PINTEREST PERFECTION

messy bun pinterest

Messy Bun

So I am addicted to Pinterest. I love fun and unique images. It’s also a way for me to online window shop and pin items I would love to purchase but don’t have the money to. At first I just pinned. Then I followed some people and looked at their pins. I found some easy and fun hairstyles, recipes, and plain old cool pictures. Then a month ago I started to look at the popular pins and that’s when the problems started. It has images of the best red velvet cupcake recipes next to pictures of women measuring their waists and sprinkled in are pictures of dream weddings and baby nurseries. It looks like a spoof on what a misogynist in the 1950s would think women think about all day. The worst part is it is real and not made up.

Right around the time I started exploring Pinterest I started feeling very insecure and emotionally eating. I couldn’t explain to anyone why I felt like this I just felt blahhhhhh. Last week I talked to my therapist about Pinterest and she said many people use it for “thinspiration” and ideas for what to cook and later puke back up. She also said many eating disorder patients are forbidden from looking at Pinterest until they are fully recovered.

It makes sense to me because the mixed messages from images on Pinterest have effected my subconscious greatly. I haven’t been bulimic or anorexic for quite some time but I still struggle with over eating and insecure thoughts. Pictures of brownies next to weight loss tips are the last thing I need so I have decided that I will continue pinning but stop looking at the popular page. I will only look at the pins of people I follow.

Also, Pinterest is a form of social media that comprises of mostly women. It makes me sad that the most popular pins have to do with weight loss. I rarely see any pins on the popular page about politics or social change. Which makes me wonder if in order to change the world so that women get equal pay, representation in government, and treatment maybe we need to change our pins and thoughts first?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “PINTEREST PERFECTION”

1. Dijana July 17, 2012 at 8:14 AM #

You should take the stuff with a pinch of salt (no pun intended). Thinspiration, schmimspiration! The way I see things, it’s pretty simple. I accept that I’m fat. Not chubby, not big boned (although I do have big bones, but that’s genetics), not large, not thick, just plain fatso.
    It is one of those simple things, you do the crime-you do the time. And my crime comes in the form of cakes, cupcakes, cookies, biscuits, anything sweet except halwa.
    I reckon if I do not eat the stuff, I’ll shed the pounds by the hour, but I’m not willing to. The reason is simple…again…
    I don’t want to regret things that I haven’t done. For 15 odd years I have managed to live without regrets and I do not intend to start piling up regrets now.
    Who doesn’t like how I look like, has 2 choices: 1) They can close their eyes or 2) They can get the hell outta my space.
    I would suggest that you stick to your guns and just dismiss what you don’t think is right. If someone puts an inch tape next to 7 layer chocolate cake, guess where I would look? Not at the inch tape, I’m tellin’ ya!
    People have different techniques of coping with things. Some stick photos, some hate themselves, some over eat, some count the calories in an ice cube. Been there, done that…It wasn’t making me happy. I’m not saying that food makes me happy either, but if there’s a cookie that would make me feel better for 3 seconds, I’m gonna eat it. Period. Life is too short to spend it on what others think about me/you. And if someone doesn’t like that, well, tough $#it buttercup, I don’t exist to please the world 🙂
    Sorry for the long rant…some topics just get the best of me, and online communication is harder without the face expressions 🙂

• Shannon July 17, 2012 at 11:11 AM #

I like your comment and agree with you. I guess because of my past certain things effect me still. That’s why I am going to stop browsing Pinterest. It’s just not good for my mind lol

2. Karen Dent July 17, 2012 at 10:49 AM #

That is interesting about Pinterest. I have an account. I have a few things on it, but rarely check in. I use it to get ideas for cakes and cupcakes for events (it is where I found the hydrangea cupcakes), I get hairstyles for Katie (it is where I learned to fishtail braid), and ideas for my house.
    Weight loss for me is personal so I don’t usually put it online. I am changing my eating habits, but at the same time I am not denying myself. If I want a piece of cake I have it, just not as big of a piece. I need to lose weight and I am trying. I have lost about 8 lbs as of this morning, but it is very very slow going for me.
    Eating disorders are such a tricky thing. It is so easy for someone who doesn’t have one to say “just eat the damn hamburger!” or “don’t worry about it, love your body the way it is.” Unfortunately it isn’t that easy. I remember when my cousin was close to dying from anorexia and my family was split between those who tried to understand and those who were in the “just eat!” categories. I think it makes recovery that much more difficult for everyone. I think any “mental” illness is that way. My brother has severe depression. A lot of people don’t see that as an “illness”. He hears “just get over it” all the time. Again it isn’t that easy. I told my Mom she has to see it as an illness, just like my dad’s cancer was an illness. My dad couldn’t help getting cancer, and my brother couldn’t help getting depression. Now we just have to help him cope and live with it.
    Women are so hard on themselves, and society doesn’t make it any easier. I see young girls obsessed with how they look. I had Katie to the dr last week for a check up. She is 10 years old, weighs 76 lbs and is solid muscle. She dances over 14 hours a week and is very active at home. She also eats healthy. When the dr told her how much she weighed she got this look of horror on her face. I admit is worries me that she thought that was too much. Her brother made the comment last week that Katie weighs more than him (we were figuring out who I would help over the fence to the check if the back door was open after I locked us out of the house). It is true, she weighs a little more than him, she is older. She immediately got defensive that he was calling her “fat”. He wasn’t. It makes me sad that a healthy, fit, 10 yr old little girl is already thinking in terms of “fat” or “thin”. I wish society would put an emphasis on healthy. Too thin, is just as bad, if not worse than too heavy.
    Karen

• Shannon July 17, 2012 at 11:08 AM #

I agree. But it’s so hard to get away from this stuff. Pinterest is full of crazy diet plans, before and after pictures, and quotes about staying thin and not eating. And all this is next to pictures of cupcakes. As a kid I always got really insecure when I was weighed at doctor appointments and I was insecure because I didn’t look like a disney princess. I honestly don’t know what I will do with my daughter so let me know if you discover any good tips.

• Dijana July 17, 2012 at 4:14 PM #

I felt that I must weigh in after this conversation with a statement that I wholeheartedly agree: There’s no need for any of us to go under the knife or follow crazy diets. The only perfection comes with Photoshop 🙂
        Joking aside, as long as we ‘follow’ the standard of beauty that comes from Tinseltown, we’re not going to make any progress in educating the youth. Life is not only about counting the calories.
        I have struggled in the past with eating disorder and if it was not for support of true friends and family, I would have not been able to post these comments. However, I put that behind me. I’m not saying that there’s no temptation ever, but then I remember that beauty is individual opinion and standard, so I leave hating to the haters 🙂

• Shannon July 17, 2012 at 6:43 PM #

That’s awesome your friends are so supportive. It’s shocking how much photoshop can change people. I need to take your advice and leave the hating to the haters.