HOT BABY IN THE CITY

shannon sutherland hot summer ideas

It’s Hot out Here… there must be a Princess A in the atmosphere!

It is really hot in NYC. Every time a heat wave ends another begins. I don’t want to keep my child indoors all the time but I also don’t want her to get overheated.

Right now I put sunscreen on her religiously, always bring a bottle of water with me, and let her run through the sprinklers whenever we pass a playground. An idea I came up with today is to get her hat wet and then let her wear it. Princess A loved this and I finally got her to wear a hat for longer than 2 seconds!

We also took Freckles to the groomer for a short summer cut. Not only does he look very handsome but he seems to be happier in the hot weather.

One of my friends gave me the idea of getting a t-shirt wet, putting it in the freezer, and then putting it on after you come in from the heat. I did this for myself, Princess A, and Freckles one morning and it was a hit.

This is my first summer with a child that cares about whether or not she goes outside so I need more ideas about keeping her comfortable in the heat.

How do you keep your kids cool in hot weather?

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “HOT BABY IN THE CITY”

1. Laura July 6, 2012 at 3:36 PM #

The heat is bad everywhere with record heat here too. I really hate it. The Cardinals ball players have been using the Frogg Toggs chilling towel. You wet them and the evaporation cools things. They are on amazon. I actually got these Cool Off towelettes that are individually wrapped wipes that have natural herbs and extracts. Supposedly using them to wipe areas of your body cools things off. I’ll be trying them at the ballgame tonight and I’ll let you know.

• Shannon July 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM #

Cool!!!!! I will try them if they work for you. Have fun!!!!

2. Karen Dent July 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM #

We have had wicked heat here too (yes Canada gets hot LOL!) Actually it got so bad on Sunday Katie fainted while altar serving at church. I looked up and she was slumped on the ground. We spend lots of time in the pool, the air conditioning, sprinklers and hats and sunscreen are a must.
    I used to wet the kids hats too and it seemed to keep them a lot cooler. I would also give them lots of freezies. They loved them and they were not as messy as popsicles. Actually when Katie was a baby my dad had stomach/esophagus cancer and couldn’t eat, but he ate freezies to keep his throat from drying out. I remember him sitting with Katie on one side and my nephew on the other and all of the bonding over freezies.
    Karen

• Shannon July 7, 2012 at 7:34 AM #

What’s a freezy? And I didn’t realize Canada got so hot. I hope Katy feels better!

• Karen Dent July 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM #

A freezie a thin plastic bag filled with frozen flavoured water. It is a tube. They are also called an ice pop? Although there is no stick in it.

We have them in the freezer all the time. You cut the top off and eat them. They taste good and help keep you cool!

Karen

• Shannon July 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM #

Oh duh! I love those! I will have to buy some!