YES, I AM PREGNANT!

bloated cold prickly

Sad Face

A couple of days ago I posted a picture of myself in my fab new Betsey Johnson dress and some people asked if I was pregnant and I would like to say that yes I am pregnant. I am pregnant with a cupcake.

The day that picture was taken I was really tired, on my period, bloated, and I have gained a little extra weight recently. I felt really fat and blah like in my drawing above. So I put a huge black dress on instead of the cute Betsey Johnson dress I bought and had planned to wear that day. My husband told me I looked horrible in the black dress and that I should wear something else. I didn’t have many options so I wore the tight Betsey Johnson dress anyway. Once I put it on I felt really good because Betsey Johnson clothes always makes me feel fabulous.

When I looked at the pictures that were taken I photo-shopped them to make myself look thinner and have a flatter belly because I do look pregnant in the pictures. But before I posted the pictures I changed my mind.

Why did I change my mind when I have the tools to make myself have a flat belly? Because I want to set a good example for my daughter.

See I am human and my weight fluctuates. When I gain extra weight it goes right to my belly. I also have bad posture. I try to stand correctly but when I am tired (say from flying cross country with a crying baby) I forget and slouch. I enjoy working out and eating healthy but sometimes I don’t have the time to because I have a life and people thought I was pregnant when I was on my period even when I was a bulemic size 0. So really all the hot yoga in the world can’t stop people from making comments. Also, I don’t know why I am even trying to justify this because because you know whose weight doesn’t fluctuate? Dead People.

I don’t want my daughter to ever feel ashamed of or that she needs to hide her body because it’s not perfect. The only way I know how to do that is by example. So if I feel like wearing a Betsey Johnson dress I will wear one even if I am not looking my best because you know what? Wearing fun clothes makes me feel glam and it doesn’t matter how you look on the outside it matters how you feel about yourself.

Besides this is a blog about a real mom, with a real daughter, a real husband, and a real dog. If you want to look at perfect photo-shopped bodies there are tons of other magazines and blogs you can read. So please read them because he would be upset if I shared this but Freckles has gained some weight now that Princess A has learned how to sneak him food. So if he looks like he is bigger in some of the pictures on my blog don’t worry he isn’t pregnant.

And really who cares? There are so many other things that are way more important than the fat on my stomach. Like world peace, AIDS, and the fact that Pluto isn’t considered a planet anymore. I want to raise my daughter to focus on those things because I don’t care what anyone says PLUTO IS A PLANET.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

79 Responses to “YES, I AM PREGNANT!”

1. Melissa June 1, 2012 at 9:56 AM #

I saw that comment the other day and honestly didn’t know what to say. I have always hated that question. Even when I was very small, worked out every day and ate right I still had a belly. It’s the way I was made. Now that I’m very overweight (due to my doughnut addiction and a medical condition) I still carry quite a lot of weight in my belly. I try to remember that we’re all made a certain way, if we all looked like a photoshopped model, it would be a sad world indeed. I say wear what makes YOU feel good regardless of a bloated belly or whatever feels a bit wrong that day. Human nature tends to make us see our imperfections first and we should all practice looking in the mirror and tell ourselves the GOOD things instead of focusing on the bad. You’re a great Mom, a great wife and a great friend. Those things make you a beautiful person.

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM #

Thanks Melissa!!!! I have a doughnut addiction too lol. I wish I took a picture of what I was wearing before I changed lol! I also hate the “are you pregnant” question because when I was I lost weight from nauseau and no one ever gave me a seat on the bus or subway. I went into labor after I had to stand for the whole time on an hour subway ride. Now people always offer me a seat when I am on my period because they think i am preggers lol

2. Justine June 1, 2012 at 9:57 AM #

I’ve been reading your blog for a while, but I’ve never commented before. Not that I didn’t want to, I just usually have time to read and then run to whatever I’m doing next (my job keeps me busy!) But I had to comment on this post. Good for you! I think you’re setting a wonderful example to your daughter and to your readers. This is what beauty and being fabulous is all about- how people feel about themselves. Thank you for being honest and true to yourself, and for having a great attitude!

– Justine

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM #

Thanks Justine 🙂 No worries if you have no time to comment. I am just glad you are reading and that I have your support!

3. Amélie June 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM #

You’re right, if you like wear this dress, wear it without worrying about what others may say. This is a very good thing to feel good with your body.
    And for me you look so glam with this dress!! 🙂

4. angiedjw June 1, 2012 at 10:06 AM #

It IS a planet. Poor Pluto. We need to start a committee to get his title back. The nerve of those scientist. Ps Rock that Betsy Shannon!

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM #

I KNOW I love pluto because of that cartoon dog named Pluto. As a kid I imagined a planet full of cute dogs. Those scientists are wrong!

5. Lisanne June 1, 2012 at 10:08 AM #

To those people I say : It’s not fat, it’s because womens with a little belly/little fat are too intelligent! The brain is so “full” of that intelligence that it had to go somewhere else therefore, the belly/hips and all the entire region! Like we would say here in Quebec : Vlan! Dans les dents! (Bang! In the teeth!) And for the little cucpcake youre pregnant with… what “flavor” is it ? Vanilla ? Chocolate ? Red velvet ? Or my favorite caramel ? LOL! 😉

6. Karen Dent June 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM #

This is the reason I love your blog! You are comfortable being YOU!
    I have learned to NEVER ask a woman if she is pregnant. I am still carrying “baby” weight (can I call it that even if my babies are 8 and 10 years old?) I have struggled with my weight since I had Katie. I have also been battling infertility for 7 years. There is nothing worse than being asked “are you pregnant?” When you have just suffered from your 4th miscarriage with a baby you have been trying to have for the past 5 years.
    If someone is pregnant and they want you to know, they will tell you, otherwise it falls under MYOB!
    You always look amazingly glamorous! Right now I am in jogging pants and an old t-shirt. I look like crap, but I am comfortable. I have to keep taking this puppy out in the rain, so I am going for comfort right now!
    Karen

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 11:21 AM #

I feel for you! It’s so hard when puppies are still learning to go out. And yes it is still baby weight because you got it from your babies. And you mention another reason why you should never ask if people are pregnant because you don’t know what is going on in their life. They could of had a miscarriage recently, are trying hard to get pregnant, or they are bloated from all the IVF hormones. I have friends who have struggled with infertility and have to takes so many meds which cause them to gain weight and it hurts them so much when people ask if they are pregnant. Or they could be going through a rough patch in their life and are coping with extra dessert. Who knows! So be quiet because when a woman is pregnant and ready to talk she will TALK!

7. Céline June 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM #

I totally agree with you. there Does not be ashamed of what we are nor what we wear.
    But it is true that sport is good for morale, the physical and the organism.
    if one has no desire to practice it,that one do not practice

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM #

I love sports just I grow through times where there simply is not enough time in the day. Especially now because I put my daughter first. Also, even when I was working out 5-6 times a day people thought I was pregnant once a month because thats just how my body is when I get my period lol.

• Céline June 1, 2012 at 11:36 AM #

It is true that, the arrival of a child and to work a lot plays on playing sport

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 11:39 AM #

yep, and my dog takes time away from sport as well 🙂

8. Uli June 1, 2012 at 11:36 AM #

Oh dear. Please don’t let these silly comments upset you!! Esp. when they come from a very proud member of the “I hate everything about you” party (and her friends).
    I love your blog because your not afraid to say that yes, not everything in life is perfect, but SO WHAT :-). Perfection is boring!

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 11:38 AM #

Yes, perfection is very boring!

9. Camilla (@Gamolie) June 1, 2012 at 12:01 PM #

I always think you look great. I look at your blog every day and think “My youngest is four and I still don’t look that good.”

Never, ever, ever ask a woman if she’s pregnant unless she’s crowning. I’ve had the question a few times and once when someone asked if I was “expecting,” without thinking I blurted out “Yeah, I’m expecting an apology for that question.”

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM #

ohhhhhhh I love that response. I will steal it.
      Thanks for the compliment. I have had a long journey with eating and weight. Now I love myself and am confident most of the time but like everyone I have my days where I don’t feel glam but I think it’s important to not hide just because you don’t look a certain way. You should go out and fake it until you make it as they say. And I really want my daughter to learn to do that because it took me a long time and lots of sadness to come to that conclusion.

10. Missy June 1, 2012 at 12:02 PM #

Thank you for this blog post.I think you are beautiful the way you are.i struggle a lot with body issues because my mother has been so mean about it.When I cut my hair recently I asked my mom what she thought her response well you would look cuter with it if you were two hundred pounds lighter.I am very insecure about my body and admit that I don’t work as hard on it as I should.But I think it’s also important to celebrate that we gave these kids life and we don’t have to be like those people that get their body back immediately.We are human and we are moms.i say we toast to that

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM #

yes toast to that!!!! It is important to be healthy but from my experience it’s really hard to eat and work out in a healthy way unless you love yourself no matter what the scale says.

• donna June 1, 2012 at 2:32 PM #

You want to be a good roll model for your daughter then wouldn’t you want to be healthy. No one said you were fat or have to be perfect but at the same time you HAVE a daughter who looks up to you. What kind of example are you when you’re shoving shit food down your face. I am a mom and I am a healthy weight. Why bec I eat healthy, no I don’t excersise AT ALL. Because I hate to. But I have to set an example. If I’m at an unhealthy weight my kids will think that’s OK. It’s not! I get irritated when I hear overweight people say, I’m confortable being fat, it’s hard to loose. NO that’s called LAZY! Shannon I know you are not confortable with your weight. Well maybe you are? Who knows. But realize it’s UNHEALTHY. You can get so many diesases. So instead of tying to get sympathy AGAIN.. Why don’t you try and do something about it. Don’t do it for the haters or anyone else. Do it for your daughter other wise she will follow in your footsteps. The comment you said “perfect is boring”. Well so are fat ugly people. You don’t need to down other people for being better looking than you to make yourself feel better. And no you don’t have to be a zixe ZERO. That’s gross to!

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM #

Donna, while I appreciate your opinion but since I have suffered from an eating disorder in the past I get to go to a doctor who checks my Body Mass Index, cholesterol levels, thyroid and a bunch of other fun stuff. She says my weight is healthy. And since she went to medical school and sees my blood work I will listen to her.

The only thing she has a problem with is my posture because she said it could cause back problems later in life. I eat a good diet most of the time but I also like to enjoy sweets ect and those can be part of a healthy diet if they are eaten in moderation. But if I go through a time in my life where I gain some extra weight I am not going to feel ashamed about it and stop wearing what I want to wear. I will just keep active eat healthy and let my body get back to it’s healthy size. and I say it’s healthy size because every body has it’s own healthy size.

You can’t tell how healthy a person is by looking at them because people come in all shapes and sizes. I only responded to your comment because I have said before that I am a size 10 or 12 and I don’t want anyone to think that is fat.

Perfect is boring because it doesn’t exist. Even stick thin people have flaws.

But Donna you are correct in saying I shove shit down my face. Because I do I eat actual human shit every day. But don’t worry the shit I eat is organic, fat free, high in fiber, and imported from a small village in Africa filled with starving children where the proceeds help them buy food. But don’t worry I am not trying to get sympathy for those kids. They don’t need it because they must be perfectly healthy and disease free because they are thin.

• Donna June 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM #

I never said skinny is healthy either do don’t assume. There are better says to support an organization than buy eating junk food. Just because it’s organic or fat free ( which is not good for you by the way,fat free) does not mean you over eat it. But what ever . You do as you wish because it’s your life and body. If you need to feel bad about our self like you always do and get pitty comments to make you feel better, that’s your
            Life . But you tend to offend the opposite of what your issues are and it’s getting
            Old. Oh those girls are ugly because their skinny, they dress boring bec they don’t dress like me and fashionable. I’m better than
            Every one attitude..

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 6:43 PM #

Donna, i was making a joke about eating shit and I wasn’t talking about eating junk food I was talking about eating actual shit because I am a stand-up comic and I make jokes. And my blog isn’t about saying everyone who is the opposite of me is ugly or unfashionable it is that everyone should be unafraid to dress the way that they want to. And if my blog is getting so old you know you can always stop reading it.

• emma June 1, 2012 at 6:12 PM #

“Perfect is boring because it doesn’t exist”? Sorry, but that doesn’t really make sense.
            I don’t know what you eat, and I don’t care either, to be honest. I’m sure you know what is and isn’t good for you, and as adult, you are capable of making decisions for yourself, so I don’t think you need anyone else’s input on that one. No one is saying you’re unhealthy.

But there was really no need for the sarcastic comment about the starving children in Africa. That’s what bothered me the most spout your response to the previous poster. All you’re doing is making yourself look ignorant, and offending those poor kids at the same time, in an attempt to hit out at someone else. No one said being stick thin was particularly healthy either, so those comments are unnecessary.
            Obviously children STARVING in Africa are not healthy. It doesn’t have to be one extreme or another, there is a middle ground, y’know..

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 6:57 PM #

Perfection is a fantasy and fantasies are boring compared to real life because they aren’t real. It makes sense to me. Try having a conversation with a mannequin it’s not very interesting. I agree with you that there is a middle ground which is why I decided to write about this topic. Everyone is different and should love themselves no matter what they look like. I happen to be a size 10 or 12, get really bloated on my period, and when I gain weight it goes straight to my stomach. I do look pregnant sometimes but I love myself anyway. And again the sarcastic comment was a joke because I don’t actually eat human shit.

• Jess June 2, 2012 at 7:27 PM #

Seriously people, it’s sarcasm. Don’t like it, leave. Also, I myself has never given Shannon “pity” comments or said stuff to purposely make her feel better. I’m a loyal reader and RELATE to the things she posts. I genuinely like her as a person and think she rocks. She’s funny, has a good out look on life, and IS a good role model, not just for her daughter, but others.
            Don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it all. Is a good rule of thumb here.

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 7:58 PM #

Just like Thumper’s dad in Bambi said 🙂

11. Vicki June 1, 2012 at 3:39 PM #

Oh my goodness – I got asked if I was pregnant while I was on my honeymoon… on a “booze cruise” taking us to the snorkeling area… I was very obviously on my 3rd or 4th drink… gee, thanks for not only thinking I’m fat, but thinking I’m drinking, let alone that much, while pregnant!! Some people… That was in May 2007 & I just had my first child a few weeks ago, lol – definitely not pregnant and wasn’t even overweight for my height – just had a bit of a belly…

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 5:15 PM #

I can’t believe they asked you when you were drinking! Anyway you were on your honeymoon… most people over indulge in more ways than one on their honeymoon 🙂

12. Christy June 1, 2012 at 7:15 PM #

You know last I checked, this would be Shannon’s blog. You know the place where she can post whatever she feels like.

Shannon, I applaud you for posting this, even though ultimately you had no reason to explain yourself. One comment about how you looked in a dress can be devastating or uplifting. Never allow a “troll” on the internet to make you feel the need to justify why you want to wear what you feel like. You said it yourself, your doctor says you are healthy – so the heck with the naysayers or those who have nothing nice to contribute. Keep up with your glamorous self!!

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM #

Thanks Christy! I know I didn’t HAVE to comment but it is something I feel strongly about and I like talking about it because I know so many people who think they are fat when they are not and end up doing crazy things to their body to loose weight.

• Camilla (@Gamolie) June 2, 2012 at 1:31 AM #

You truly have promoted acceptance of ourselves by being yourself, if that makes sense. You make it very clear that we all come in different shapes and sizes but that what matters most is how we feel and what we like for ourselves, not for anyone else.

As for certain others claiming that “being overweight is unhealthy” as a blanket statement, it’s just not true. Being at your body’s natural weight while eating healthy (with some indulgences) is healthy. Someone can be “overweight” and still be perfectly healthy, because it’s simply how their body is. The same goes for “underweight.” I will never be in the “accepted” weight range for my height, nor does any doctor want to me to be. I would have to hurt myself with starvation or obsessive exercise to get there. My healthy weight is charted as “overweight.” It’s not where I am now, I totally understand that and will never claim I’m at a healthy weight. But when I do get to that goal, I’m sure people like Donna will still stick to the scale and claim I’m unhealthy. So be it.

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM #

Yeah and you should just ignore them. I am at a completely healthy weight medically speaking if you look at the BMI charts but I still get told I am too fat on a regular basis so I just try to ignore them.

• emma June 1, 2012 at 8:48 PM #

So.. people aren’t entitled to their own opinion if they are not kissing the arse of the blog owner? My views are just as valid, and a.person stating their opinion does not make them a ‘troll’ either. When you have a public blog, you should expect that not every comment is going to be what you want to hear.

And Shannon; I gathered that you don’t eat human shit. I still think the remarks made about African children was unnecessary, joke or not. THAT was what bothered me. I don’t pay attention to what you look like in your pictures, because I agree that no one is perfect, and I don’t focus on people’s apparent flaws.

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 9:31 PM #

Emma, you are entitled to your own opinion. Since this is your first time commenting I had to approve your comment before it appeared on my blog. I don’t agree with you but I approved your comment anyway because you are right everyone gets their own opinion. And if you think my comments about African children were unnecessary that’s fine.

But you did say no one is saying I am unhealthy which isn’t true. The commenter that I was responding to said I was unhealthy and saying someone is unhealthy just by looking at them or because of their clothing size is dangerous considering how many people suffer from eating disorders. I have a lot of young readers and I don’t want them to think that if they are a size 10 they are automatically unhealthy or fat.

• Donna June 1, 2012 at 9:58 PM #

Shannon. I never said YOU were unhealthy.. I said over weight people are unhealthy and proned to more complications with their health.. Every one knows that.. And yes BEING OVER WEIGHT IS UNHEALTHY!! Just like being bulemic and skinny is unhealthy.

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 10:45 PM #

“Shannon I know you are not confortable with your weight. Well maybe you are? Who knows. But realize it’s UNHEALTHY.” it sounds to me that you said I was unhealthy but maybe I took it the wrong way.
            But it’s besides the point because my original post wasn’t about being overweight or thin it’s about being confident even when you don’t feel or look your best. People of all sizes are insecure. Even if you need to loose weight for medical or health reasons there is no reason to not love yourself and be insecure. You can be confident while recognizing you are not perfect and need to change with out getting down on yourself.
            Here’s another example of what my post was about. This week we are going to the beach and 10 years ago when I was a size 2 and much thinner I would have sat on the beach in sweats because I was embarrassed by my body and I would of not enjoyed myself. But I have really worked on my self and even though I am a size 0 and bigger than I was before I am going to wear my swimsuit and enjoy myself even though I don’t have the perfect bikini body. This will be my daughter’s first beach experience so i don’t want to ruin it by being insecure about my looks.

• Jess June 2, 2012 at 7:37 PM #

I’m overweight but I just went to the doctor 2 days ago. There is not one unhealthy thing about me. I even have LOW cholesterol and I want to lose 100 pounds. Which I can do and still be at a healthy weight. Weight is JUST a number, it doesn’t actually tell you how unhealthy or healthy you are. It’s simply how much every single part of you weights. I may not actually be able to lose all 100 pounds either, I have a lot of muscle, which weighs more than fat. I eat healthy, I’m active, I am not lazy. I’m a single mom. So as Shannon said, you can’t look at someone and instantly make a judgement about how healthy or unhealthy they are.

Oh and the reason I’m over weight, is because for a year my gall bladder wasn’t working correctly, NOT because I over ate or ate the wrong things. I was sick.

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM #

Well said! I am actually healthier now than when I was thinner. I used to be afraid to eat avacados because they had fat in them. I am glad though you found out about your gall bladder and are getting better 🙂

13. snarkysarcasticbish June 1, 2012 at 8:38 PM #

Oh dear goodness in heaven, Seriously???? I never ask if anyone is pregnant cause I don’t want to offend anyone. And even if you eat junk food all the time, it’s your decision to make. No one else’s and people need to just grow up and deal with life. Geeze so you were slouched and a bit bloated, it happens. It’s called life and we all have to deal with it. If you wanna bitch, whine, moan and groan and accuse people of being fat, please look in a mirror and judge yourself first. Shannon is who she is for a reason. If you don’t like what she writes, don’t read. So what if she eats a cupcake, i’m sure that the world is not going to end. God help us if it ends just cause of someone eating a cupcake. Glad you decided to name the cupcake Jacksonia. I love that name bwhahahhahaha.

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 9:16 PM #

Thanks Katie. I actually think Jacksonia would make a great name for a country lol

• snarkysarcasticbish June 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM #

It would indeed, but I still like the name for a cupcake. So tell me the flavors of cake and the frosting. I need a good cupcake now. I so need a cupcake. LOL

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM #

Obviously red velvet as one of my glam twitter followers said since aaron and i are redheads if it was any other flavor i would have some explaining to do lol

• snarkysarcasticbish June 1, 2012 at 10:53 PM #

Bwhahahahahhaha yea that would be difficult, but it has been known to happen. I wonder if I could get my daughter to bake………

14. Megan June 1, 2012 at 9:31 PM #

I would love to say that I am amazed by some of the things that people say. BUT, I can’t.

As a person of short stature but not necessary little size, I have heard all sorts of comments/questions in all sorts of languages. (Just today, I had a gentleman staring and smiling while making comments in Spanish.)

Some days I think that there are some people who need a pat on the back….of the head. Other days I can laugh it off and laugh at myself. I will try to send you come pics that you can use.

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 10:47 PM #

I would love to send pics. I would try to laugh it off even though it is hard to do all the time. They don’t deserve your energy!

15. Lisa June 1, 2012 at 9:36 PM #

One guess who these people where Shannon, i saw a few nasty comments, but i thought you looked beautiful. And this post made me get a bit upset and mad because like i have said in recent comments….No One Is PERFECT!!! I’m like you in some ways, i get a pre baby belly that time of the month and have been asked if i’m having baby number two, but i just laugh and make a joke of it. Gez some comments also on here were a bit far fetched… I hate people who think that there shit don’t stink, and i have no time for people who judge other people. Just keep being YOU Shannon and enjoy wearing Betsey Johnson clothing no matter what day of the month it is….and keep smiling xxxxx

• Shannon June 1, 2012 at 10:45 PM #

Thanks i will be wearing my betsey johnson bikini this week at the beach. I am loving her bankruptcy sales!

• Lisa June 2, 2012 at 1:07 AM #

Oh i want to go to the beach!!!! It’s winter in Australia and I hate it. I was born in summer and I think that is why i love that season and the beach so much!!! Does Betsey Johnson have a website? Or is it to late to go online shopping cause she’s closing down? I do like the look of her clothes.

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 9:30 AM #

She has a website betseyjohnson.com but I don’t know if they ship to Australia. I got my betsey johnson swimsuit fromeverythingbutwater.com

16. Mary Cate Longo June 2, 2012 at 2:00 AM #

Shannon, thank you for posting this blog. I totally agree with you. One of the reasons I admire you so much is your outlook on life. I look forward to reading your blog posts every day because they always make me smile and feel good about myself.

And to the Donna’s of the world, I would also like to say that being overweight doesn’t automatically make you unhealthy. In the past 17 years I have gained close to 100lbs and it has absolutely nothing to do with what I’m eating or how much exercise I get. It is totally due to a medical condition I have and the drugs I have to take to treat it. AND eating healthy is NOT the answer for everyone. In fact, there are numerous “healthy” foods that I cannot eat because they will make me extremely ill. My family doctor is well aware of my weight gain and she is constantly monitoring my blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure etc. and all my tests have come back showing that I am fine. So, until you have walked a mile in my shoes, don’t be making general assumptions about me or anyone else. **stepping down off my soapbox now**

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 9:27 AM #

Thanks for the compliment Mary! That’s good you have a doctor to remind you that you are healthy even if you don’t fit society’s ideals. My doctor says I am healthy but sometimes I have a hard time believing and my husband always says should we listen to the one with the medical degree or the negative voices in your head lol

17. Dijana June 2, 2012 at 4:33 AM #

Oh, we’re talkin’ perfection again, eh? *squealing* YAY! My favorite subject!
    Before I start my rant, I must say that this is a personal opinion. Mine. If yours differ, well…that’s fine too.
    To everyone that says: ‘I’m not perfect.’
    Well daahlings, you have never met me. I’m perfect, I’m the picture of perfection, and you know what? You ARE too!
    Just ask yourself what ‘perfect’ is. Really, go on. And then, go look in the mirror and you will see it. Pure perfection and nothing else. It doesn’t take flat tummy or legs up till your armpits to be perfect. It takes just being YOU.
    If I had a flatter tummy, smaller feet, bigger boobies and bunch of other smaller or bigger body parts, I wouldn’t be ME.
    Being yourself is totally normal AND perfect. Just think of all quirks and qualities that make you well, YOU.
    There will be always people that will want to put you down, but it is up to you what you make of their comments. You can feel bad about it and wish for smaller/bigger body parts, or you can be yourself and flaunt what Mother Nature has given you. And remember that rich man is not the one who has everything…but the one that needs nothing 🙂 Y’all catch my drift, right?

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 9:24 AM #

Dijana I LOVE your opinion and the quote about how the rich man needs nothing! I am going to copy your attitude 🙂

• Dijana June 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM #

Hey, who doesn’t like what they see, they can walk with closed eyes. I won’t stop being me just because someone doesn’t like it. And nobody should. As long as you’re healthy, happy and content with what you have, that’s all that matters. When you and only you decide that it is time to change something, then it is OK to cut your hair, dye it green with purple spots and put contacts that sparkle like fireworks. After all, if one lives to please the world, what kind of life is that?! Love, live, laugh and do what matters to you! Bunch of warm (on the side of hot) Mediterranean hugs x x x

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM #

Thx I love the Mediterrranean and always welcome hugs from that part of the world!

18. Ann-K June 2, 2012 at 5:29 AM #

I know what you mean when you talk about a healthy weight… My mom and I are about the same height (5’4) she weights about 190 pounds (seriously, she’d kill me for writing that! :D) and I weight about 134 pounds and we are both totally healty, no diseases, no bone-structure or blood pressure or cholesterol-problems. Nobody’s perfect but a healthy body is a good body.

The past week I had my pre-period-extra-appetite, my belly was bloated and I have a spotty face because of my period and it’s also the result of ice-cream and bbq-parties 😉 But I started to eat more fruit again and I immediately feel better. I think it’s important to eat chocolate or sweets or chips in moderate amounts. It’s good for the soul and protects one from cravings. 🙂

• Megan June 2, 2012 at 8:32 AM #

I think this line: “I think it’s important to eat chocolate or sweets or chips in moderate amounts. It’s good for the soul and protects one from cravings.” is something we could all practice.

Too many times I tried to completely cut those things, along with pop, out of my diet. But then I let myself have the particular thing once and CRASHED, eating more than ai should. SO, I let myself have sweets, ice cream, chips, etc. every now and then. I give myself a little bit. I get a small dish or only eat a handful and put the rest away. I let myself have a pop/soda but then try to balance it with water and TRY to limit it to one a day.

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 9:33 AM #

I have done the same thing when I completely cut out sweets… crashed big time!!!!!!!

• Ann-K June 3, 2012 at 4:49 AM #

Me too. After that I tried to eat moderate amounts of sweets, chips, ice cream, etc. I came to the conclusion that it’s better for my weight and for my mood to allow myself a sin now and then.

• Shannon June 3, 2012 at 7:24 AM #

Me too. Life is too short to not indulge every now and again!

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM #

I agree. I feel like if I deny myself sweets every now and then I end up wanting them more and then binging and eating a ton of them. And chocolate is good for the soul 🙂

19. Mars June 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM #

Oh I really just noticed the vibrant dress, excellent colors!

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 12:02 PM #

Thanks. The colors are what made me get the dress!

20. Vicki June 2, 2012 at 3:30 PM #

1. I liked the Betsey Johnson dress.
    2. I get bloated during my period too. Personally, I could wear a big dress or shirt to attempt to mask it, but it still shows (so wear what ya want & own it, girl!).
    3. I understand freedom of speech (or in this case typing) completely, in addition to freedom of opinion & free will. I also understand that no matter if anyone is of religious background or not – they still know what the “Golden Rule” is: to treat others how you would like to be treated.

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM #

Vicki, good to know I am not the only one who gets bloated. I want to wear big stuff when I am on my period but it actually makes me look even heavier and more pregnant lol

21. Nadine June 2, 2012 at 7:47 PM #

Shannon, please put no value on other people’s opinions. We are ordinary women, no supermodels. Nobody is perfect, but everyone is beautiful in their own way. Stupid comments shouldn’t bother you, it is important that you feel comfortable. If people don’t like what they see, then they should look away. Stay the way you are, because you’re awesome. You rock!

• Shannon June 2, 2012 at 8:01 PM #

Thanks Nadine. I am confident most of the time but every once in a while my insecurities creep up. I am glad I have a blog with awesome readers to remind me to love myself!

22. Carol June 3, 2012 at 10:29 PM #

What is wrong with people?

You’re absolutely right. Wear the hell out of that dress, eat those damn cupcakes, enjoy life. Like you said, there are so many things that are more important than that. But you know what? People who say things like that or who complain about someone being more than just bones are the ones who struggle and never eat what they want and are really, really unhappy.

I’m so glad you’re teaching your daughter to love herself, not her body. Because we are not a body, we are so much more.

And Pluto will always be a planet in my books. Always.

• Shannon June 4, 2012 at 5:13 PM #

I am glad you agree… especially about Pluto!

23. Chrissy June 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM #

I LOVE you Shannon,
    u r beautiful!
    End of discussion 🙂

• Shannon June 5, 2012 at 7:30 PM #

you are sweet end of discussion!

• Chrissy June 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM #

aw thanks 😀

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. RAIN ON MY PARADE | PoopPeePuke – Staying Glamorous Despite the Mess - June 2, 2012

[…] post from yesterday about being pregnant with a cupcake caused quite the stir. I said how I feel but sometimes thoughts are better expressed through song […]