LIKE MOTHER LIKE DAUGHTER

bulldog baby kiss

I love animals

Yesterday, I was talking to my husband about how it is weird that my daughter’s third word was puppy, won’t kiss people but will kiss all animals (even reptiles), and if she is put in a room full of toys always plays with the animal toys. I told my husband how proud I am of her for being kind to animals but don’t understand how she got this behaviour.

Then my husband reminded me that I sing to Freckles about how he is the best puppy all day, kiss Freckles on the lips, and take her to the zoo every chance I get. Maybe that’s where her love of animals comes from?

Above is another picture of Princess A during her make out session with Freckles’ girlfriend. I love this picture because it shows how Princess A squats down, closes her eyes, and slowly kisses animals. It is so cute. Today she kissed a chinchilla at the petting zoo.

While I am happy that Princess A has copied this part of The Husband and my personalities, it has shown me how she looks up to us and copies us. Which reminds me that again I need to take better care of myself. Which reminds me that I am reminding myself to do this and then do it for about 2 weeks and then go back to my old habits of not sleeping enough, making self-deprecating remarks about myself, and not taking the extra 5 minutes a day to make myself feel pampered.

But now I am out of time and excuses. Princess A understands everything and copies my every move. So from now on… and this time I really mean it… I am going to treat myself as I would treat my daughter.

Are you awesome at taking care of others but struggle to take care of yourself? If so, have you fixed the problem? If you have what are your tips… and if not what is stopping you?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “LIKE MOTHER LIKE DAUGHTER”

1. Céline July 11, 2012 at 2:14 PM #

It’s a beautiful picture. Princess A and dog are so cute

• Shannon July 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM #

Yes, it’s her favorite dog besides Freckles.

2. Mandy July 11, 2012 at 6:42 PM #

There will never be enough time to take care of yourself unless you actually make time. Went to the doc yesterday and he said it takes about 3 months of making yourself do something before it truly becomes habit and sticks.

When I hit 30 (eek) I decided to make a conscious effort to actually do something with my face everyday so that I feel and look more put together. I started using BB cream and it takes like 30 seconds and I’m done. Such a small step, but big impact to me. Then I set a bed time. I will not be up past 11 (many times I am in bed before that)… unless insomnia hits (rare) or we are on a date. The household chores/blogging can be done tomorrow.

Then I reminded myself that my most important thing of the day was to actually be present for my children. At 3 they start preschool… then I’ll have hours a day to get things done.

• Shannon July 11, 2012 at 8:03 PM #

Good point about preschool Mandy. I also didn’t know that it took 3 months for something to stick. So maybe in 3 months I will be able to stick to a bedtime. I think sleep is what I need most!

3. Jess July 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM #

I am the worst at taking care of myself. Not only do I take care of Warren first, but other people I don’t even know! I’ve gotten better at the latter, I’ve done some pretty stupid things in the past (was addicted to cutting myself, had sever depression, attempted suicide..etc.) So I kind of have this uncontrollable urge to do all I can for anyone feeling like that. There are sooooooo many girls on tumblr (guys too but I find it’s a girls on a bigger scale. I think guys tend to keep it all in more.) that are on the brink of doing something horrible to themselves. Long ago I came to terms with the fact that there’s only so much I can do. But it feels wrong to not do all that I can. So if that means I stay up way too late talking to someone, oh well, I know they lasted one more day. I’m not naive, I know I can’t “save” anyone. I’m not a counselor, nor do I work in a hospital. But at least I can give them someone who understands and maybe a little hope and faith things will get better. I know for a fact I’ve saved a few lives simply by being willing to talk.

As for everything else, I’m always the bottom priority. I know a lot of people don’t put much faith in astrology, but if you look up some qualities of Virgo’s. I’m pretty much the quintessential Virgo. I’m always organizing, I’m loyal, and I’ll throw a lot of things aside in order to help. These are good qualities, but I suck making time for myself in there. I know I should. But I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to change.

• Shannon July 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM #

I am like that with pinterest. I see so many people with eating disorders and want to help them. I wonder what a Pisces personality is like. I don’t know much about astrology.