NO MAKEUP

This was originally posted on Dec. 8th, 2011.
Every night before I go to bed I pick out my outfit for the next day. This way I will just put me outfit on and be able to put my makeup on very quickly. Well today Amelia ruined that plan and ate a leaf she found and puked all over my cute shirt. I didn’t have a lot of clean clothes so by the time I picked out a suitable replacement I had no time to put makeup on…. but I still wanted to be glamorous!

So I put on my biggest sunglasses to hide the dark circles, some cute earrings, and a big scarf around my head. Head Scarves are my favorite way to look fab on a not so fab day. After Amelia was born I lost a lot of hair in the front which my doctor and hairstylist remind me is common but I still am not happy about it! Head scarves are a glamorous way to cover this flaw until my hair grows back in.

I also have a lot of acne scars from when my skin broke out postpartum. I was going to photo shop this out and then decided against it. If no one used photo shop I think people would feel better about themselves knowing that everyone has flaws. And besides…. this is who I am… a busy mom who doesn’t always have time to put makeup on. I’m not going to just hide in my apartment and stop enjoying my life because I don’t fit some imaginary ideal.

So I have decided I will never use photo shop to fix my flaws. I will only use it to get rid of red eyes and try to make the pictures where Amelia won’t stop moving less blurry… and maybe I will add some cool effects. But ever since I had my daughter I think about being a role model for her with every action I make. I want her to know it ok to have flaws and if you like dolling yourself up do it because it makes you feel good and wear what you love… not what other  people think is cool.

This bracelet also makes me happy on a stressful day.

Head Scarf- Vintage

Sin Glasses- Chanel (Gift)

Earrings- Betsey Johnson (Gift)

Bracelet- Betsey Johnson (Gift)

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “NO MAKEUP”

1. Jamie December 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM #

Absolutely love your attitude. If more people thought this way there would be alot more happy people on this planet. Oh, very cute look.

• shannonsutherland December 8, 2011 at 6:43 PM #

Thanks Jaime!!!! I agree. I used to work fashion shows and it took the models 5 hours to get runway ready… if people knew this I think they would stop looking down on themselves for not looking like models because models don’t even look like models lol.

2. Star December 8, 2011 at 11:48 AM #

I’m so w/ you on the no make up thing.
    I have an 11 1/2 yr.old & a newborn body, so its important to make sure they don’t look at women the wrong way.
    I try & make sure they will always have a positive outlook on women.
    Love reading your blog!

3. Brianna December 8, 2011 at 12:03 PM #

Very true and take from a mom that’s usually busy in the morning…I know how you feel with just grabbing something and going.

• shannonsutherland December 8, 2011 at 6:40 PM #

Yes, I feel like a fireman most mornings where I have 1 minutes to get ready!

4. Seanna December 8, 2011 at 12:22 PM #

I hope your daughter is a confident lady when she grows up and knows beauty and glamor are fun but not what defines us and I’m postive she will if you continue to be this awesome. I’m glad you won’t use photoshop to take out the flaws in your pictures it shows you’re a real person.

5. Brooke December 8, 2011 at 12:41 PM #

I think you look lovely! And very beautiful! I love the headscarf, btw! I have tried to do those before, but they never look right on me. You’ve encouraged me to try again 🙂

Also, I can’t tell you how much it warms my heart to hear you say that you want to be a role model for your daughter in every way–and in doing that, teaching her to love herself for who she is! 🙂 The rest of the world needs to adopt that same mentality!

• shannonsutherland December 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM #

Thank you that means so much to me!!!!!! Good luck with the head scarf it is a life saver for busy days!

6. JoiceLLCullen December 8, 2011 at 1:22 PM #

Wish you were showing your eyes ! I love ’em.

7. Janey Hicks December 8, 2011 at 1:25 PM #

Well done for keeping it real – we all have flaws, spot break outs and scars. It is what is inside and how you live your life that is important. From what I can see of your photo – you are pretty without the make up
    Take care

8. lisa (@heyLeesTweets) December 8, 2011 at 5:29 PM #

i love your idea 🙂

9. Dijana (aka Diana) December 8, 2011 at 8:03 PM #

I’m so glad that I ‘found’ another person keeping it real in a world of fakes. And this comes out just a day or so after H&M admitted thet they’re putting a model’s head on computer generated bodies. For those of us who know better, a blemish or two is no big deal, but I wish that someone started telling young people that it’s OK to be themselves. In a world where everyone wants to be somebody else, I salute your decision to show the world that it’s just fine being yourself. After all, we were all born unique. Why we should strive to become someone’s copy?

10. Chick Under Construction December 9, 2011 at 11:47 AM #

Glad I accidentally found your site. I love the scarf, or anything with a vintage feel for that matter! Continue keeping it real and teaching your daughter to do the same. I’ll be stopping back, take care!

11. Tara December 9, 2011 at 10:19 PM #

I used to do fine art nude modeling for artists and photographers and one of the photographers, the director of an art school here in my state, showed me what Photo Shop can really do. He did a side by side portrait and it really blew me away, completely changed my perspective. I haven’t looked at images the same since. You’re setting a great example for your little girl!

12. Mandy May 17, 2012 at 7:38 AM #

Embrace the flaws. Have you heard of BB cream? So quick and easy. It’s my Korean discovery that I’ll be taking with me when I leave. I’m not big on make-up, but this stuff kids the little sins.

• Shannon May 17, 2012 at 7:40 AM #

no what is BB cream?

• Mandy May 17, 2012 at 8:14 AM #

It’s an all in one moisturizer, primer, foundation, and sunblock. Many of the Korean brands also have a whitening product. I seriously use a pea size amount each day and I’m done.

13. Céline May 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM #

I love your glasses, necklace and your earrings