PROTECT YOUR KIDS ONLINE

Parental Control Software - Free Trial

I spend a lot of time online and I often wonder what I will do when Princess A is older. It would be hypocritical for me to forbid her from being on social networks but I have experienced first hand the dangers of the internet. Also, schools now require kids to do a lot of their homework on the computer. How can you tell if they are actually doing their homework or surfing the web?

I have some time to come up with these answers for my family but I am really interested to hear how my fellow readers handle their child’s internet use?

I have discovered a valuable product that can help you monitor your child’s online activity. McGruff Safe Guard offers a product where you can monitor your child’s internet from home or at work. They offer a free thirty day trial so you can test it out before you commit to purchasing it. They also have a free Child Internet Safety Pledge that I think gives some good guidelines for kids. When Princess A is older I might put something like this next to her computer.

Let me know what you think of McGruff Safe Guard and how you protect your kids online!

Tags: , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “PROTECT YOUR KIDS ONLINE”

1. Karen Dent June 27, 2012 at 1:51 PM #

This is something I am facing now. Katie is 10 and David is 8.5 yrs old. They each have their own computers, and I know they are on computers at school. I am computer illiterate. I can do basic searches, go on Facebook, Twitter and find your blog LOL! My husband thankfully is an electrical engineer and a programmer. He is my go to person for tech stuff and he set up the kids computers. He has software on their computers that sends him regular emails telling him what sites they are visiting. The kids have been warned what sites they are allowed to visit and they are good about sticking to it. They know if they do something they are not supposed to the computers will be taken away.
    I do not allow Youtube yet. There is too much stuff on there they don’t need to see. The only way they get to see youtube is if they ask if they can watch a certain video and I may or may not okay it. They are also not allowed on Facebook or Twitter. There is WAY to much stuff on there they don’t need to see. When they do have Facebook or Twitter then they will also have to hand over their passwords to me, and I will be doing random checks on what they are doing. Facebook I know has an age limit of 13, I still question if that is too young after some of the stuff I have seen on there. A lot of their friends have Facebook and have to lie about their age to have it. Some of these kids are only 7. That is too young in my opinion.
    We also have the kids do most of their computer work in the living room or the kitchen where we can see what they are up to.
    The internet scares me. It brings about a whole new kind of parenting.

• Shannon June 27, 2012 at 2:49 PM #

I think 7 is too young for fb too. Unfortunately it is so easy to lie about your age and get an account. I have many friends whose kids have done this. Luckily the parents found out through computer programs. Many schools I know now have programs that block youtube, fb, twitter, and a couple of other sites. I like your idea of making them do their homework in the living room ect. I doubt a kid would look at anything too bad when their parent might walk behind them at any minute. I am pretty bad at computers… it’s amazing that I have a blog. I am lucky because The Husband purposely tries to stay in the loop with all things tech so that we can protect Princess A when she is older.

2. Patti Geric Gossett (@pattiginpa) June 27, 2012 at 2:14 PM #

Mine are 21-17 & 15 and I hear you. each kid had his or her own laptop in their room but we restricted the internet on them – and we had several programs with which to block and monitor all activity on those laptops. There is no right to privacy as far as I am concerned when you are under 18 and living in my house. I am going to at least be able to review where you have gone, to whom you have been speaking and what plans you might be trying to make.

It lead to many fights believe me – and a lot of “I hate you other parents let my friend do this or that (riiiiight). My response was always – I am not here to be your friend and have you like me. Harsh I know but the internet has brought the crazy people better access to my kids – I’ll be harsh in order to protect them.

• Shannon June 27, 2012 at 2:44 PM #

I don’t think you are being harsh at all. I will be the same thing thing and I think I will copy you and say, “I am not here to be your friend.” I am just glad there are programs because how would you know if your kids was doing their homework or not.

3. Lisanne June 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM #

Another thing that interesting to do is to give them a time limit, like letting them use the computer only 1 hour a week (you have to adjust the time with the child age, homework and interest with computers). At the time we live now, kids learn really young how to use every technical stuff. Bboth my niece and nephew knew around 2 years old what to do for playing games on their mom iphone and kept taking it for that. My sister-in-law didn’t liked it, so she put a time limit and they have to ask before using her iphone now. She uses approximately the same rules with computers and the TV. Even if they don’t know what else to do (and whines about it), they HAVE to find something else to do.

• Shannon June 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM #

Thanks Lisanne. Time limits sound like another good tool.