RAIN ON MY PARADE

My post from yesterday about being pregnant with a cupcake caused quite the stir. I said how I feel but sometimes thoughts are better expressed through song and sometimes I wish I lived in the TV show Glee and could sing my thoughts in an assignment for Mr. Schue. But since I can’t I will have to let Barbra do it for me.

This is a video of her singing “Don’t Rain on My Parade” from 1975. The video isn’t the best quality but it is my favorite version of her singing it because she looks so happy.

I love this song because it is about being yourself, having fun, and ignoring negativity from other people. But for me it’s about my negative thoughts as well. I am my own worst critic and sometimes I am the one who brings on the clouds that rain on my own parade. This month I am going to the beach for my anniversary. We are bringing Princess A and it will be her first time seeing the ocean and playing in sand. I am insecure about wearing even a one-piece swimsuit because I have stretch marks and I am not as toned as I used to be. But I am not going to let my own bad thoughts about my own appearance create storm clouds and rain on my parade. Instead, I will shut off my critical mind and have fun building sand castles with my family.

That’s all my post from yesterday was really about. No matter what myself, my family, or my readers look like I want them to be confident and have fun at their parade. Yes, no one is perfect and sometimes people do need to make changes for the better but we should still be in the moment experiencing all the fun life has to offer and not allow our own insecurities or other peoples negative words to rain on our parades.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “RAIN ON MY PARADE”

1. Amélie June 2, 2012 at 11:41 AM #

Have fun on the beach!! First times are always wonderful, I hope Princess A will love to see ocean!! 😉
    Yes, nobody is perfect and it’s a good thing because if everyone was, it will be extremely boring. We’re all different, with our defects and our qualities.
    Your last sentence is so true, and it’s make sense for me.

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 12:04 PM #

Thanks Amelie. I will be sure to take lots of pictures

• Amélie June 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM #

I’m sure of that!! Have great time!! 🙂

2. Sally June 2, 2012 at 11:42 AM #

For years I tried to be what others wanted me to be. I was miserable & went to a dark place in my life. It wasn’t until I finally made the decision to do things that made me happy. I know I’m a good person with a kind heart, sometimes too kind. I would allow people in my life to take advantage of me rather than say no. I usually found myself hurt, disappointed, & feeling worthless. I eventually took back my life and learned how to be assertive without being a total bitch. I gained my self respect, self worth, & confidence back all with a sense of humor. I am stronger now. You seem like a wonderful person Shannon, as long as you know that & believe in that, the rest is a cake walk. You rock!

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM #

Thanks Sally!!!! I am glad you got out of your dark place and found how to be assertive without being bitchy… that’s an awesome skill!

3. Karen Dent June 2, 2012 at 12:05 PM #

Having confidence is something I have struggled with my whole life. I have finally realized that no matter what you do some people will choose to be negative. This is usually because there is something in their own life that is making them unhappy. I could lose 50 lbs and still people would find something I am doing “wrong”. I have finally decided I need to live for me and my family. As long as we are happy with our lives, then the rest is just noise.
    I will never understand why some people feel they have the right to be so judgemental. If they are happy with their own lives, why are they so worried about what someone else is doing with theirs. I am willing to bet that most of these people would NEVER be brave enough to spew their crap in person, but the “internet” is safe, and you don’t have to be truly accountable for what you write.
    When I write anything anywhere on the internet I look at it from the perspective of would I care if my children, or Mom read this. If I have any doubt that I would want them to read it, then it doesn’t get posted. There are better ways to get your opinion across then by being rude and hostile.
    Personally I am soooo over all the drama!
    Karen

4. Shannon June 2, 2012 at 12:46 PM #

I agree Karen. I am over it too. The only reason I respond to some if it is because there are certain things I feel strongly about and I always assume that one day my daughter will read my blog and I don’t want her to see dumb comments without me addressing them.

• Karen Dent June 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM #

You were right in defending yourself! It is a very important lesson for our kids to learn. Don’t let people walk all over you and take advantage of you. Bullies, sadly they are everywhere.
      Karen

5. Brianna June 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM #

Thank you for this post today. I loved yesterday’s post about it and teaching your daughter not to care is a valuable lesson. I learned it the hard way when my family moved during my high school time and everyone wasn’t very nice because of it. High school stinks for everyone and sometimes the people in high school that treat others badly do that after. I hope you and your family have a fun trip to the beach. Thank you again for the song, it’s one of my favorites.

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 5:41 PM #

I love the song too!!!!! I like the glee version as well but I wanted o show the original version!

6. Mary Cate June 2, 2012 at 5:49 PM #

Shannon, we’re all our own worst critics. And in some ways, it’s a good thing. It keeps us humble. Yes, it can go too far, but so can “self love”. I’d rather see my imperfections and accept and admit they exist, then think I’m perfect in every way and come off sounding egotistical and better than every one else. I caught the message you were trying to convey yesterday and I have to say once again, thanks for posting it.

I hope you have a fantastic time at the beach. You have nothing to worry about with the bathing suit issue. I’m sure there will be someone who will be wearing a thong that we all know shouldn’t be. Either that or a teeny tiny speedo. 🙂 Just enjoy your time together and watching Princess A discover the beach. No matter what, it will be awesome.

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 6:39 PM #

Thanks Mary!!!! I am so excited for the beach. I hope there is someone in a thong or speedo… they always make me smile because you gotta admit it takes a lot of balls or ovaries to wear something like that!

7. Melissa June 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM #

I’m actually glad you addressed this yesterday. Women tend to be so harsh on each other. Your size and shape does not mean that you are ugly or boring. It means you are different and that is a good thing. Health issues and even treatments for health issues can cause extreme weight issues. The person I look to for advice is my physician. She is great and we discuss my diet issues and the other factors in my health. We have a treatment plan for my diabetes and other issues. I also tend to eat very healthy, but it doesn’t change the fact that my body doesn’t work the same way as other people’s. When you look at someone and judge them because they have more cushion than you do or they are super thin, it’s not always within their power to change that.

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM #

It’s great you have a good doctor. When I was pregnant I gained more than the 25-45 you always hear people say is the healthy range. I talked to my doctor and he told me I was really healthy and should focus on eating healthy and being active and not to focus on a number on the scale. Of course I still got upset because I gained more than 45 pounds. One day he got annoyed with me and he yelled at me and said “stop asking me if your weight gain is ok. I will tell you when your weight gain is unhealthy. Just focus on eating healthy foods.” And after that appointment I did just that.

8. Dijana June 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM #

I love, love, love this song! And your attitude 🙂 I’m going to nitpick about the paragraph containing the word ‘stretch-marks’. Well, the 2 cent wisdom says: Every tigress needs to earn her stripes, so yep, nothing bad about that!
    I don’t know if you have any idea how positive impact you have on people’s lives. I can speak for myself. Although sometimes your posts make me little sad, 90% of the time I’m grinning at the screen like a kid with a lollipop. Just letting you know this because I have a ‘philosophy’ that if you manage to make at least 1 stranger smile during the day, you’ll get a star in the sky.
    Please, please, please, never stop being you, and of course, keep rocking!

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 6:34 PM #

Thanks Dijana. I love what you say about stripes and I try to remember that but my insecurities pop up sometimes no matter how hard I try to ignore them. Maybe if I keep reminding myself they are stripes I will stop thinking of them as stretch marks lol. And it’s good to know I have a star. You have a star as well 🙂

9. Mandy June 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM #

I missed all the drama and had quite a read this morning! Darn kids needing my attention.

I think the important thing is that no matter where you fall in life you should still stand up for yourself. So Kudos.

I live in a country where the x-large size clothing is for women wearing an 8-10. I always hear people say when they see certain celebrities “oh my, they are so little in person”… well this is my everyday life, pretty sure the average size of the entire country is a 2. When I was pregnant I had to see a doctor on the local economy. She told me to only eat mushroom soup so that I wouldn’t gain any weight while pregnant. She told another lady to stop eating because she had gained more than the recommended amount and her baby was measuring too big. All this doctor did was harp on weight. People gain weight in different areas. Some people look like a board, others look like an hour glass, some are pear shaped, some are apple shape.

We shouldn’t throw stones because who knows where we’ll end up one day.

Be who you are. I never understood why someone would devote so much time and attention to trying to bring someone else down or just hating in general. Be happy!

Oh and remember the baby powder to get the sand off princess A at the beach.

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 8:03 PM #

Thanks Mandy… and what do I need baby powder for. I have some but have never heard that it can be used to get sand off. Do share your secrets lol

• Mandy June 3, 2012 at 1:04 AM #

When you’re ready to leave the beach, or A’s just had enough of the sand, dry off, sprinkle some baby powder in your hand and then rub it on your skin… the sand falls off so easily.

• Shannon June 3, 2012 at 1:23 AM #

Thanks for the tip! I hate having sand on me!

10. sweeneyanne June 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM #

This post (Don’t Rain on my Parade) was beautiful and so inspiring. Thank you. I needed to see it yesterday (as I was getting ready for wedding and not feeling 100% happy about how my dress fit and was frustrated as I tried to pin my hair). I took a break and checked your blog, saw this and took your words to heart. I “wore” my joy for the happy couple. After all my angst over the dress and my hair – I received so many compliments and was told I looked hot. So there you go, Shannon. I stayed glam for you. You are so right. Perfection is a state we can never achieve. We need to learn to love and celebrate all the good and banish the negative thinking. Go to beach, build the sandcastles with your hubby and beautiful Princess A. You will be fabulous because you are you. Lots of love to you and thanks. You turned my day around.

• Shannon June 3, 2012 at 7:18 PM #

Thank you! Knowing I turned your day around turns my day around!And I bet you looked so glam!!!!!