IN THE PICTURE

This is a pizote from Costa Rica. When we were on vacation a couple of years ago there were tons of these cute guys at our hotel. They begged for food, did cute dances, and if you didn’t watch out they would drink your margarita. This is a pretty Costa Rican sunset from the same trip. This is a towel animal the maid created for us at our hotel.

These are the only pictures I took on my week-long trip to Costa Rica. That’s right, the Shannon who takes pictures of her daughter every day went on a trip and took only 4 pictures.

Before I had Princess A, I didn’t take a lot of pictures. I preferred to be in the moment and always felt like taking pictures brought me out of the moment. Once Princess A was born I couldn’t help myself and started to take TONS of pictures and eventually created this blog.

Now I have an awesome camera and am working on improving my photography skills. Some days I spend so much time trying to get the perfect shot of Princess A I feel like I am not fully experiencing life. Lately, I have been working on keeping my photo sessions short so that I can be completely invested in Princess A more often than not. This is much harder than it sounds.

Do any of you feel like you are taken out of the moment when you take pictures or do you have any tips on staying in the picture while taking a picture?

Tags: , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “IN THE PICTURE”

1. manthamac April 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM #

I agree! taking pictures does take you out of the moment, but to remember it we have to take some (or hope someone else will do it for us) it is a vicious circle 🙁
    Let me know if you get a workable method, I’m hoping my memory doesn’t fail!

2. Jaclyn April 18, 2012 at 4:54 PM #

I feel like I’m more in the moment when I take pictures. My old film camera went through four or five rolls of film in less than a year, that’s when I really got interested in photography. I have a worn out digital camera that has close to 500 pictures on it. My new camera has all kinds of pics as well. I think it’s because I live in pictures. My memory is extremely poor, and I rarely remember anything fun or important if I don’t have pictures. Plus, I love the lucky and rare shots. I got an incredible skyline pic outside Denver when the sun was coming up last summer. I just love taking pics and holding a camera.

• Shannon April 18, 2012 at 7:04 PM #

Wow… I wish I felt more in the moment when taking pictures like you do!

3. Lisanne April 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM #

Taking pictures take time that’s sure, but you have to be able to kinda “adapt” to the situation. My father loves photography too and when my brother was born, he started to take tons of pictures of him. It’s natural (for you too) it’s the first kid. All parents do that. But when my sister and I were born, he didn’t had much time, so he started to do those random photoshoots of us, maybe two/three times a week, sometimes alone, sometimes all of us, etc. They didn’t last very long, but it was also one of his way to past quality time with us, because while doing it, he would talk to us, play with us… and from time to time, snap a picture. I even have some “flash” memories of these moments. Maybe you need to find a way to incorporate, adapt “taking picture” your own way, so you won’t feel that youre out of the moment!

• Shannon April 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM #

That’s a good idea! I do feel bonded when I take pictures of Amelia and we are alone. It’s when other people are around that I feel out of the moment the most.

• Lisanne April 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM #

Maybe you can “use” them. If they are family, friends or people Amelia is ok with(you too!!!) ask them to interact with Amelia so you can take pictures or ask them to do it (and maybe tell them your “vision” of the picture…). Make them a part of it, you’ll end up having more fun memories! Also, I forgot to say in my previous message that my dad knew that when you are little, youre always on the move. He didn’t stand for taking pictures. He was the kind of dad that would be on the floor with us, playing at the same level. And i’m saying that if people make comments of you taking pics of Amelia when they are around, they miss something. Tell them that you want A to have a reminder of her childhood, something that she could look back and remember good memories. So, instead blubbering, they should get involve! But don’t be the mom that take way too much pics of their kids in front of people and end forgetting them… 🙂 It’s kinda annoying! Find the middle between both sides!

P.s: Just saw the length of both my replies…. o.o… long ones!!! Sorry!

• Shannon April 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM #

No big deal. I like the idea of getting other people involved.