WHY DON’T YOU LIKE ME?

black labe bebe fashion

Bullet and I nailing it.

This is my brother’s black labradore hunting dog, Bullet. I LOVE all dogs so it was really upsetting when I came home from college about 7 years ago and my brother’s dog hated me. He growled and barked whenever he saw me. We think he may have thought I was trespassing on his territory since usually he slept in the basement alone with my brother. When I came home for a visit I slept in the basement guest room and I was the first person to do this so maybe he was upset about it. Who knows? Anyway, we worked hard and watched a lot of Cesar Milan’s The Dog Whisperer. By giving Bullet treats whenever I came into contact with him and talking softly and never making eye contact Bullet grew to love me.

Now when I go home to visit Bullet is very happy to see me and he is also in LOVE with The Husband Aaron. The first time they met Bullet rolled over so Aaron could rub his belly.

It was hard work but I am glad bullet and I are now friends. The above picture was taken at the end of my school break after Bullet had finally accepted me.

Do any of you have stories about getting an animal to trust and like you?

Coat- Bebe

Sunglasses- Chanel

Tags: , , , , ,

12 Responses to “WHY DON’T YOU LIKE ME?”

1. Lara May 7, 2012 at 12:17 PM #

I do have a dog story. I met a Chihuahua that was nervous because he was a dog for a disabled woman and there was a lot of people around. The woman told me to let him sniff my closed fist and I spoke to him as soft as I could lika
    e I would to a baby and I did and was able to pet him and then a few minutes later he made his way onto my lap and was just standing there looking around. He was so cute and it made my day. I love all animals. My daughter was even able to pet him even though he is nervous with kids. Animals sense they can trust me and love me. I guess I treated him like I would treat my child when I’m putting her to bed. Makes me miss my dog, who was so excited about people he would tackle them. You both look fab! Fab with a Lab! 🙂 LJ

• Shannon May 7, 2012 at 12:29 PM #

I like that fab with a lab!

2. Missy May 7, 2012 at 1:31 PM #

My cat Jack Daniels was rescued from a hoarding house then spent 5 months in the shelter before we adopted him.He is wonderful now but it took him a long time to adjust and he still has some major quirks.

• Shannon May 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM #

I didn’t know Jack Daniel was a rescue that is so sad he was in a hoaders house 🙁 good thing you found him.

3. Elizabeth May 7, 2012 at 11:36 PM #

My husband and I adopted a Basset Hound who had been horribly neglected and abused. The first week that we had Sally was VERY stressful. The first three days she would shy away from our every move, as if we would hit her at any moment. The next four days it was as if she was testing us…turning over trashcans, chewing books (books, not shoes….odd that), and leaving very large Basset turds on the dining room rug (the nice oriental rug, not the ratty rug in the den!) And she would never, ever let us pet her. A week later, the husband and I went to a wedding. When we got home, I was hit with the migraine to end all migraines! Maybe it was the champagne, the hot weather, or the hat I wore (looked great-very uncomfortable). While I was sitting on the couch whimpering in pain, Sally suddenly jumped up beside me and leaned against me. She put her paw on my leg and whimpered with me. Suddenly, Sally was my dog and I was her person. True love.

• Shannon May 8, 2012 at 7:27 AM #

what an amazing story!!! Dog are so attuned to our health and emotions. Give sally a belly rub for me.

4. Céline May 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM #

I like the picture. And I like you

• Shannon May 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM #

I like you too Celine 🙂

5. Jaclyn May 22, 2012 at 3:13 PM #

I’ve had a heck of a time with my fiance’s cat Fuzzy. He was abandoned in an apartment for 2 weeks before being discovered locked in the closet. We’ve had him almost a year and a half, and he still has moments. He’d been hit (you can tell by how he flinches from you if you move too fast), he’d had food withheld (he developed an eating disorder that he’s finally recovering from), and we’re pretty sure he’s been shot with an air gun. For the longest time, Fuzzy was terrified of me, he would run and crouch in the bedroom when I would come visit. After time (and feeding him when I was over) he finally started sleeping with me when I would come over. Since I’ve been able to move in, it has been better, but he still has bad days. The way he acts, we think he got PTSD from his treatment. His eyes will get huge, his ears will go flat, and he just reverts to defend mode and randomly attacks me. Thankfully, those moments are getting fewer and fewer, but he still has some really bad days.

• Shannon May 22, 2012 at 8:51 PM #

awww that sucks. I hope everything with fuzzy gets better!

• Jaclyn May 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM #

I’m the one that feeds him his breakfast and dinner, and I give him his wet food and everything, so we’re making progress. Unfortunately, I’m also the one who bathes him and shoves flea pills down his throat. So it’s one step back for every step forward.

• Shannon May 22, 2012 at 11:52 PM #

I am lucky because all my dog wants is attention so he doesn’t mind if I brush his teeth or give him pills