DAY OFF?

Last weekend The Husband Aaron was awesome and took care of Princess A and Freckles so I could have a day off… or so I thought. I didn’t set my alarm but I still woke up when the Princess woke up. It was awesome to be able to go back to bed though.

Then I went out all day and started to feel guilty. I kept thinking that Princess A was mad at me for being gone which is ridiculous because I took one day off. The above image kept jumping into my head.

I was also afraid something would go wrong even though The Husband has taken care of Princess A before and is really good with her.

So I went home earlier and guess what? No one was mad at me for being gone most of the day. They were really happy to see me but not mad. Also, the world wasn’t ending. Everyone had a great day and the Husband Aaron did a good job taking care of everyone. He even put Princess A in a tutu!!!

So thank you Husband for giving me the day off but shame on me for not letting myself mentally relax. Do my fellow moms out there have any advice on how to mentally relax when you get to take days off?

Tags: , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “DAY OFF?”

1. Brianna April 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM #

I actually get more time off than most single moms as my babies are both in school all day and I finish at 1 with my schooling. This hasn’t always been the case though. To unwind when I had been given a break by either their dad or my glamorous mom I would go get a message (doubt I spelled it right). I close my eyes and let the music relax my mind as the therapist does their work relaxing my muscles. I feel rejuvinated after that and up for whatever my girls through at me. My four year old keeps me busy so there’s no telling what she gets into when I’m not looking. Hope that may help the next time The Husband gives you a break.

• Shannon April 17, 2012 at 6:43 PM #

Good Idea Brianna I should get a massage next time!

2. Jordan April 17, 2012 at 12:53 PM #

I always have the same problem. The only “me” time I get is usually just an hour walk by myself. But I still get the feeling everyone is mad at me for leaving and I have to go back. Of course everything is fine when I get back. But I’ve been wondering if this feeling ever goes away! So lately, I try to picture her as happy as I find her when I get back. It makes me feel like she’s comfortable and calm and everything is okay. Plus, I tell everyone to call my phone if they need me, and knowing they haven’t eases my mind. I hope you find a way to relax and enjoy your time off! 🙂

• Shannon April 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM #

Happy images do work with me so I am surprised I didn’t think of this already. Thanks for the tip!

3. Camilla (@Gamolie) April 17, 2012 at 1:54 PM #

Good for you! My husband and are both pretty regular about our “me” time, although his comes in the form of training most often. But I’ll often go out for the day. I end up missing them within half an hour, but I still don’t go home. *lol* I actually have even started visiting my parents for a week in the summer, all by myself. (Although this is really more because we can’t afford a trip for five, not so much out of need to be alone.)

• Shannon April 17, 2012 at 6:46 PM #

I think next time I have a day off when I miss everyone I should just force myself to stay out like you do!

4. Nika April 17, 2012 at 3:43 PM #

Never forget how much Amelia gains when she gets back a total relaxed mum who is hungry for toddler-hugs! Plus: it will help make her talk – because who else would YOU tell your work of a day then your best friend, mommy?

5. Nadine April 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM #

I’d like to give you some advice but unfortunately I have the same problem. Whenever I go out without my son, I have a guilty conscience. I ask myself constantly: what is he doing? Is he well? Does he miss me? It’s terrible and I wish I could change it. 🙁

• Shannon April 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM #

At least I am not the only one!

6. Kim April 18, 2012 at 9:20 PM #

I would love to tell that the feeling the goes away. But I think you will always worry about your children on some level. I found that sometimes when I go out for me time, I end up looking at things my kids would like or even end up getting them something. It’s tough to stop being a mom and think of yourself and not worry about everyone you love. My only adive would be to take stock in the fact that The Husband did a great job and both were happy. Maybe next time it will be easier. Hope it helps to know you are not alone.

• Shannon April 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM #

Thanks Kim… and I do the same thing. I buy things for Amelia. As if she needs anymore stuff lol

7. Carol April 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM #

I know this is one of those things that’s easier said than done, but you need to allow yourself to enjoy your time away from her. It will help her grow up to be a more strong individual. She’ll grow up knowing she can enjoy her own life without letting anything or anyone hold her back. Keep in mind that you’re her role model. She’ll want to be just like you when she grows up. Think about that and give her the best example you can, be the mom who not only has her own great sense of style, but who knows how to enjoy life. 🙂

• Shannon April 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM #

Thanks Carol… I think if I remember I am her role model that will help 🙂

8. Amy Patrick April 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM #

So, until they turn 2 and can do a little bit of pre-school, you just have to take a day. Then, also make sure you do a date once a month. The first 2 years are hard because you will feel bad. But, just remind yourself that a well-rested and fulfilled mom makes a happier child.

• Shannon April 20, 2012 at 12:48 PM #

Very true Amy! we have been slacking on date nights 🙁