SANDBOX?

playground sandbox

Can I play?

Now that Princess A can walk she wants to play in the sandbox. I have never felt one way or the other about sandboxes but now I am hesitant to let her play in it. They seem gross to me… especially New York City sandboxes. Also, the last thing I want to do is clean off a baby covered in sand.

On the other hand I don’t want to be a party pooper or a paranoid mom. What are your opinions on sandboxes? Any tips on how to get your kid clean after they play in one so it doesn’t get all over your home?

Tags: , , , , ,

14 Responses to “SANDBOX?”

1. Nika May 4, 2012 at 4:21 PM #

Fortunately my parents-in-law bought one for their garden, so our sandbox is private 🙂
    I still see the cleaning point and tell you: dust off the child, empty the shoes and GET HER UNDRESSED AND BATHED AFTER GETTING HOME. In our case Junior undresses in front of the frontdoor (shoes, trousers, shirt, hat) and I carry him into the shower where he undresses completely. This also is an effective way (taking a shower) to get rid of the sand in the hair, ears, eyes, underneath fingernails, etc! It’s a lot of work – but its lot of fun. And guess what – sometimes wer’re both covered in sand (free peeling, haha)

• Shannon May 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM #

You have made it sound like a lot of fun now I don’t want to wait until she is older lol!!!

2. Jess May 4, 2012 at 4:25 PM #

In your case I’d just hold off letting her play in it. She’s still little. When she’s older it will be easier. I had a very large one my dad built me in our back yard. It had cat poop in it, but I never got sick, or had any problems, and I’m sure I didn’t wash my hands enough back then. Now, my son has one of those plastic ones that stays covered at night. He loves to play in it, but being we’re at our house all ready we can just hose off outside.

She’ll just have dirty hands if you hold off until she’s older. Possibly some on her butt and in shoes. But brush off the butt and empty shoes right there lol. For her hands, that’s pretty easy to clean off, rubbing her hands together and a couple wipes will at least help then you can really wash hands at home.

• Shannon May 4, 2012 at 6:40 PM #

Yeah, I think waiting till she’s older is a good plan.I know she would try to eat the sand at this age.

3. Ann-K May 4, 2012 at 4:30 PM #

We have a sandbox in our garden and Lillian loves to play in it. I’m taking off her shoes at the front door, shake her a few times (seriously, she loves it and laughs like crazy) and dust her clothes. That mostly it if the sand’s not to wet…

But I understand your opinion about public sandboxes on playgrounds. You never know who or what has been in it the night before and I think it’s a little gross, too. Are the playgrounds locked at night? If yes, there’s no need to worry.

• Shannon May 4, 2012 at 6:39 PM #

The playgrounds are locked at night. But I know people jump the fence and sleep there at night. It’s also NYC so anything is possible lol

4. Lisa May 5, 2012 at 1:38 AM #

my son cody LOVES sandpits (as we call them is australia) so when he plays in his at home, i put him in really old clothes and put gumboots on him and away he goes 🙂 then when he’s done all i have to to is take his boots off at the back door, and dress him outside under the carport lol (not when it’s like cold though) and then i hang his sandy clothes on the clothes line and brush the sand of for another day. It’s time wasting but at least i don’t get sand inside lol.

• Shannon May 5, 2012 at 7:21 AM #

I wish we had or own sandbox!

5. Mandy May 5, 2012 at 7:11 AM #

I only let Lily play in sand at the beach or a friends sandbox. For the record, baby powder helps remove sand.

6. Melody May 5, 2012 at 3:09 PM #

I don’t really care one way or the other as far as public ones go. My fiance and I are thinking about getting a little one for our backyard that way my daughter can have her own. My mom actually gave us a good idea. We told her about it and she said ” What about the green plastic turtle sandbox that has a lid to cover it up when your not using it “. I had completely forgotten about those. It would be perfect for us since we have dogs that run around in the backyard and the last thing we need is them jumping around in it and pooping in it. I’m not a big fan of brushing off the sand and possibly trailing it into the house, but it’s not too bad compared to other things she can drag into the house lol.

• Shannon May 5, 2012 at 3:37 PM #

I wish I had a backyard. I had a turtle sandbox as a child and loved it!!!!!

7. Lara J May 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM #

Does she put her hands in her mouth a lot? If so, I’d hold off on that stage. Bring wipes, and put her in some crocs so you can shake out the sand. I live in FL, so it’s like a giant anthill where I am, so sandboxes are filled with ants, sticks, grass, ect. and people throw whatever into them. Trash, cigarette butts, and I’m always worried about hypodermic needles because we had someone throwing them in our parks and beaches.

• Shannon May 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM #

Crocs are a good idea when she is ready. She puts everything in her mouth so you raise a good point about waiting!