HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME

Hello to all my Superfans. Just so you know I will be changing your name to GlamFans because you are all glam and I just love the way it sounds! Today I will be taking a break from all things online because it is my 28th birthday!!! But first, I want to share a letter I wrote to my 27th year.

Dear 27,

You were my golden year because I was born on the 27th and you were golden in every way. When I think of gold I think of an Olympic gold medalist who works hard and wins. I am by no means an athlete but I thought my golden year would be golden and perfect but instead it was the most challenging year of my life but in the end I finished strong and won the gold medal!

I started my golden year excited for the birth of Princess A and she came 2 weeks later. She was and is perfect but motherhood turned out to be a lot harder than I imagined. I have never felt so exhausted and full of love as I was in those first few months. Being a mom is my Olympics and everyday I am trying to win the gold medal. Some days I do some days I don’t but no matter what I give it my all.

I went to Nantucket for the first time with my Husband for our 2nd anniversary. It is a beautiful island and I hope to return with Princess A.

The summer proved to be difficult because I spent most of it walking Freckles and Princess A. The good part was I lost the baby weight and realized having a good dog by your side is one of the best gifts you can experience.

Fall came too quickly and as I watched the leaves turn I realized how fast everything changes and realized I need to appreciate every moment.

When I was a little girl I went to Paris and promised myself I would return with my true love. This year that wish was granted and I went with my true love , The Husband Aaron, to Paris. It was romantic to see Paris in the winter. I also got to see my true friends and do some much needed catching up with them.

The holidays were a blur but I enjoyed spending them with my family and learned that babies love boxes.

In January, I went with The Husband and Princess A to LA to see my friends. I learned that I have such good friends that no matter how much time passes or miles there are between us we will always be bffs. While I was there I also met a new friend who I clicked with. I learned that just because you already have awesome friends doesn’t mean you don’t have room for another.

Although I have been married to The Husband Aaron for almost 3 years now I grew even closer to him this year. No one knows me as well as him or has seen me at my worst so many times and not run away. During my 27th year I fell in love with my husband all over again and realized I won the gold medal in love a long time ago when I said yes to marrying him.

I also learned that sometimes people just really suck and things happen that are completely unfair and there is nothing you can do about it except move on. In my 28th year I want to be so focused on winning my gold medals that I am able to ignore negativity and stop trying to rewrite history or change things I have no control over.

I grew up a lot during my golden year which I did not expect because I thought I was already grown up. So 27, you taught me one of the best lessons that you are never grown up and there is always more to learn.

Goodbye 27 and thank you for being as rewarding as you were difficult.

Hello 28! I am excited to meet you but just know you have some large shoes to fill because my 27th year was indescribably lovely.

Tags: , ,

32 Responses to “HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME”

1. Aaron (The Husband) February 27, 2012 at 8:25 AM #

That was really beautiful, almost as beautiful as you. Happy birthday, awesome wife, we’re going to have a great 28th year!

Love,
    The Husband, Princess A and Freckles (they told me what to write)

2. Amélie February 27, 2012 at 8:42 AM #

I love your letter. It’s so beautiful!!
    You have had a year filled a lot of things.

I wish you a great 28th year!! Happy Birthday Shannon!! :)

3. Kelli Linowski February 27, 2012 at 8:43 AM #

Loved it! I hope your 28 is everything you imagine!

4. Jeni February 27, 2012 at 9:06 AM #

Beautiful letter!
    Have a glamtastic day and wonderful 28th year!
    Jeni

5. Lisanne Allard February 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM #

A lovely letter from the heart! Again, happy birthday!

6. Nadine February 27, 2012 at 11:11 AM #

Aaww! I love it!
    I hope your 28th year will be even better than your 27th year.
    Happy, happy Birthday!

7. Jolijn February 27, 2012 at 11:14 AM #

Aahhh.. I love the letter!

8. Jennifer February 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM #

I am so glad to hear you had such an amazing year. No matter how difficult it seemed to be. Good luck in 28. I know you can do it!

Much love!

9. Camilla (@Gamolie) February 27, 2012 at 11:59 AM #

Happy Birthday!

10. Antonella Astorri February 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM #

I love your letter! It’s so beautiful!
    Happy birthday Shannon!! I wish you all the best! May all your dreams come true! I wish you a wonderful 28th year <3 xoxo

11. Kassy February 27, 2012 at 12:55 PM #

That was beautiful! I too learned a lot at the age of 27, I grew up alot also. I turned 28 back in November, and I feel like I mature everyday. Happy birthday Shannon, have a fabulous day!

12. Cécile February 27, 2012 at 1:03 PM #

Happy Birthday Shannon,
    May all your wishes, even the most secret, come true. May this year be filled with love, happiness and laughter!
    A great idea this letter!!
    Have a nice day and take full time for you and your family. Enjoy.
    hugs

13. Karen Dent February 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM #

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday! May this year bring you even more joy and love! That was an amazing letter! I hope year 28 is just as fabulous as year 27!

14. Kate February 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM #

What a beautiful letter! Happy 28th Birthday. I hope you are having a wonderful day with your gorgeous little family!

15. Brandi February 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM #

Happy birthday!!!

P.S Have you seen the Betsey Johnson onesie she posted on instagram?

16. sarah perry (@sarahperry29) February 27, 2012 at 1:23 PM #

Big Hugs and Kisses i hope you have a glamorous day.I wish you a wonderful year to come at 28,im looking forward to reading all about your year to come.Thank You for sharing your life with us x x x

17. Lena February 27, 2012 at 1:29 PM #

Happy Birthday Shannon!! I wish you all the best for your 28th year and hope that all your dreams come true. It´s YOUR day. Enjoy it!!
    P.S. the letter ist really beautiful, well written

18. connie graham February 27, 2012 at 1:31 PM #

Hi Shannon, Happy Birthday!!!
    I am a fan. I enjoy reading your blogs, and coincidentally we share the same Birthday :)

19. Jules Chester February 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM #

Dear Shannon, reading about your 27th year made me cry. It was not only inspiring but also hit home with me. I met my hubby 20 years ago and we have been together ever since. In the last few years he has been the only reason I am still here. I had my son 6 years ago and was very ill after it and due to a massive hormone imbalance went through 18 months of post natal depression. He has seen me at my very worse and stood by me each step if the way. He came into his own last year when my beloved dad died of a heart attack at 67 and when my sister died of leukeamia

• Jules Chester February 27, 2012 at 1:57 PM #

He is a very special man and I thank my lucky stars he is married to me. My dad always said if you don’t ask you don’t get do I took it upon myself this year to try that with a couple of stars I would love to meet, no luck yet but I will keep trying. Shannon I wish you and your family all the luck in the world and if you ate ever in the UK, come for a cup of tea. Love jules xx

• shannonsutherland February 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM #

He sounds awesome. Postpartum depression sucks!!!! Stay Glam!!!!!!!!

• Jules Chester February 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM #

He is and thank you. This sounds corny but I love being married, will be 17 years on 14 December and here’s to many more. Take Care, Jules x

20. Maris February 27, 2012 at 2:03 PM #

Happy birthday to the most glamorous lady! I just realised you are 4 months older than me, and I gave to say, that 84 was a very good year to be born in.

I loved to read your letter, and I hope your 28th year will me just as awesome, or even better. For you, Aaron, Princess A and freckles.

Stay awesome!

Lots of love

21. Sara (@SwedenSara) February 27, 2012 at 2:03 PM #

Happy birthday from Sweden. I’m 10 years older than you, and was about the same age as you when I got my first child. She’s 9 now, and those first years were… Well, not easy. They took their toll on me, my husband and our marriage, and I appreciate the effort you’re making to find time for yourself and the things that makes your everyday life a bit more fun, and staying glamorous even though it’s not easy with toddlers. It gets easier though, and now that my children are getting older – the youngest is now 5 – I feel like being a little glamorous again. The hard times in our marriage have passed (at least for the time being, heh). My husband and I try to make the same thing that you did in your post on our wedding anniversary every year: we have a book in which we write the highlights of every year we have been married. We now have 9 pages of great memories! Looking back at the past year like you did is a wonderful way to remember the good moments, and even when you think there aren’t any, I promise you can find some if you really try. After our hard times, this is how I feel now when I think about our marriage, and it’s what I hope for others as well:

(I apologize in advance for the NSFW posts on that tumblr. Don’t open anything else in public…)

Stay glamorous,

Sara

22. Kylie February 27, 2012 at 3:05 PM #

Happy Birthday! Looks like we share the same one! Hope you have a great day.

By the way, I just got the 100 Monkeys signed pencil bag in the mail. Best present so far! :)

23. Jess February 27, 2012 at 4:12 PM #

Happy Birthday from snowy Minnesota! I only hope to have what you do someday. I have the best little man in the world who makes me smile and laugh every day. Hopefully this year I’ll find a big one who will love and want to put up with the two of us forever. This will be my 28th year as well (but I have to wait until August for it to start!)
    Happy Birthday glam girl!

24. wendy nascimento February 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM #

That was an awesome letter! You have such a spirit that is so inspiring. CHEERS TO ANOTHER WONDERFUL YEAR!!!!!

25. Jodie Boudreaux February 27, 2012 at 9:48 PM #

Happy Birthday to the most glamorous mom I know!! Hope you had a great day!

26. Mandy February 28, 2012 at 8:26 AM #

May your 28th year be superfab glam… with lots of spoiling from your hubby, hugs and kisses from your kids and may the ups be much more frequent and higher than the downs. Enjoy it my dear!

27. Charli ♡ (@CharliDenae) March 1, 2012 at 12:42 AM #

Happy Birthday, Shannon!! I’m hoping your 28th year is your best year yet!!

Your letter was wonderful and I also loved ‘The Husband’s’ comment. Hee hee!! You’re a lucky lady.

Many blessings,