BRING YOUR CHILD TO WORK DAY 2012

bring your child to work day

Daddy and Princess A

Last week was bring your child to work day which is a great holiday but it happens every day in our home because The Husband and I both work from home… kinda. I work from home on my blog and The Husband works from home on his blog and promoting his comedy shows. At night he performs at his comedy shows but Princess A is sleeping by then so she doesn’t know he is gone. For the most part I am really happy that Princess A gets to see so much of us but sometimes there are challenges with working at home. Below I list the blessings and struggles that come when both parents work from home.

Pro: You get to be around your kids all day. Con: You get to be around your kids all day.

Pro: You can stay in your PJs all day if you so choose. Con: Sometimes you don’t have the self-control to stop living in your PJs.

Pro: You get to spend time with your spouse all day. Con: You understand the “Till death do you part” section of your wedding vows on a completely different level.

Pro: You get to cuddle with your dog all day. Con:You get to listen to your mentally imbalanced dog bark all day.

Pro: You are your own boss. Con:You are your own boss so when you have a tough day at work you have no one to hate but yourself.

Pro: Both parents get to be there for their child every step of the way. Con: There are no cons to this. In fact, this pro make all the cons disappear!

Do any of you work from home? If so, what are your pros and cons?

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “BRING YOUR CHILD TO WORK DAY 2012”

1. Jess April 30, 2012 at 3:46 PM #

I WANT to work from home! I got my degree in what I did specifically so I could do this. But the one thing I couldn’t predict was the economy tanking, and no one being crazy enough to change jobs if they have a secure one now. I wanted to do either medical coding or transcription from home. My dream job is to be a writer, but at least with my degree I can write, even if it is boring technical or medical stuff. I’d love to do transcription for a psychologist. Or find a writing career of some sort.

I can’t afford to work. I would have to make over 2 thousand a month to afford daycare plus expenses. So it’s actually cheaper for me to stay home. I am always looking for work though. I have horrible anxiety that makes working out of the house hard on me. Not impossible but not fun either. Even on my medication it doesn’t stop the anxiety and irrational fears that happen. I just wish I could find something stable, can be boring, I am not picky lol.

• Shannon April 30, 2012 at 6:45 PM #

I had to quit my third job. I was a stand-up comedian before Princess A but I didn’t make enough to cover the child care so I quit. But honestly I don;t think I could of done it anyway because when I leave my daughter I get very nervous.

2. Missy April 30, 2012 at 4:00 PM #

While my official title is stay at home mom I have been working to make my dreams of being a singer come true so I guess I feel like I have two jobs.When the kids go to bed I put my other hat on.

• Shannon April 30, 2012 at 6:43 PM #

That’s definitely 2 jobs!!!

3. clochette191 April 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM #

I’m a cooker, a nurse, and other jobs day and night, yes , i’m mom !!! I love to care of my daughters. I don’t have a job but it’s not my choice. I would like to have a job at home or not, because my daughters go to school and it’s boring when i don’t have anything to do. Perhaps i should improve my english, i think that it’s good idea! It’s sure that work at home is good but i think that work outside is good for the relationships, meet new people. In france, the hours of school is different : 8.30am to 11.30 am and 1.30 pm to 4.30 pm just for the little child. So, the day is long. Thanks to web to meet people like you.

• Shannon April 30, 2012 at 6:43 PM #

Yes, the web is great for making new friends! I do like getting to meet new people in person as well which is another draw back to working at home.

4. Camilla (@Gamolie) April 30, 2012 at 7:44 PM #

I work from home. I didn’t with the boys, and I hadn’t planned to when my daughter was born, but while I was on maternity leave I was laid off. I ended up going back for one month to end the fiscal year. For almost two years I was strictly a stay at home mom, then we bought a house and needed more income. I transcribe lectures for a local medical school, and while I don’t love the actual job, I love being at home and the flexibility of work hours. And then hopefully the jewelry thing will take off…

My husband’s a teacher so he’s home all summer, which is also when I’m off work since the university isn’t in session then. It’s nice, and I love the time that we’re all together, but I admit that by the end of the summer I’m ready to get back to a schedule again.

• Shannon April 30, 2012 at 8:30 PM #

I think the jewelry thing will take off! I can see how having a teacher husband can be awesome and not awesome.

5. Céline May 1, 2012 at 8:19 AM #

I also would like to work from home to take care of my children. But it requires much more work. And saw the work I want to do, it will be difficult me to work from home

• Shannon May 1, 2012 at 8:43 AM #

It is difficult. I kind of happened into it by accident.