A TODDLER’S HEART

Half of the time Princess A loves to give and receive hugs. She is so good at hugging it melts my heart. There is nothing a tight hug from your baby won’t fix. At night sometimes I want to wake her up just to get a hug but I know she would probably head butt me out of anger so I let her sleep. The other half of the time Princess A is outgoing and the last thing in the world she needs is mom. I have said this before but life with a toddler is like living with an emotionally unstable drunk. Every second of a toddler’s life contains a different and unpredictable emotion. The only thing that is predictable is that they feel every feeling they have with their whole heart.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “A TODDLER’S HEART”

1. Jen April 26, 2012 at 3:54 PM #

Totally! My daughter just today was mad and yelled “leave me alone! I don’t want you!” She was mad at me because I wanted her to use the potty before naptime. So since she refuses to stay in time out during these angry times, I tell her I am in time out, she may not have me until she is ready to calm down. So after a few minutes I hear her crying “MOMMY, I WANT YOU!” So then she does what I asked her to and then we have a BIG hug and exchange I loves yous! It is totally crazy living with a toddler! But so worth it!

• Shannon April 26, 2012 at 7:03 PM #

Jen, I love the “Mommy time out” idea. We have been trying to use time out with Princess A but of course she won’t sit still. I will put myself in time out and see what happens.

• Jen April 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM #

Good luck! We started this method about a yr ago and it seems to work. Let me know how it works out.

• Shannon April 26, 2012 at 10:21 PM #

Thanks. We tried putting her on our lap facing out so we couldn’t interact with us. We read about this method in the American Pediatrics book. But she was happy to held by us and definitely did not see it as a punishment and started acted out to get on our lap lol. Princess A is a ham and loves attention from us so this might work better!

2. Jordan April 26, 2012 at 3:59 PM #

Those pictures are adorable! That is so true. One minute something is the best thing in the world, the next they want nothing to do with it. They could be a complete happy camper, and one small move will turn them into an emotional wreck. And they’re wholehearted in every bit of it. They keep us on our toes, that’s for sure.

3. star April 26, 2012 at 4:49 PM #

Shannon,
    You so nailed that!
    Esp. when you have a very stubborn and impatient one!
    Hugs and kisses are the best, b/c like you said…
    They give w/ their whole heart.

• Shannon April 26, 2012 at 7:01 PM #

I think Ian and Amelia should meet they seem very similar!

4. Mandy April 26, 2012 at 6:45 PM #

Toddlers love unconditionally and are so forgiving. Even after a tantrum that we caused by putting one in time out they still come out willing to cuddle. My favorite time of day is getting hugs from Lily… totally makes up for all the bad times. And that hug and kiss before bed just wipes away the awful days.

• Shannon April 26, 2012 at 6:58 PM #

I know I just love the bedtime hugs. Those are the best