BABY MYSELF

Yesterday, Princess A and I were on a walk and we were waiting on the sidewalk for the light to change. All the sudden a cab sped through a red light and got hit by another car. Glass and pieces went flying everywhere. I tried to run away but didn’t have much time. Luckily, nothing hit Princess A and I. When the paramedics came they took the people that were in the cab that ran the light to the hospital in an ambulance. After that they checked Princess A out just to be safe. Princess A had a lot of fun in the ambulance and wasn’t phased a bit by it. It was actually kind a cute. Turns out Princess A was fine and we went home.

I am glad we are ok but the experience freaked me out. Cabs run red lights in NYC all the time so you can be following all the rules and still get hit. Sometimes the passengers encourage the cabs to run the light because they are in a rush and sometimes it’s the driver. Whatever the reason it just shows that sometimes rushing and trying to get everything done fast can be dangerous.

Or maybe I am just over analyzing the situation because lately I have been rushing to get everything done and not taking care of myself. I haven’t been sleeping enough and I haven’t been doing enough yoga. So starting today I am going to take care of myself again. I have talked before about how I would never care for my daughter as badly as I care for myself. I work so hard to make sure she sleeps, eats, and exercises enough. Why is it still such a challenge to give myself the same kind of mothering?

Any advice on time management? Because I feel like if I don’t start babying myself as well as my baby I will get into an emotional and physical wreck so to speak.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “BABY MYSELF”

1. Jennifer Whyne June 21, 2012 at 5:31 PM #

It took me a year and a half after my daughter was born to realize that. You’re not good to anyone if you’re “broken” yourself! I take my time in the shower. I used to rush because I always thought someone was crying and i just couldn’t hear because of the water. Now I use a loofah, take time to use special girly stuff for my face, and use a pumice stone on my feet. A few extra minutes on me and no one had died yet. 🙂

• Shannon June 21, 2012 at 7:11 PM #

LOL… I think the same thing when I am in the shower. Even if my husband is home!!!!!

• Jennifer Whyne June 22, 2012 at 5:31 PM #

My husband is gone for 48 hrs and home for 48 hrs…I always thought there was someone cryng! 🙂

• Shannon June 22, 2012 at 7:26 PM #

And sometimes I thought I was going crazy because I would hear crying in the shower then check on Amelia and she would be fast asleep lol.

2. Nadine June 21, 2012 at 5:41 PM #

I think it’s normal for a mother that the children come first. I only have time for myself when my son is with his grandparents. Otherwise, I don’t care about my needs, but primarily about my son. You can’t change it. I guess that’s what’s called maternal instinct.

• Shannon June 21, 2012 at 7:10 PM #

Good point. I guess that is what grandparents are for. We have a babysitter once a week and it’s hard for me to focus on myself then. But when Amelia goes to her grandparent’s house I am really able to pamper myself and relax because I am 100% positive she is in good hands!

3. Karen Dent June 21, 2012 at 10:27 PM #

I am still bad for not taking care of myself as well as I do my kids and my kids are now 8 and 10 yrs old. I do try to take the time to go by myself and take a relaxing bath a couple of times a week. When I do this I lock the door and my husband is in charge. The kids know not to knock on the door unless the house is on fire or someone is bleeding bad enough to need the hospital LOL! Sadly I still cannot turn of the “mommy brain” and if I hear the kids arguing or anything I have to force myself not to intervene and let the husband handle it.
    I think I have gotten used to being “mommy” all the time. I stay home with my kids, my closest family is 2 hours away, so it is not an option to use them, and I spend 5 nights a week at the dance studio with the kids. My only break is the rare times we get a babysitter. One thing I have found helps is I am good friends with another stay at home mom who has 4 kids. We try to make plans once a month to go for dinner, or coffee, or the movies with NO kids. It is nice to get out and talk to another adult once in a while!
    I need to do figure out a way to get more “me” time.

• Shannon June 21, 2012 at 11:12 PM #

It’s tough for me and I have family nearby so i can’t imagine what it would be like for you. I have a 2 girlfriends who get a trip together with no kids or husbands every year for Christmas. They have their husbands take care of the kids for the weekend. They LOVE it. Sometimes they just go to a random city an hour away and stay at a motel. Maybe that would be a good idea for a gift?

• Karen Dent June 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM #

That get away sounds like a great idea! That would be an awesome gift. For my birthday a few years ago Matt arranged for a friend I hadn’t seen in awhile and myself to go to a spa for a day. It was wonderful. My friend and I got to spend the day being pampered and then we went out to dinner. It was nice because we live 3 hours apart. Actually for a year she lived in California, and we didn’t see each other at all. She is a busy mom of 3 daughters and I have my two, it makes it hard to see each other.
        My “gifts” for the next year are all going towards a Disney trip. My kids are going to dance in Disney in July 2013!

• Shannon June 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM #

WOW… that will be so fun going to Disney. You should ask your husband for another day or weekend with your friend. My friends usually do really cheap vacations the only rule is No Kids lol