FLYING WITH A HYPER TODDLER

Freckles loves to ride in the car. Always has always will. Princess A does not. She gets bored and antsy. I have tried many things but nothing works. I give her beanie boos but that only works for 10 minutes. Then I give her plastic things like water bottles and cups. This works for a while as well. The main problem is that Princess A just does not want to sit still. We are going to Los Angeles soon and I am starting to worry about the plane ride. I have run out of ideas and I am desperate. It’s gotten to the point were I am trying to get Freckles to tell Princess A that relaxing and napping while en route is fun.

This is obviously a ridiculous idea. Do any of you have tips on how to fly with a hyper toddler?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “FLYING WITH A HYPER TODDLER”

1. star April 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM #

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who has a child who hates car rides.
    Most kids will sleep, right?
    My oldest did… Ian? Nope, not so much!
    I know with my oldest, he got car sick, so on long car rides (30 mins. or more), I had to give him Benadryl…
    It was the only way to ensure he didn’t get sick & slept the entire way…
    I know it spines bad, but it worked…
    You might try that on the plane ride…
    Esp. if toys don’t work… And I’m sure she’s in the drop/throw stage as well and you don’t want her throwing stuff at people…
    LOL

• Shannon April 26, 2012 at 12:31 PM #

She will probably do that. Last time we tried baby advil which is supposed to make her sleep but it did the opposite lol

2. Missy April 26, 2012 at 12:17 PM #

it’s been a long time since I flew but I did do it when the girls were little ,Larissa was 20 months and Natalie was 9 months.The thing I remember is that I packed lots of snacks I also made a trip to the local discount store and got a few new little toys like some squishy balls,I also got some paper and toddler crayons.A might be to little for that but because drawing was still very new to Rissa it held her attention.I hope you find find some things to keep her occupied.

• Shannon April 26, 2012 at 12:32 PM #

Drawing is a good idea!!!!

3. Jen April 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM #

Invest in a portable DVD player. When my husband and I bought the mini-van, we broke down and got the pop down DVD. That was such a blessing. It made those 3+ hour car rides to visit family much more tolerable.

Good Luck!

Have a wonderful time in California.

• Shannon April 26, 2012 at 7:08 PM #

Thanks!!!! I think I will be getting a DVD player soon. Everyone seems to say it is the best thing to do! Thanks Jen!!!

4. Camilla (@Gamolie) April 26, 2012 at 2:47 PM #

Get a ton of little toys (especially coloring/craft stuff) and wrap them up individually. However many hours your plane trip is, plan at least twice that many toys. Now they’re presents, and every half hour (or even less) you introduce a new one. A few minutes is killed opening it and reacting to what’s inside, then the new item catches their attention for awhile. Hopefully. *lol* We also did a lot of walks up and down the aisle. Probably made other passengers sick of us, but I figured they’d be more sick of me trying to keep the toddler in his/her seat screaming. My theory is also if they’re loud, they’re loud. It’s a plane, if people expect quiet they’re not being very realistic.

Motrin shouldn’t make them tired, it more likely has a reaction that you got – it kind of kills any aches and pains of being cooped up and now they’re open to running around and having fun. I’m not totally adverse to using Benadryl for flights, particularly because it does have a medical function beyond hopefully helping them sleep, it should help any unknown congestion that’s in there that could irritate her on take-off and landing. Just make sure if you decide to use it, try it out a few days beforehand to see her reaction. It can make them hyper, or upset her stomach, and you don’t want that happening for the first time on a plane.

Mini DVD players were a Godsend as well, although at just over a year they only worked for five or ten minutes at a time. Still, it was five or ten minutes where I could breathe and close my eyes.

• Camilla (@Gamolie) April 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM #

Sorry, that got much longer than I thought. I tend to ramble…

• Shannon April 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM #

Thanks for the advice. You don’t ramble. I will try Benedryl and I LOVE the gift idea. I will have to find some DVDs she likes and get a player!

5. Ann-K April 26, 2012 at 3:36 PM #

I don’t have an advice for the plane ride – because I have never had one.

But I wonder if Princess A gets antsy and bored in the car because she can’t see properly. I may be wrong but in the pictures it looks like she sits in a rear-facing seat. I have no idea about restrictions for baby-/toddler-seats on car rides in the US but Lillian sits in a forward-facing seat since she is six months old.

We threw out the baby seat and bought one similar to “Maxi-Cosi Priori SPS” (if you google it, you get an idea how our seat looked like).

When Lillian sat backwards, she always started to squeal, cry and get angry. It was over immediately when she sat face forward, she was able to look out of the window, see me driving… since then she’s been a happy kid on a car ride.

• Shannon April 26, 2012 at 7:04 PM #

My car seat is rear facing but maybe it’s worth it to buy one that is not. I will have to look into it and see if she is big enough for another car seat.

• Ann-K April 27, 2012 at 2:42 AM #

Our EU-front-facing seats can be used from 9 months on. So maybe you can get one for Princess A, too. I think she’ll like it ;)

• Shannon April 27, 2012 at 9:09 AM #

Yes, our pediatrician lives in our neighborhood so I will ask her about it because I was looking online at a new car seat that is front facing and now I am thoroughly confused lol

• Angelia April 27, 2012 at 9:45 PM #

My nephew Tyler was in a front facing seat when he was 6 months old. In fact, I bought one that grows with him and is now his booster seat at 5 years old. Its just an adjustment of straps.

• Shannon April 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM #

What is the brand of the car seat?

6. Chrissy April 26, 2012 at 4:01 PM #

The best thing I’ve ever gotten Andrew is a Leapfrog laptop. I swear, that kid will play with it forever and not make a peep. He normally hates car rides and such as well but it’s definitely made them much more pleasant. You program it with your computer so it says their name, spells it out in a song, you choose the songs it plays, etc. The other thing that seems to work is crayons and a coloring book although it doesn’t seem to have the longevity of the laptop. My kid is a tech freak though. LOL

• Shannon April 26, 2012 at 7:02 PM #

I have never heard of a leapfrog laptop so I will look into it. Thanks!

7. Mandy April 26, 2012 at 7:02 PM #

I think the trick is finding what grasps their attention for any length of time at home and working with it. I’ve flown with a baby/toddler at 2, 4, 8, 10, 17, 20, 22 months. (and we have a flight from korea to DC and then on to Turkey in just a few months) Each age group (even 2 months different) has their own things that keep attention. The closer we got to 2 the more a portable DVD player or iPad (with games and her favorite show) keeps her attention. We always take crayons and coloring stuff, stickers, books to read, plenty of snacks, magna-doodle, favorite animal or blanket to sleep with, and a few new toys (cars, trains, little people). Things with lights and music were a big hit when she was younger.

If she’s into unwrapping things, the wrapping idea is great. Lily makes Christmas and her birthday last for a week… just no desire.

We’ve been known to use a benadryl shooter (you can give 5mL of the kids liquid if she’s at least 20lbs), but do make sure you try it at home before hand to see how she reacts (some kids have the opposite effect and go crazy hyper.)

We walk up and down the aisles, sing songs, play with cups from the flight attendants, bounce up and down, sit on the floor in front of the seats instead of in the car seat (switching her to a convertible seat may be helpful).

To be honest, its really a crap shoot. Some flights are great, others are very trying. We’ve lucked out that even on the 3 hour flights she’ll get tired enough to take a small nap.

I think packing the carry-on is much more stress than packing for the rest of the trip.

8. Brianne Ferrell April 26, 2012 at 11:58 PM #

Shannon –

I’m only speaking from the place of an aunt, but for my niece in the car (where we live anyways) the front facing seat only became an option at 1yr old ( not sure if there is a pounds requirement)

Also my sister & bro-in-law use the iPad in the car, you can load movies on there and there are great apps for PBS kids and if she likes her picture there are photo albums and little camera manupliations that my niece loves to play with.

I have to warn you she’ll probably get better at it than you and your husband quickly –

And as a bonus to the iPads there are the face-time capability for visual calls that are great for Aunts/uncles/grandparents if they have an iPhone/pad when you are apart so the ram can see for them selves what she’s up to and she can see them it’s awesome!

• Shannon April 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM #

I LOVE the ipad face-time idea!!!! I weighed her yesterday and she was too tiny for all the front facing car seats but I am going to ask the doctor why you have to be a certain weight because Princess A just hates her car seat now.

• Brianne Ferrell April 27, 2012 at 12:33 AM #

My nieces honks almost 2 now will grab the iPad and call me on her own to talk & show me her toys & sometimes watch her show(s) with her which can be interesting to say the least. (but great fun)

On the car seat I’d bet it had to do with the proportion of weigh between the head and body and momentum in the case of an accident

• Shannon April 27, 2012 at 12:52 AM #

that sounds so cute. My sister has an ipad so we will have to do that!

• Mandy April 27, 2012 at 9:14 AM #

If she is at least 1 year old and 20 pounds you should be able to find a car seat that is forward facing… we have britax. The new American pediatrician recommendation is rear facing until 2 years old, but I don’t believe that has become a law (but I could totally be lying… I currently live in a country where car seats aren’t even required.)

• Shannon April 27, 2012 at 1:11 PM #

Good to know. I like Britax’s products. It’s just when I look at the front facing car seats they say 2 years old but I will look into it more.

• Mandy April 28, 2012 at 3:06 AM #

Lily is in the marathon and has been since she turned 1 and was forward facing. If you’re using the car seat more for traveling or take taxi’s a lot you might look into sunshine kids. They fold up super easy and are easier to carry… hauling a britax through the airport is only nice if you use the car seat as the stroller… otherwise it’s awkward and you’re gonna hate it.

• Shannon April 28, 2012 at 7:16 AM #

I will look at sunshine kids because we mostly use taxis.