BABY MANI/PEDI PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

This was originally posted on December 30th, 2011
I don’t understand why baby nails are so sharp. No matter how much I trim and file Princess A’s nails she still seems to cut herself and others with her nails. Maybe it is so babies can defend themselves from bad people? I don’t know the answer to this but I do know that cutting baby nails sucks.

Since Princess A was born she has hated getting her nails cut. I don’t understand this because I love getting manicures and pedicures and would be so happy if I got them every day! Right now if I get one once a month if I am lucky. Above is my new manicure with Minx nail art for Marc Jacobs. My fab friend Langley gave them to me!

I have asked other parents for advice. I have heard that I should do it while she is sleeping but how is that even possible? Princess A wakes up if I walk in the room while she is sleeping. I have tried letting her watch TV while I try to cut her nails and that doesn’t work either.

So right now I try to cut her nails once in the morning and once at night and it is like we are boxing. She hits me and wiggles around. One time she jerked her hand away so quick I cut her finger with the nail clipper. I felt so bad about it and cried myself to sleep. She didn’t care she was just happy for her manicure to be over! If I get one nail trimmed per session I am a lucky woman.

I have also tried filing her nails but that doesn’t keep them short enough.

I am very sensitive about it because people always say,”Amelia’s nails are really sharp you should cut them.” Really? I didn’t notice. I spend 24 hours a day with her and I have no idea her nails are sharp even though she scratches me in the face multiple times a day. It also bugs me because they make it seem like it is so simple. As if all I would have to do is cut her nails and then everything would be better.

When Princess A was 2 months old I was fed up and took her to a nail salon to see if they would cut her nails. They said no so now I am out of ideas. Do any of you have tips on cutting baby nails?

Tags: , , , , ,

18 Responses to “BABY MANI/PEDI PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!”

1. Jen December 30, 2011 at 4:16 PM #

Cutting baby’s nails in like being in Fight Club…clearly who ever is saying that hasn’t been to the fight…even my 2 year old and I still go through this fight almost everyday…the only thing that I know makes it a little easier is when they are in the bath…the nails get super soft and sometimes if you cut a little you can almost rip the rest off…not ideal but at the very least they are shorter

Oh and side note…we have ALL cut our kids fingers time and again so don’t beat yourself up over it!!! I’ve done it so many times that I have lost count…I always thing I’m the worst mom ever when I do it…whereas my kids get super excited because it’s another excuse to put on a “my little pony” band-aid and somehow all is well with the world…sigh…must be nice!!

Of course if all else fails there is always round two of fight club tomorrow…and end the night with a sanity beverage instead…

• shannonsutherland December 30, 2011 at 7:38 PM #

Jen… I love how you describe it as fight club!!!!!! Thanks for the bathtub advice. I can’t wait till Princess A is old enough to care about band aids. I totally drink an end of the night sanity beverage a little more than I would like to admit!

2. Jennifer December 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM #

My kids are 8 & 10 and it’s still hard to get them to sit still so no one gets cut! I’ve never found any magic way to cut a babies nails, seems like even when you finally get them cut the next day, long again! Sounds to me like your doing the best you can, don’t let people get you down! Until they’ve had kids they can’t understand that the simplest task is now like trying to split the atom with a spoon!!! Happy living!!!

• shannonsutherland December 30, 2011 at 7:39 PM #

Thanks Jennifer… it really is the hardest thing I have ever done!

3. Jacqui Dunaway December 30, 2011 at 7:00 PM #

Welcome to the club, all mothers feel your pain. The only way that my two year lets me cut them is if I let him play with my phone or any new object that he hasn’t seen often. I didn’t think of the salon but I did call his doctor’s office and ask if any of the nurses could do it. None did.

4. Felicia Palmer December 30, 2011 at 7:35 PM #

It’s the same all over the world. One mother tried to convince me that biting them off was a great idea, however it’s not for me so she would complain after that that Conner’s nails were always too long. In fact, his were a dream as they wpuld simply be soft and fall away by themselves. My other 2 however have very sharp and strong nails, and were a nightmare to trim as they flatly refused to come to the party and stay put. It does get better though, trust me.

5. Tara Costlow December 30, 2011 at 7:38 PM #

I’m with Jen with the bath idea. My daughter’s were really bad and during her bathes seemed to work the best. My son is a nail biter. Ever since he started growing teeth I have yet to really have to cut his fingernails. My older sister used to bite her kids’ nail when she breastfed them. I could never imagine doing this but it worked for her. I also cried myself to sleep when I cut Ivy’s skin the first time. I was young, she was like three weeks old, my husband was at work and I felt like she just kept bleeding. Hang in there.

• shannonsutherland December 30, 2011 at 8:36 PM #

Thanks Tara. Princess A already has 4 teeth… I wish she would bite her nails. I am so glad to hear everyone’s stories and know I am not the only mom who has cut their baby’s fingers.

6. Ann-K December 31, 2011 at 7:04 AM #

Same here… it was a nightmare cutting Lillians Nails. I use baby nail-scissors. I can’t handle those nail-clippers…

I don’t know who had the idea to cut the nails in their sleep – must’ve been the mother or father of a marmot. ^^ Lillian sleeps tight but after the first nail she wakes up – so that was a bad idea because I don’t want to ruin her sleep.

Toe-nails are even more difficult to cut because those little fighters kick like there’s no tomorrow.
    What I did was to lay her down, put her arm flat to her side and grab her hand really tight, even if she was protesting like I’d have wanted to kill her, but that made it more difficult for Lillian to pull away.
    You can always try to tell her to hold still and if she’s doing so, explain to her that it will be over soon and she can go play agian. She won’t understand yet, but the older she gets, the better it works, at least for Lillian. 😉

• shannonsutherland December 31, 2011 at 10:24 AM #

Ann, putting her on her side is a great idea. I will try that today! I will also try scissors… I never thought of that before. Thanks!

7. Chrissy May 10, 2012 at 9:09 AM #

Andrew used to HATE getting his nails cut too. The best way I found to cut them back then was to sit him on my lap, turn on his favorite show or movie, wait until he was immersed and then cut them while he was distracted. Everyone always told me to do it when he was sleeping but he has always been a very light sleeper so that would never work. Another thing I did that worked for a while was singing his favorite songs while trimming his nails. Not as effective as the TV but it worked none the less.

• Shannon May 10, 2012 at 9:15 AM #

Good idea. I do it in the bathtub now but I still can’t imagine doing it while she is sleeping lol

8. Camilla (@Gamolie) May 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM #

I always had to do the thing where I put them in my lap with their back against my belly, wrap my legs around their legs, and pin them to my side. It was awful, but thankfully they only needed it once a week or so. My sister-in-law also suggested biting them myself, but my doctor explained that babies don’t have bacteria under their nails, so if they scratch themselves or others it rarely gets infected, but biting them would introduce that and ensure infections. Of course, that’s when they’re newborns, once they start crawling and grabbing, they get that bacteria anyway.

About a year ago I started realizing I wasn’t cutting my daughter’s nails as much and wondered why they weren’t growing much. Then one day I found her in a corner happily clipping her own nails. So maybe just hold out hope until she can manage clippers on her own and it’ll be a new experience for her. 🙂

• Camilla (@Gamolie) May 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM #

Also, I could never do the bathtub because water made their nails too soft, and the clippers always slipped and cut them. I did usually do it right before bath, though, so that the warm water soothed their mood.

• Shannon May 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM #

That would be my dream come try lol

9. Melody May 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM #

I’m starting to think that the whole clipping the nails while they’re asleep thing is a myth lol. That would never happen with my little one. She would wake up the minute I touched her hand. The only nails on my daughter that I can clip without any problem are her toe nails. I can clip them while she’s drinking from her sippy cup and she barely notices. The nails on her hand are always a pain. I usually either have to have her dad hold her arm while I clip or I just have to struggle with her or take breaks and do one hand in the morning and the other later.

• Shannon May 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM #

I think it’s a myth too but so many people tell me that. Maybe they hire magic elves… that is more believeable than them doing while their child is sleeping lol