DOG LESSONS

cavalier king charles spaniel

The Wise One

Everyday I am thankful that we have Freckles to raise Princess A. I can’t imagine life without him. She is finally learning to treat other children and babies gently and share. And guess what? It’s all because of our dog.

My friend brought her kid over this week. Instead of Princess A acting her usual self and becoming possessive of everything and pushing anyone who tries to touch her toys she went over kissed the child and gave her Freckles’ dog bone.

I know this sounds weird but Freckles dog bone is the best thing ever in Princess A’s eyes and she pushes other kids away from it all the time. So for her to share the bone was a big step in the right direction.

Now when she is aggressive with other children I tell her to treat the kid like she would treat a puppy. Then she says, “Puppy” and pets the child gently. Again this may sound weird but somehow Princess A understands that she needs to treat animals gently but doesn’t understand yet that she needs to do that with her peers. If she treats new friends like they are puppies she is nice to them so I don’t care if other parents think I am crazy. Whatever works!

How do you get your kids to be nice to other kids?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “DOG LESSONS”

1. Melissa August 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM #

I think it’s wonderful that she is learning to treat others by Freckles example. That is a sweet pictures with him peeking out of the stroller!

2. Jolijn August 4, 2012 at 6:12 AM #

Ahww that´s so cute! Freckles and Amelia <3

Princess A, be nice to other kids, or your mommy will give Freckles dog bone to Freckles and never let u play with it again…

Tell her that :)

• Shannon August 4, 2012 at 7:13 AM #

LOL That is a good idea Jolijn!

3. Mandy August 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM #

be a good example, positive reinforcement and repetition. training kids, just like training a pet.

4. Melody August 4, 2012 at 2:34 PM #

First, I think that’s adorable that Princess A is protecting Freckles’ things. Second, I wish I knew what to say in regards to getting kids to share with others. We pretty much had to just try to teach Amy how to share, which is quite difficult with an almost 2 year old lol. The only child that she really gets to see or play with is her cousin. Unfortunately right now in our lives it’s difficult to find the time to take her to parks and we can’t afford mommy or daddy and me classes. The weird thing is, she loves other kids and babies. I guess that’s also a good thing. We baby sit Amy’s cousin at least once a week and she’s slowly learned to share. They both used to grab toys from each other and have fits. Now even if one of them takes a toy from the other, they don’t care. I’m sure it’s because they have plenty to play with. They just move on to the next toy or offer other toys to each other. Now, if we could just get our littlest dog to stop running of with her toys, we’d be good.

• Shannon August 4, 2012 at 7:46 PM #

My dog does that too!! Princess A always shares with kids that are younger than her… it’s the kids that are her age or older that we have issues with.