PRINCESS A’S OUTFIT OF THE DAY

virgin america mood lighting crying baby

Mood Lighting made the crying a little more bearable

We took Princess A on her second cross country trip to LA and I would love to say that this flight went better than last time but it did not. She cried and pulled her ears the whole time even though we gave her baby Advil. This time was worse because she refuses to take a bottle so we couldn’t get her to suck on anything during take off and landing. The one good thing was that we flew Virgin America this time and it was amazing. The flight attendants were so nice, the food was amazing, and I really enjoyed the mood lighting.

airplane virgin america baby traveling ears popping

Clouds

Occasionally, Princess A took a break from crying to look out the window and stare at the clouds.

baby travel ears popping

Maybe this will work?

We packed tons of toys and books to keep her occupied. Most of them were complete failures. I ended up snuggling with the quilt SuperGlamFan Jessica got Princess A because I was so stressed out.

that's not my princess cabbage patch doll

Studying Up

The only things that kind of worked were a princess book, a water bottle, and the Cabbage Patch doll that SuperGlamFan Linda got her.

cabbage patch doll this little piggy

Piggies

I really hope Princess A learns to like travel soon. We have a lot of trips planned this summer and I don’t want her to cry during every plane ride.

I know I have asked before but any more tips on flying with a baby?

One Piece- Splendid from Aunt Stacey via Diapers.com

That’s Not MY Princess book- from Aunt Stacey via YoYo.com

Cabbage Patch Doll- SuperGlamFan Linda

Carseat- Chicco Keyfit via Diapers.com

Princess Quilt- SuperGlamFan Jessica

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “PRINCESS A’S OUTFIT OF THE DAY”

1. Karen Dent May 29, 2012 at 8:21 AM #

I have never flown with a child before so I don’t really have great advice. I have done 24 hour car rides to Disney with two kids before. David was 14 months when we did the first one and I must say they were absolute angels in the car. We had a portable DVD player and they watched movies for most of the trip. We were prepared with Gravol in case they got car sick or to help them sleep. We ended up only needed it because Katie go the flu on the ride home.
    It looks to me like you planned everything right. You had a lot of variety to try to keep her occupied and to help relieve boredom.
    Will she drink from a sippy cup, or a straw? I know they make some sippy cups with straws in them. That may help with take off or landing. The only other thing I can think of is suckers and she may be too young for them.
    Good luck with your travels. At least she is cute so other passengers shouldn’t be too upset with her LOL!
    Karen

• Shannon May 29, 2012 at 9:13 AM #

She hates sippy cups and we can’t get her to figure out a straw :(. I will ask her doc about suckers though.

• Karen Dent May 29, 2012 at 12:56 PM #

I just realized I said “Gravol” that it what it is in Canada, I think down there it is dramamine? For motion sickness. You can get it for kids and I know it knocks mine out. I know Benadryl will also sometimes work, but be careful it makes some kids super hyper and that would defeat the purpose LOL. I don’t normally recommend drugging kids to get them to sleep, but if it helps make travelling easier on her it might be something to try as a last resort.

• Shannon May 29, 2012 at 2:52 PM #

I don’t like the idea of drugging kids for sleep either but honestly I don’t think it is worse than them crying for 6 hours straight. I felt so bad for her 🙁

2. Mandy May 29, 2012 at 8:34 AM #

I’m sorry you had such a crappy flying experience. At least the princess looks cute and was on a spiffy plane.

I have now flown with kids at aged 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 17, 21 and 25 months. The 6-10 months have been the hardest. They’re too big to sleep most of the flight and too little to communicate what they need or want in any way other than crying.

We flew to Beijing this weekend with our 2 girls. Our 2 year old is an expert flyer. Magna-doodle, aqua doodle and an ipad kept her entertained the entire time (a 2 hour flight for us.) This was her first flight without a pacifier, so we were a bit worried about her ears. We took 2 different cups (1 sippy, 1 straw) and got a bottle of water. We were able to get her to take sips to trigger swallowing to pop her ears when she started tugging on them. Our 6 month old slept on the way there, but just couldn’t chill out on the way back. Feeding, chewing on plastic and singing were the only things that kept her calm. She was just beyond exhausted and a total bear about it. The flight could have been a lot worse and had her crying the whole time and not just when I was trying to get her to rest.

My advice: schedule a flight around the kids schedule (we learned waking kids up early from their bed time routine does not work, as it can make them over tired), provide different types of drinks and snacks- water, juice, milk… you really just need them to swallow, not necessarily suck on something. Benadryl can be your friend- try it out ahead of time to see how it effects your kid, but it’s side effect is drowsiness. And invest in an ipad or portable dvd player. Toys keep interest for about 10 minutes tops, then you’re trying something different. Then lots of thoughts and prayers.

An older flight attendant told me once that in the 70’s-80’s she used to hand out a little alcohol shot to the little ones pass out. It’s tempting sometimes… very tempting.

I wish there was a fix-all for this problem, but unfortunately air travel just isn’t for everyone… I am sure she’ll grow out of it at some point.

• Shannon May 29, 2012 at 9:16 AM #

That is tempting lol. I didn’t know Benadryl works. We try it out like you said beforehand to see how it effects her. And we have an ipad but she through it lol so maybe she is too young for it.

3. Jessica May 29, 2012 at 9:27 AM #

Aww I’m glad the blanket was comforting to one of you! When I was putting them together I was worried they wouldn’t turn out the way I pictured them in my mind.

As she gets a little older she will get better at flying. My niece & nephew were the same way when they were her age. They just have to grow & learn how to adjust to the change in pressure. Good luck girl!

• Shannon May 29, 2012 at 9:42 AM #

Thanks Jessica and the blankets are perfect. My husband is jealous of the one you got J and Sheila’s baby because he loves superheros! Can you email me at pooppeepuketheblog@gmail.com with your address for a thank you card?

4. Sally May 29, 2012 at 9:44 AM #

My kids have flown around the world on both commercial & military planes. Their pediatrician recommended a small dose of Dimetapp 45 mins before take off. This wasn’t to drug them up for 11+ hrs so they’d sleep, but rather to prevent ear, nose, & throat problems after we landed in whatever foreign country we were headed to. They were about Princess A’s age, off the bottle but too young to chew gum. I was really hesitant to give my toddlers (19 months apart in age) drugs, but after a couple of miserable plane rides, I decided to try it. IT WORKED! No fussing, whining, nothing. They enjoyed flying anywhere after that & played with the toys, books, whatever I brought with us to occupy their time. The plus side of it was, that I didn’t have to locate a military dr. within 36 hrs after landing in country. Note: this was only used because of their age & unable to “pop their ears”. I guess it has to do with the altitude, pressurization & throwing their equilibrium of balance.

• Shannon May 29, 2012 at 11:27 AM #

Thanks I will try dimetapp. Sounds like you know a lot about flying with kids 🙂

5. Missy May 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM #

Wish I had known the Benadryl trick!As for the iPad she might need to be just a tad older Josh loves mine but we have been using it for his therapy too. I will email you a list of the apps we love for Josh

• Shannon May 29, 2012 at 2:53 PM #

Thanks!!! Princess A likes the ipad she just doesn’t have the motor skills yet to keep it on her lap.

6. Jess May 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM #

I just wanted to say how brave you are for flying at all with a little one! Warren is old enough now that I would have no problems with taking him on a flight. I have friends in the music industry that have occasionally flew me out just for fun, and I thought, what would I do? I actually figured I’d leave him home and just bring tons of pictures. For guys who look all tough in their metal and rock and roll t-shirts. They sure melt for kid pictures lol.

Have a wonderful trip!!

• Shannon May 29, 2012 at 2:53 PM #

Thanks Jess! I would leave Amelia at home but I don’t want my family and friends to miss out on her as a baby.

7. Céline May 30, 2012 at 4:16 AM #

I hope that your trip went well despite the agitation of Princess A.It’s true that is not easy to travel with a small. i’m sure that Princess A was wise anyway

• Shannon May 30, 2012 at 9:11 AM #

We had fun once we got here!