to conform to some ridiculous statements about what I should or shouldn’t wear.
    I might have said it somewhere on this blog, that despite graduating from design school, I wasn’t even tempted to pursue serious career in fashion design. The reason is simple: I believe that people have right to express their personality through their clothes and I’m not going to dictate them what to do.
    Did anyone ever asked what would happen if all the people of the world followed fashion trends to the ‘t’?
    We would all look pretty much the same, like some sort of clones without personality.
    Wear what you like, smile at strangers, help an elderly person cross the street. Wink at the little kid in the checkout lane and pull faces to make it smile. Do what makes YOU happy! Happiness and smiles are catchy like cooties :)

• Shannon August 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM #

LOL yes happiness is very catchy.