SEPARATION ANXIETY

separation anxiety playground

Tiny Person Big Tree

We are experiencing separation anxiety. Not from Princess A but from me. Princess A loves to go to the play ground and run around. When we are there she wants nothing to do with me. It is cute to watch such a tiny person walk around the park. It seems unreal.
mommy separation anxiety

Funny Baby Face

When she falls, Princess A doesn’t even want my help getting up. Even if that means she falls down a ton of times before she is up and running again.
small baby walking at playground

Tiny Person Big World

Last weekend Princess A went to her grandparent’s house for this first time in months. Usually I am relieved to get a break but this time I started crying the second she left. Since she is older now and we have more of a relationship I was worried she would be upset the whole weekend. Luckily, she didn’t experience any separation anxiety and had an amazing time with grandma and grandpa.

Princess A used to experience separation anxiety whenever we had a babysitter come over. That has ended as well. When our babysitter comes over she gives her a hug and waves bye to me without a care in the world. When I come home she doesn’t even hug me anymore and cries when the sitter leaves.

I am glad she is so independent but part of me misses the baby who clung to me and needed mommy at all times.

What do you do to cope with your own separation anxiety?

Tags: , , , , ,

11 Responses to “SEPARATION ANXIETY”

1. Lisanne May 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM #

Since I have no kids, I can’t tell you much about that. But I know it’s difficult for a mother (my mom tell me that all the time….), since she had to care a lot for her little one to look at what they’ve became and that they “don’t” need them that much for simple things. A mom never stop being a mom! I would say that right now, Princess A is trying to found what she can do by herself and what she can’t… even with that she’s still gonna need her momma, like everyone else! A toddler needs to stat constructing their self, what they like, what they don’tand everything…. but they still want to have their mummy close by in case, even if they don’t show it. Their mother is their security base. It’s gonna probably be a difficult time for you to adjust to the situation but remember that one you become a mother, youre always one and kids, wathever their age, need their mother. Found the new balance in your motherhood!

• Shannon May 1, 2012 at 2:45 PM #

so sweet and well put Lisanne

2. snarkysarcasticbish May 1, 2012 at 2:56 PM #

Oh hunny, hugs to you. It does get easier, but keep in mind, this was something that you wanted. At least it makes it easier to be able to go out. But for you, just remember that she loves you. It’s so obvious when she watches you and the smiles she gives whenever you go to take her pic. Mommy loves with all her heart and so does Amelia. She loves you with all of her heart. There will still be times when she is like don’t even think of walking away. First day of school will be a very hard time. Trust me, my daughter was almost through her kindergarten year before we got her to stop crying when I left her there. So you still have that to look forward to, but she will always need you and daddy. It will be okay hun. Keep on being glam….

• Shannon May 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM #

Thanks katie. I know I wanted her to not cry when I wasn’t holding her but now I am like “What about me?” lol

3. Donna May 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM #

I obviously do not handle it well – since my daughter is 12 and you can count the times on both hands that we have gone out without her/ I have only been away from her for 1 night. I threw my back out and had to stay overnight in the hospital – if it was not for the heavy pain medication I would have left during the night. The hospital was 3 miles from our home and I had my mother stay overnight to help my husband – my daughter was 7.
    The few times I have gone out without her – I call several times to check on her. Although I will admit I am getting better.We went to watch friends of ours who are in a band in Boston a few weeks ago – this is about 1 hour from our home – and I only called 3 times and stayed till last call. Still haven’t let her spend the night at anyone else’s house – though my house has friends and family staying when ever they like. I just don’t feel comfortble with her friends famulies = and my family are all smokers which I find to be unsafe .

• Shannon May 1, 2012 at 5:23 PM #

I agree about not letting her stay at a smoker’s home. When she was first born I had to let her go to grandpa and grandma’s because I was sick. Now I do it for a break and I want her to have a good relationship with them but the second she leaves I am like Nooooooo this was a bad idea I want her home.

4. Barbara Giantomaso May 1, 2012 at 4:47 PM #

you don’t cope with it…I have 4 kids age 8 to 4 and it’s hard ffor me to send them to school. When I have them at home they drive me insane…you can imagine the noise and confusion, but I’m used to it and when they’re away I miss them so much!, still, I’m happy when they come home and start telling me about their friends and what they’ve done. Be strong and a positive figure for her and she will always appreciate and love you.

• Shannon May 1, 2012 at 5:24 PM #

That is exactly how i feel. Freckles and Amelia drive me insane but when they are gone I am so sad.

5. Janelle May 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM #

I think I know this playground! I’m a nanny and I used to care for a child last year in that area. There’s a smaller jungle gym with double slides to your right, yeah? And also a ramp to a wide open area where the gate is??

Not an official mum but have been second mum to lots of children…it gets easier but the older they get, the more you worry. I see this in my own mother in reference to me. Hang in there!!

6. Melissa May 1, 2012 at 6:06 PM #

I’m going through the same thing, only older. I can remember having to go back to work when he was 6 weeks old and the horrible pain I had in my chest when I left in the morning. The poor thing probably thought I was insane. Luckily he was with my mom and was utterly fine with me being gone. Now it’s different. I have that “I’ll never see him again” feeling even though I know it’s not true. I think they only thing you can do is, take a deep breath, shed a few tears and be there for her when she does need your help up.