BLUE GUMS

Today I was playing with Princess A and I noticed that her back gums are black and blue. At first I though maybe she had sucked on a pen or eaten blue paper but then I realized that her gums were actually bruised. I freaked out and called the doctor right away. She said it is a completely normal part of teething and sometimes the gums get bruised when the new teeth are breaking through so i should stop worrying.

I know this should make me feel better but it doesn’t. Just looking at Princess A’s black and blue gums makes me have sympathy teething pains!

When I googled it not much came up so I started to freak out again. I know I need to listen to Princess A’s pediatrician! It would make me feel better if I knew Princess A isn’t the only baby who has gotten bruised gums during teething… so let me know if you experienced this with your kids and what you did to make them feel better!

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “BLUE GUMS”

1. Maris March 30, 2012 at 1:00 PM #

I asked my mum, she said it’s perfectly normal, me, my sister and brother had it too.
    Not that WE are normal, but that’s besides the point. 😉

• shannonsutherland March 30, 2012 at 2:24 PM #

LOL… I just wanted to make sure Amelia is not the only one. The doc said it was normal but all the moms I talk to say it didn’t happen to their kids.

2. snarkysarcasticbish March 30, 2012 at 1:06 PM #

It’s totally normal sweetie. Trust me. 3 kids, all had bruises. I just accepted it as a part of teething. It’s okay. You worry because you love. It’s a part of being a mommy. Smooches, hugs to all y’all.

• shannonsutherland March 30, 2012 at 2:23 PM #

Thanks!!!! I don’t know why it isn’t in any baby books I have read!

3. Camilla (@Gamolie) March 30, 2012 at 1:17 PM #

Hyland’s teething tablets are a godsend. And it always amazes me that even on bruised and swollen gums, teething rings still made them feel better. That just sounds so painful to me! I hope her teeth break through soon and give her poor gums a break. She’s smiling awfully big and making the best of it though!

• shannonsutherland March 30, 2012 at 2:22 PM #

She is making the best of it! Amelia has so many teeth though I think she has been teething for 6 months straight now! Hopefully she gets a break soon!

4. Missy March 30, 2012 at 1:23 PM #

Josh will be two next week and he is teething right now and his gums are bruised. I was shocked when I saw it too.(((Hugs))) to you and Princess A today.

• shannonsutherland March 30, 2012 at 2:21 PM #

Thx for letting me know. I have never heard of this before and was shocked as well!

5. star71 March 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM #

I didn’t have that problem w/ my oldest…
    I always brushed his gums, so I think that helped…
    As for Ian, he’s just getting his bottom teeth, no brushing yet…

• shannonsutherland March 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM #

I brush Amelia’s teeth twice a day which is how I found the bruises. At first I thought maybe I was brushing too hard but the doctor keeps telling me it just happens to some kids.

6. kym March 30, 2012 at 2:30 PM #

I don’t know if you allow the little lady such things yet, but ice-pops helped my girls with their bruised gums – it reduces the swelling a little & is a nice little treat for them too =)
    Hope she feels better soon!

• shannonsutherland March 30, 2012 at 7:14 PM #

Yes, she loves ice pops. We have this mesh bag thing that we put frozen fruit in too! I think the bruised gums are bothering me more than her!

7. monkeyjunkiegirl March 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM #

Omg I’ve never seen anything like that and my daughter only has slight fever when she was teething! I hope she’s feeling ok and it’s not bothering her too much! Maybe she is chewing on stuff a lot and it caused the bruises? I always used the soft teethers or a washcloth that I wet and put in the freezer. Cleans the gums and helps with pain too.

• shannonsutherland March 30, 2012 at 7:12 PM #

Thanks! She doesn’t seem to be more upset with these teeth than any others it just shocked me but the doctor said it is normal

8. Felicia B Palmer March 31, 2012 at 8:18 AM #

Yeap my youngest was the only one who got bruised gums so I freaked too honey. I thought with two kids already I’d seen it all, but no lol. And I was frustrated too trying to find something about it.

• shannonsutherland March 31, 2012 at 10:59 AM #

Thanks Felicia it is weird that there isn’t much info on it in books or on the web!