LOST ANIMALS

lost cat new york city

Help me please?!?!?!?!?!

When I was a kid I was obsessed with turtles. Whenever I saw one I made my parents save it and adopt it. Well, now karma is coming back to get me but I think it is cute. We were walking down the street and Princess A pointed to a cat and started screaming. I assumed the cat belonged to the store owner because a lot of NY stores keep cats in them. The store owner said it wasn’t his cat and that it had been there for awhile. I noticed the cat didn’t have a collar. Luckily, there was an animal shelter a couple blocks away.

I put the cat in the part of the stroller that Freckles usually sits in and rolled the cat to the shelter. Freckles didn’t mind because he LOVES cats. We dropped the cat off and then Princess A started crying because she wanted to take it home. I felt bad but it wouldn’t be right. We have so much going on I don’t think we could give the cat a good home.

Have your kids found stray animals and wanted to keep them? Were they successful? How did you handle it? I thank you for your advice in advance because I have a feeling this is going to be happening a lot.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “LOST ANIMALS”

1. Lisanne July 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM #

Calypso is not MY cat, but I remember when my roommate brought her home, she wasn’t really socialized (she was a alleycat, save by my roommate sister and he brought her home when she was around 4 months old). I think that’s the problem. Sure, they can have diseases but when they are not use around humans, it can be dangerous, especially with toddlers around, who doesn’t like to wait and doesn’t understand that the cat is afraid. Callie transformed my rommate hands in strainer during the first day (ok… he was kind of chasing her around because he wanted to catch her and she kept hinding). I tried different ways to socialize her and use her to humans and I got lots of stroke claws in return. It took me about 4 to 5 months before she would just stay not far away from me and a couple more before she let me pet her.

Still, it took some work but now Calypso is a big one year old kitty cat that love to sleep with me and not be far from me!

• Shannon July 6, 2012 at 3:25 PM #

Good job!!!! The cat we found was pretty fine with being put in the stroller and taken to the stroller. Maybe he knew we were nice. That’s the other problem with getting a cat now is Amelia’s age. Freckles has been with her since the beginning and gets that she is a rough toddler. When Amelia meets cats or dogs that haven’t seen her grow up they are like “What is that toddling screaming thing chasing after me.” and they run away and hide. Maybe when she is a bit older The Husband and I can take claritin and then get her a cat 🙂

• Lisanne July 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM #

It could also be the “family” project. Adopt a cat from a shelter and everything. You can also adopt a older cat or from a friend whose cat got kittens. My roommate sister found and adopted Callie mom over a year ago. She soon found out that she always wanted to go outside. Her new momma tought that she didn’t want to stay with her and let her go. Only to found out soon enough that the cat came back, followed by four little kitten who could barely walk (they were pratically newborn kittens). Since we don’t really know their birth date, her sister kept the kittens a little longer. So, my roommate brought Callie home a little older than usual. I think that helped a bit. If you want to adopt a cat and are subject to allergies and all that stuff, be careful on what KIND of cat you get. Callie is part chatte d’Espagne and they tend to lose a lot of fur. I brush her but after five minutes or so, she start to meow like I was killing her and want to get away… MEH!

• Shannon July 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM #

I will research but when we got Freckles we were told he was a different kind of dog than he is. We were told he would be 12 pounds and not shed. I feel like when you adopt you have to be prepared for anything because you don’t know who the parents are lol. Unless you get young animal from a friend.

2. Karen Dent July 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM #

That is hard. I was the kid that was always “adopting” animals. I didn’t get a dog until I was almost a teenager, but before that I looked after all the stray animals in the neighbourhood. There was one family that let their cats roam around and procreate all the time. I would always find the kittens and spend my allowance buying them food. There was a group of us kids in the neighbourhood who were always building forts. I remember taking in a cat once as our “mascot” when winter hit, Bandit was taken in by one of the other kids and his parents.
    My son wants a kitten, desperately. I have told him we have a puppy, a canary and he has a dwarf bunny, there will be no cats. It kills me though because I would get one in a heartbeat even though it isn’t a good time for one. My husband puts his foot down on that though LOL!
    My house will always be full of animals. I wish I had become a vet. If my kids see a “lost pet” sign they will spend hours looking for the pet and worrying about it.
    I love that they love animals as much as I do. It shows they are compassionate kids, who realize the value in all living creatures.
    Karen

• Shannon July 6, 2012 at 3:21 PM #

I wanted to be a vet when I was a kid. I do love that Amelia cares for animals so much when she kisses a dog or cat it makes me cry out of happiness and cuteness. Our dog likes cats. The main problem is that The Husband and I are allergic to cats and in our building you can only have one pet so we would have to hide the cat which would be hard wen routine work is done. 🙁

3. Simone July 6, 2012 at 3:39 PM #

It´s hard to give an advice to you.
    I wanted to adopt every stray animal I saw when I was a kid. And believe me, I saw a lot of them.
    My mother hated cats and my father didn´t want any animals at home. I managed to get me some guinea pigs although I was desperate to have a cat.
    My love for animals continued and I studied Veterinary Medicine, much to my parents dismay, because they wanted me to become a “real doctor” or something like that.
    Anyway. I´m a mother of three now (13 and 7 year old boys and a 4 year old girl).
    We have 2 dogs, an bunch of cats and 2 rabbits and my kids didn´t try to bring in any stray cats or dogs until now. I guess they didn´t, because they are living in a small zoo already.
    But if they would ask me to give shelter to some strays I would tell them, that a new animal wouldn´t be happy here with all our cats and dogs and all the noises 3 kids and their ever present friends are making all day long.
    I´m pretty sure, it would work with my sons, but my little princess would fight me tooth and nails. She is as crazy if animals are involved as I was as a kid:-)

You have to find an age appropriate explanation Princess A can accept.
    Easier said than done I know.
    Just play it be ear and you will find a way.
    Worst case would be another animal to care for:-)

Consider yourself lucky, because Princess A wants to take care of some stray cats already. That says a lot about how caring and loving she is.

Best wishes from Germany
    Simone

• Shannon July 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM #

Thank you Simone. Congrats on being a vet!!!!! That is so cool. I like your truthful answer of how the animals may not be happy in your home. We live in a small 2 bedroom NY apartment so it would be difficult to have another animal. We do go to a petting zoo regularly so she can get her animal fix. I feel like Amelia will still fight me on this because she loves animals so much already but I think your honest approach is the best I can do. 🙂