STRANGER DANGER?

french bulldog and baby

Fancy Meeting You Here

Princess A loves dogs. Freckles especially but also dogs in general. Whenever we see a new dog on the street she points and smiles. If I know the dog is friendly I let her play with it. Well we were at the park and when I wasn’t looking a cute french bulldog puppy approached us. I did not know the dog was going to ask the owner if the dog was friendly but before I could…
french bulldog and baby playing

Play With Me Please!

the dog decided to start playing with Princess A. It was so cute I couldn’t handle it. I know I should have stopped the play session until I knew if the dog was nice but I couldn’t help myself.
french bulldog plays with baby

French Bulldog Kisses

Then the french bulldog started kissing Princess A and I have to say it was the cutest thing I have seen in a while. Sorry Freckles… we still love you!!!

Luckily, this scene ended well but I have often wondered how will I explain to Princess A that not all dogs are as patient and friendly as Freckles? Most dogs love playing with her but she is rough and I am afraid some dogs might not like it and bite her. In New York City we walk by tons of unknown dogs everyday and you can never predict which one is friendly. Sometimes the mean looking Pitbull is a soft cuddle bunny and the Yorkie is vicious.

I think for now I have to asses the situation and only let Princess A play with dogs I know. But when she is older and not in a stroller at all times I wonder how I should handle this because if she had it her way she would run up to every dog and start pulling their tails.

I think that when she is older I will say, “Not all dogs like to be played with or are as friendly as Freckles so before you pet a dog you should always ask the owner if the dog is friendly.”

What do you think? How do you educate your children about dogs?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to “STRANGER DANGER?”

1. Jennifer May 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM #

I taught both my kids to just hold their hand out. No matter what/whose dog, they need to stay still and hold a hand out for the puppy to sniff them. If the owner says the dog isn’t friendly I tell my kids and we just keep going. If they are friendly they can say hi and play. Just get Princess A into a routine and after a week or two she will start to hold her hand out whenever she sees a dog coming.

• Camilla (@Gamolie) May 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM #

That’s what we do, too. Always offer your hand, and also always ask the owner for permission first. We started it when she was just a baby because she’s adored dogs since then, and would run up and grab them (or reach out her stroller and grab before she could walk). She still has moments when she forgets, but overall it’s been a good routine for her. Most of the time she stands a few feet away and says “Hi puppy!” and then smiles at the owner, knowing that they’re the one who are going to say yes or no to touching the dog.

• Shannon May 2, 2012 at 7:01 PM #

Awwwwww. So cute!!!! Amelia reaches her hand out of her stroller as well. I think asking the owner seems to be the best idea so I think we will do that.

• Shannon May 2, 2012 at 7:06 PM #

I don’t do the hand part so I need to add that because I think that is an awesome idea.

2. Jess May 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM #

Our neighbor has a dog that is a big cuddly puppy. Warren knows that is the only dog he can run over and touch without asking. I’ve told him to stay away from all dogs until we know they’re friendly. It helps that another neighbor has a dog that loves to bark all the time and sound menacing behind the fence. He’s a pretty nice dog actually but Warren won’t go near him, thankfully that one dog has made him hesitant and careful of all dogs.

• Shannon May 2, 2012 at 7:04 PM #

You’re lucky all the dogs in our building are super friendly and run up to Amelia. They all love her which is awesome but I don’t think she has ever meet a nasty dog.

3. Amélie May 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM #

I have no kids, but it’s that I said to my cousins about dogs, that all dogs were not as friendly as the one I had at the time. 🙂

• Shannon May 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM #

Good to know that plan works!

4. Uli May 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM #

That third picture is absolutely brilliant!!
    Don’t have any wise words regarding dogs though – I still don’t know how to “read” a dog 🙂

• Shannon May 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM #

I am bad a reading dog as well. I was surprised Freckles didn’t get jealous of this because he usually barks at dogs he doesn’t know who get too close to Amelia. maybe he sensed that the dog was nice.

5. Laura May 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM #

OMG could this be any cuter?? I love the pic of the dog with his paw on Princess A’s back like he’s saying, “Excuse me but can we play?” That is priceless! Cute dogs and adorable babies, does it get any better?

• Shannon May 2, 2012 at 7:02 PM #

Right Laura!?!?!?! Aaron and I were dying when this happened.

6. Melody May 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM #

First, I must stop for a second and squeal at the cuteness. Ok squealing over lol. I’m pretty much doing the same thing with Amy dogs ( and other animals ). If we’re not sure if the dog is friendly, we keep our distance. Other than that, if it’s ok with the owner, we let her play with the dog. We mostly have to make sure that she doesn’t torture the dog because she just gets so excited.

• Shannon May 2, 2012 at 7:00 PM #

We have to make sure Amelia isn’t too rough with the dog as well. This was a puppy so they both had the same hyper energy lol

7. Lisa May 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM #

OMG!!! How CUTE!!

I found with my son Cody, as he got older, dogs got more scary. When he was around 1-2 he loved dogs. But now he’s 4, he finds dogs not so likeable. I think kids sense bad animals from good. Just like dogs who sense bad people from good people.

BTW…I SO love them leggings!!!

• Shannon May 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM #

Thanks… from Aunt Stacey of course. I hope Amelia is able to sense bad dogs when she is older!

8. Mandy May 3, 2012 at 8:16 AM #

I love the french kiss! I can just see her saying “what do you mean not all dogs are nice? this one is french…. and you love all things from france mama”