HOLD MY HAND

hold hand elevator finger stuck

I want to hold your hand

This is what it looks like when I hold Princess’s hand when she walks. I hold her wrist for a better grip and she grabs onto my hand trying to get it off her. When we are walking outside my rules are non negotiable. I say, “If you don’t hold onto my hand back in the stroller you go!” She must understand me because it works every time.

When we are inside our apartment building I let her enjoy her freedom and don’t make her hold my hand. Usually this works fine and she stays close enough to me that I can watch her. Well last week something crazy happened. She had her hands on the elevator as it was opening. The elevator dragged her hands and she walked with it and then her tiny hand got caught in between the elevator and elevator door. I couldn’t believe her fingers could fit into that tiny gap! The elevator started moving up a bit so I had no time to feel guilty. I had heard a story about a little boy loosing his hand in an elevator last week. The man who told me this said the parents were afraid to hurt their child by pulling his hand out but the child ended up loosing their hand in the end. So I pulled Princess A’s hand twice but I couldn’t get her hand out. She thought all this was hysterical and laughed while I was having a heart attack so to speak.

Freckles came over and licked Princess A’s hand, I counted to three, and pulled her arm as hard as physically possible. I got her hand out and the elevator shut. I was happy until I saw how swollen Princess A’s hand was and she was now crying hysterically. Luckily, the Husband was at the apartment. He calmed everyone down and got Princess A to hold toys in her hurt hand so we knew she hadn’t broken her hand. We decided to go to the doctor anyway.

When we got to the doctor Princess A was already in a better mood. The pediatrician said Princess A was fine and that this happens all the time with kid’s and elevators and if I hadn’t pulled Princess A’s hand out in time I she could have lost her hand.

I was happy that Princess A was alright but the fact that this happens to lots of kids didn’t make me feel better at all. I was right there with Princess A. I am so careful about so many things. I would have never thought it was even possible for her to get her tiny hand stuck and of course that’s what happened to her.

I told other parents about this to warn them and they all said they same thing happened to them with one of their kid’s. Even my pharmacist said it happened to his daughter. I talked to one mom who tried to find a solution so this wouldn’t happen to any more kids. She discovered that the elevators won’t work without this gap and there isn’t the money or desire for this to be changed.

So if you are in an elevator make your kid hold onto your hand even if it is empty because Princess A got her hand stuck so quickly.

Also, are there any crazy things that your kids did that you could have never predicted that you can share with me. I know getting hurt is a part of childhood but I would like to prevent as many cuts, bruises, and swollen fingers as possible.

Tags: , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “HOLD MY HAND”

1. Karen Dent June 27, 2012 at 3:02 PM #

I am glad she is okay, that is scary. David is my child that is turning my hair grey. When David was about Princess A’s age the kids were all out playing (we had a lot of little kids living in our neighbourhood at the time) and the parents were all out chatting. My next door neighbour was chatting with my husband and I was on the neighbour’s lawn chatting to his wife. My husband had to get something out of the van and then pressed the button so the door would close, not realizing that David stuck his fingers in the back of the sliding door. The door closed tight and locked with David’s fingers in it. Thank God my neighbour saw it happen and thought quickly. He grabbed David and stopped him from pulling his hand away after it was stuck and yelled for Matt to open the door. My neighbour’s wife saw what was happening and just said “Karen don’t look!” If my son had pulled his hand away he would have ripped his fingers off, because my neighbour didn’t let him move his hand until we got the door open David was fine. Within a few minutes he was clutching his Thomas Train for all he was worth. His fingers were indented for a while, but he had no side effects.
    Things can happen so fast and no matter how careful we are accidents happen.
    Karen

• Shannon June 27, 2012 at 7:07 PM #

That sounds so scary and similar to what happened to Amelia. Her fingers were indented for a day but she was grabbing her toys pretty soon after. I know stuff will happen no matter how much I try to prevent it even though I wish I could protect her from everything :(

• Shannon June 27, 2012 at 7:07 PM #

2. Missy June 27, 2012 at 3:13 PM #

She may stick stuff up her nose or decide she is old enough to use a real knife when she is 7.Natalie shoved a bead up her nose we went to the dr and they couldn’t find it she pooped it out.Larissa andNatalie both cut themselves.I hate to think what Josh will do.

• Shannon June 27, 2012 at 7:05 PM #

She is already putting stuff up her nose. I have to watch her very carefully :(

3. snarkysarcasticbish June 27, 2012 at 4:22 PM #

OMG sweetie, that is horrifying. I am so sorry that this happened to ya. Poor Princess A. I have NEVER had this happen nor worried about it happening. Dang, am so glad I never had to have this happen to me. At least Princess A is okay. Take care sweeties. Yea always remember to take the lid off the can of veggies all the way. I didn’t and my oldest almost lost a finger cause he decided to play in the trash. Scary as heck. Take care sweetie.

• Shannon June 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM #

Never thought about that. Thanks for the tip!

4. Melissa June 27, 2012 at 6:34 PM #

I’ve always been the one that did crazy things. Nick wasn’t so bad until he was in elementary school. His first day of Kindergarten, a child accidentally hit him in the mouth with their backpack and knocked one of his teeth out. That was scary, but when he and my nephew decided to play “Ernest Goes To Camp” and my poor kid got ran over with a go-cart. That scared the hell out of me. Luckily he was fine, except some stitches and a healthy fear of motorized vehicles, but I was stunned. Kids will do the craziest things!

Just yesterday, on my way home, I saw a woman driving up her long winding driveway with her small child sitting on the rolled down window with his feet inside the car and the rest outside. I almost turned into there and chased them and lectured them. My heart stopped for a moment and I still fear I will be reading about that child in the weekly newspaper soon.

• Shannon June 27, 2012 at 7:02 PM #

That’s so scary about the kid in the car!!! I can’t believe your kid got run over by a go cart :( I am glad it turned out ok.

• Melissa June 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM #

We laugh about it now 10+ years later, but it was pretty scary.

That parent that allowed their kid to ride like that will be getting a visit from CPS though. I did call it in. Even though they were on private property, it was in full view of the public road.

5. Mandy June 27, 2012 at 6:45 PM #

Holy freaking crap! Just reading this made my stomach jump into my throat. I cannot even imagine how long this must have seemed… I bet time just stopped for you. Thank God she’s alright. Elevators are very scary things.

I feel like everything in the world has some way of causing some damage. Luckily my kids have only experienced falls and shutting cabinets or drawers on themselves. I once was using a hand mixer while making pudding. The spatula got caught between the 2 mixer things and I didn’t let go in time and it pulled my thumb through…. it was pretty gnarly. I think this should have been my lesson to never cook again :)

• Shannon June 27, 2012 at 6:59 PM #

That sounds so scary. Yes it was horrible especially because she wasn’t in pain until I had to pull her hand out. I felt so guilty. Fortunately she is feeling much better now.

6. Lara June 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM #

OMG! That is so scary!! I didn’t know anything about a gap!