NO MEANS NO

stubborn baby eater

Hell to the No!

Princess A used to eat basically everything except for chicken and watermelon. She would eat tons of veggies and basically everything in sight. Lately, she has become a bit of a picky eater. Even when I give her foods that she has loved since she started solids she gives me the above look and refuses to eat.

mom blog picky eater toddler

Not Gonna Happen... Do I Look 6 Months Old to You?

It’s like she is telling me that she is an adult now and if she doesn’t want to eat she doesn’t have to and, “How dare you serve me food that I ate when I was a BABY. I am a big girl now and tomorrow I am moving out!”

This is all very hard on Freckles because he wants the food so bad!

cavalier king charles spaniel spinach

Sucks to Be You Freckles!

So far I have been ignoring her when she throws her food around and refuses to eat because I figure she is doing it for attention or control. But then I worry that I am over thinking it and I should just make sure she eats enough. But then I am like ughhhh babies don’t intentionally starve themselves she will eat when she is hungry.

I have quite the inner monologue going on about what I should do with Princess A’s picky eating. I have noticed though if I ignore her behaviour she ends up eating a little food. And she doesn’t seem hungry even though she is a billion times more active than she was 6 months ago and she eats way less! Maybe her metabolism has slowed down?

Who knows? All I know is I feel really bad for Freckles but it’s really funny when she finally does eats and refuses to give any to Freckles.

Any advice from fellow moms about how to handle a picky eater?

Tags: , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “NO MEANS NO”

1. Nadine May 18, 2012 at 1:01 PM #

Jaden also had phases where he has hardly eaten anything. But then there were days when he ate pretty much. I think it is no reason to worry, it seems to be normal… somehow.
    Cute pictures! 🙂

• Shannon May 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM #

Thanks for the reassurance Nadine!

2. Lisanne May 18, 2012 at 1:19 PM #

It’s sure their grown is slowing down a bit. But I would say if she doesn’t want to eat, just say that she will have nothing else (sure not dessert!) and even if she continue, remove her food and continue (As what I read, it’s pretty much what you do!)She’ll understand soon that if she is hungry, she needs to eat, but eat what you give her and when you give it to her.

• Shannon May 18, 2012 at 1:44 PM #

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I do now but it’s just shocking to me how active she is and how little she eats so I need reassurance! She rarely gets dessert anyway. We gave her a brownie on mother’s day though 🙂

3. Nadine May 18, 2012 at 1:33 PM #

I don’t think it’s right “forcing” children to eat something that they don’t want to eat. It’s better if they have an alternative (Of course, no sweets).
    But they’re little people with their own personality and they have their own will.

• Shannon May 18, 2012 at 1:42 PM #

That’s what my gut tells me. I know moms who force their kids to eat stuff and I feel like I spend some much time forcing Amelia to not do stuff like walking into the street or putting her fingers in electrical outlets that I would rather not force her to eat stuff as well lol

4. Kim May 18, 2012 at 1:45 PM #

It is ver normal for children to go through bouts of not eating much. My Dr. actually told that little ones eat the right way by “grazing” all day and only eating when they are hungry. I know it’s hard when they won’t eat, but trust me when she has a growth spert she will eat you out of food.

• Shannon May 18, 2012 at 1:51 PM #

LOL, yes she is definitely a grazer right now. It’s just such the opposite of how she used to eat. When she started finger foods she ate like I had been starving her.

5. Ann-K May 18, 2012 at 2:57 PM #

Could be Lillian on the pictures! It’s been the same with her… She shook her head when it came to carrots, fruits, meat, onions and whatnot. “Mom! Seriously?! You want me to eat THAT? Are you out of your mind?”.
    Now she eats almost everything except bitter things and sourkraut. But I’ve read somewhere that kids have to learn that bitter and sour things can be delicious.
    There are times when she refuses to eat almost all day… just a few bites of bread and apple. Sometimes it’s just stubbornness but other times it’s a sign for a) puke or b)a cold

• Shannon May 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM #

Gppd to know. I think right now she is just being stubborn because I hope there is no puke or cold coming!!!!!

6. Melody May 18, 2012 at 3:26 PM #

I wish I had an answer. I’m dealing with this issue myself. I just try to give my little one new stuff or different food and if she doesn’t like, Oh well. Hopefully she’ll grow out of it. The annoying thing is she’s already under weight and we’ve been giving her everything we can and that the nutritionist and endocrinologist recommended, to get her weight up. Btw, I love the first pick of Princess A. It’s the perfect stink eye/not amused face lol.

• Shannon May 18, 2012 at 6:37 PM #

Thanks Melody. If I figure anything out I will let you know. Princess A was under weight for her first couple of months of life so I know how stressful that can be.

7. Camilla (@Gamolie) May 18, 2012 at 4:47 PM #

I am so in love with the first photo. And I agree, offer a variety but don’t push, and ignore the throwing, and she’ll figure out her food habits. 🙂 From what I understand those first few years are big in preferences changing, especially depending on food texture.

• Camilla (@Gamolie) May 18, 2012 at 6:05 PM #

By the way, do you mind if we reblog these or link them on Facebook or other blogs? Seriously, I keep coming back to look at the first photo and I want others to see it. *lol

• Shannon May 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM #

You can ALWAYS reblog me, share links to me website, use my pics, ect. Just as long as you credit me. I am never going to say no to people sharing my blog 🙂

• Camilla (@Gamolie) May 18, 2012 at 7:45 PM #

I am laughing so hard because just as I came back to see your reply, my daughter said “What does no mean?” I said “Just like this headline, no means no.”

• Shannon May 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM #

hahaha i hope she understood!

• Shannon May 18, 2012 at 6:36 PM #

Thanks Camilla… she was never picky before so this is new to me lol

8. Lara J May 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM #

Her face in the first pic is epic!!

I had the same issue. I tried everything! Hiding veggies in other food she liked, but I finally broke down and got vitamins and pediasure when she was older…the new commercial had a kid with the same problem recently!

They have some wonderful formulas for older babies and toddlers and I admit I gave my child those for a very long time. That kept her healthy and she ate what I could get her to eat.

• Shannon May 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM #

I don’t think she needs vitamins yet it’s just weird how she loves a food one week and then hates it another week!

• Lara J May 19, 2012 at 12:04 AM #

Yeah the baby vitamins are really gross and funky. I guess just change up the foods and make sure she doesn’t get anemic or anything? As long as you keep getting the stink eye and Al Capone looks, I think you’re safe 😉

• Shannon May 19, 2012 at 7:25 AM #

hahahaha that is totally an Al Capone look!

9. Jordan May 18, 2012 at 11:16 PM #

This is exactly what I went through with Rayne. And, unfortunately, still do. She ate so much as a baby, once she moved into being a toddler, she wouldn’t eat anything. Sometimes I worry she’s not getting enough nutrition so I’ve been getting her Pediasure Sidekicks. It’s pretty normal for them to go through these phases, but the Pediasure eases my mind at least. I don’t know how they can have so much energy without eating a horse every morning. But they do it.

• Shannon May 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM #

I will try these sidekicks you speak of lol

10. Melissa May 18, 2012 at 11:29 PM #

Ahhh. We went through this, and then where he would only eat foods that were green, then no meat unless it was McDonald’s chicken nuggets. They may get picky, they will never starve themselves. It’s just not in them. Give her a set time to eat, then once that time is up, take it away, clean her up and move on. If you don’t make a big deal about it, she will soon start eating better. Just make sure to keep an eye that she’s not eating some kinds of crazy things like dirt when you’re not looking. That could signify a mineral deficiency.

• Shannon May 19, 2012 at 7:26 AM #

Good to know… She hasn’t tried to eat anything besides dog food but the pediatrician knows about that and thinks she is just copying lol