I’M FRIZZY AND I KNOW IT

When I was little I really wanted straight hair. It didn’t help that people made fun of me at school for my frizzy hair. In middle school I woke up early every morning to straighten my hair. One morning, I burnt myself with the straightening iron and said to myself enough is enough. I went to school with hair half straight and half curly… and of course I got made fun of by the popular girls.

Since then I haven’t ever done much with my hair. I wash and condition it and either put it in braids or let it air dry. However my hair ends up looking when it is dry is how I wear it. The amazing part is I always get tons of compliments on my hair.

Yes, for special events like my wedding I do get my hair done but 99.9% of the time I let my hair go on with it’s frizzy self. When I get compliments and people ask me what I do I just say “nothing”.

Occasionally, I do get insults from jealous haters. They say my hair is not fashionable because it’s not straight and covered in hair spray.

When this happens I love to tell them about Diane von Furstenberg’s cover picture for Interview magazine. I would try to tell you the story but she says it best in an interview for Harper’s Bazaar.

“One day in 1976, I did a picture for the cover of Interview.And I had my hair very straight, blown out, and so we did the shoot, we shot the picture. And then my friend the photographer said, “Now wet your hair.” And I said, “What do you mean? I can’t wet my hair.” And he said, “I just want to try something.” And my hair was superfrizzy, and of course that’s what ran on the cover, and that’s how I’ve worn it since.”

Above is the cover that ran. I think she looks so hot in it!!! She also has some fun things to say about wrinkles.

“I’m so attracted to women with wrinkles. I think the pendulum is going to go the other way. For men, it was always more beautiful. And I’m not saying you want to look like Louise Bourgeois or Georgia O’Keeffe, but still, it’s … it’s better to be you. To try to keep a young body — that’s getting very difficult…I don’t like when women try to be something that they’re not. I don’t like anything that’s forced.”

Here she is 30 plus years later frizzy hair and all. When I heard this story it made me love her designs even more and when people insult my hair I always say, “Diane von Furstenberg has frizzy hair and she is FAB!”.

Last week I wasn’t feeling so glam and The Husband showed me this video. It cheered me up and I love that the lead singer is rocking his frizzy hair.

So whether you have short, long, straight, frizzy, grey, black, red, brown, blond, green, purple, or any other kind of hair be confident about it and remember you can’t be a trendsetter unless you are unique and nothing is more unique and rare then just being you!

Tags: , , ,

37 Responses to “I’M FRIZZY AND I KNOW IT”

1. manthamac January 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM #

Again you are spot-on!

Being red-haired in the UK is not generally considered ‘on trend’ and being called GINGER by complete strangers on a daily basis is quite normal (It is certainly never said as a compliment) but I have never changed my hair colour and never will (even now its going white!)

• shannonsutherland January 19, 2012 at 7:23 PM #

LOL… I got called Ginger in Scotland all the time… I thought it was a compliment!

• Lindsey January 20, 2012 at 8:22 PM #

Haha I am from the USA and I am a Ginger too…it’s said both ways….or I tell my self that:)

• wendy January 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM #

I change my hair Color so much, I am not sure what the actual Color is. I am currently sporting a lovely shade of red. I change my hair, like some people change clothes. I love to see the different looks.

• shannonsutherland January 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM #

I love different looks as well but I am not good with hair so I have basically had the same hair style since the hair straightener incident… as long as you style you are for you I will love any hair style!

2. Cee (@CharmedTink) January 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM #

I too have frizzy hair…very very long (to my butt) curly,red, frizzy hair. And it is the only thing I ever get complimented on, so I will never cut it!! I get some jealous snide comments too (esp when I was in school) but I just ignore those as best I can.
    As I work in pre-school though, it’s usually always braided – can’t be doing with paint, glue, snot, puke, pee, headlice getting in it!! lol!

• shannonsutherland January 19, 2012 at 7:23 PM #

Agreed… my daughter and all her baby friends love pulling my hair. They never pull the other moms hair so I always wear braids to play dates lol

3. sugar11t January 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM #

I was born with a lot of curls.. and still have em!! There have been many times I really hated my hair… but.. now I love it.. and just like you i just let it be! That is me.. that is you! We love the way we are and this is good!!! Right?!
    Just go on

Much love Sugar

4. Laura January 19, 2012 at 4:27 PM #

I have always had hybrid hair. The right side is curly, back is semi-curly, left is wavy and top is straight. I gave up trying to be trendy a long time ago. Now I’m just me, lopsided head and all.

5. Star January 19, 2012 at 4:41 PM #

Shannon I am so w/ you on this!
    I also have very curly hair & hated it most of my life.
    Luckily, I grew up in the 80’s, so big hair was in…
    But, when straight hair became popular & poofy hair went away, I was @ a loss.
    It took forever to get a style, but I too, now wash & wear and get more compliments…
    So, I’ll join you in the “Im frizzy & I know it…” club!
    Big Hugs
    Star

• shannonsutherland January 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM #

Go Star. Frizzy hair is awesome!!!!!

• Star January 19, 2012 at 8:37 PM #

I do put a little mousse in when I leave the house, Florida humidity is not nice & I look like Ronald McDonald…

6. Felicia Palmer January 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM #

I have constantly lived with taming the ‘mane’ and I also have not 1 but 2 cowlicks instead of a fringe that have stared back at me in a mirror for over forty years and I sigh back at every morning. I too am frizzy and I know it! 🙂

7. Mary Cate Longo January 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM #

I’ve had super curly hair and I’ve had completely straight hair and right now it’s somewhere in the middle. I used to colour it, put highlights in it,anything to try and cover the gray. (I started going gray when I was 18). Now, I do nothing with it. And the to be perfectly honest, I love the colour it is now, gray and all. And the funny thing is, I get more compliments now than when I was colouring it. I still have my days when I long for my beautiful thick elbow length naturally curly light brown hair but at some point you have to say, this is it, this is me. Love me or hate me. I don’t care. I love myself and that’s all that matters. Right? 🙂

• manthamac January 19, 2012 at 5:21 PM #

I’m with you Mary Cate Longo, hair style or colour are irrelevant if you are happy with it yourself and the confidence and assuredness shine through, hence the compliments!

• shannonsutherland January 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM #

Agreed… it’s funny though how when you stop caring and just let your looks be you get more compliments.

8. Lori January 19, 2012 at 7:01 PM #

Both my daughters have struggled with their hair – frizzy, wavy, long. The oldest, a natural brunette still either puts it up or straightens it. The youngest, a natural redhead looks gorgeous with straightened hair, but she’s taken to just putting it in braids or pulled up with cute beaded scrunchies or bandanas. A couple days ago she tried Aussie brand smooth style shampoo & conditioner, I believe it’s called. We were astonished. Absolutely no frizz, just smooth waves. She’s happy she can fuss with her hair even less now.

9. Angmwe January 19, 2012 at 7:35 PM #

It’s funny how you always want what others have… I have straight thick hair and i’ve always wanted curly hair…lol. I envy you ladies with curly hair… curls don’t hold in my hair, I’ve been debating getting a perm (if they still do those anymore) lol

10. Tara Costlow January 19, 2012 at 8:09 PM #

I would’ve killed for any type of wavy/cur;y/frizzy hair growing up. I have black/brown straight Asian hair and it refuses to hold any type of curl. I think my daughter is going to have a hard time with curling her hair too (for dances and such). My son though has wavy hair. When it grows out, it gets on the dry side and his head looks about three times bigger than it actually is. I have no idea where this curliness comes from but I’m jealous… (of my son’s fro)

11. mrswhyne January 19, 2012 at 8:18 PM #

I’m with you! I have 2 kids and NOTHING ever gets done to my hair. I wash it before bed and let it dry while I sleep. When I put it up in a poytail in the morning my hair is wider than my head. I used to think it was a curse cause NO ONE had thick poofy hair, now I know it’s a blessing cause it’s a combo of both my parents hair.

12. Pixie (@ForksPixie) January 19, 2012 at 8:24 PM #

This was just the perfect read for me today. I’m accustomed to internally say, ‘if you don’t like it, then don’t do it, but this me.’ but this week I’ve been surrounded by some people that have made me feel self conscious and question everything about my looks, my walk, even my words. Thank you for helping me feel fabulous again. *flips her frizzy hair with her unpolished nails and sashays out the door* Look out world, here I come. *blows kisses*

• shannonsutherland January 19, 2012 at 9:17 PM #

Love it who are these haters? They suck!!! Stay proud and fab.

13. Dana Jacoby January 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM #

Growing up I always had straight hair.As I’ve gotten older my hair is getting curly and now that I’ve hit the big 4-0 the top of my hair is a frizzy mess! It’s so bad that after a day at the beach I got in the car and pulled down the sun visor and proceeded to check myself to see if my ponytail was okay. Lo and behold the hair that had escaped the hairband, frizzed up and now resembled a tarantula sitting on top of my head!! =-)

14. Dijana January 20, 2012 at 4:40 AM #

YAY! So many fellow frizzies! (I’m not sure that ‘frizzies’ it’s a word, but it ought to be). I was fortunate enough to grow up in a place when nobody actually cared what your hair looks like or your clothes for that matter. We placed more value on what’s inside the person than what’s on the outside. Now times have changed.
    I always wanted curly hair, but as nature would have it, every strand of hair on my head has mind of it’s own. However, I never gave a hoot of other’s opinion of my hair (or their opinion of me for that matter).
    When I moved countries and came to this little rock in the middle of nowhere, guess what?! My hair went haywire! The humidity makes it so frizzy that I look like someone plugged me into an electric current and forgot to pull me off. Do I care? Darn right, I don’t! It is my hair and if someone has problem with it, well, it’s their problem, not mine.
    I do enjoy the fact that every stylist I have been to, loves my hair and compliment on the texture and the health of it. My secret? Wash hair with shampoo for your type, condition, let it dry naturally and enjoy life.
    I have also tried every color under the sun and no damage whatsoever 😀
    And here’s a ‘two cents’ wisdom from somewhere on the web:
    “When it comes to being happy, there is no right or wrong thing.. it’s just a battle between your happiness and their judgement.”
    Long live the frizz!

15. Ann-K January 20, 2012 at 10:43 AM #

Your frizzy, ginger hair is great! I love it. I always wished to have frizzy hair but mine is straighter than straight. Some hairspray and kneading helps them frizz’ a bit. 😉

16. Kate January 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM #

Another ‘frizzie’ here joining you all the way from Australia! It its 3am here and I am up feeding my 9 week old baby girl! When I was younger I had dead straight hair then I hit the teenage years and my hair completely changed. It was always going to happen though as both of my parents have curly hair. As a teenager I hated my frizzy hair but I have grown to love it as I have gotten older. People always compliment my hair when I wear it out. although I dont get the time to wear it out much these days being a mummy to 3 year old twins and a 9 week old. Usually it is pulled back these days! Keep blogging I love reading your stuff (especially at this time in the morning, you are helping to keep me awake :-p )

• shannonsutherland January 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM #

twins and a 9 week old…. that is tough… don’t worry i will keep blogging

• Kate January 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM #

Yep it is tough at times but I wouldn’t change it for the world. Just wanted to say too that I saw your photo with Princess A in her Ergo baby when you were hiking and I had to tell you I have the same Galaxy Grey one. It is the best investment I have made so far since having children. As soon as I put bub in it she sleeps and doesn’t wake until I take it off!! How fantastic are those carriers!! Hope you are having a wonderful day!

17. Jacqui Dunaway January 20, 2012 at 10:51 PM #

I love this. I am a redhead/ginger and have curly hair that has a tendency to frizz. I stopped fighting with my hair when I was at a salon in the ATL and a woman told the stylist I want my hair to look like hers. (Me!) Such a thrilling moment. So, I’ll so join your frizzy and I know it club and I love your blog!
    -Jacqui

18. Jeni January 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM #

I too am a Curly Frizz head! I use to hate it growing up and my mom blow dried my hair since I was young because she didn’t know who to deal with curls. Then came the flat iron. Now as an adult I hate dealing with all that! I have just recently discovered Ouidad products for curly hair and love it, but it’s expensive and I save it for when I want my curls to Behave! 🙂
    Otherwise it is all natural for me! Wash, condition, air dry! Simple as that! Got complimented the other day for wearing my hair natural!
    I’ve always wanted to be a red head, however, being puerto rican with dark eyes and beige skin color, the red probably wouldn’t look so great.
    Love the “I’m Frizzy and I Know It!”

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. FRIZZY | PoopPeePuke – Staying Glamorous Despite the Mess - May 31, 2012

[…] and I know it! In previous posts, I have talked about how I love my frizzy and curly hair. And I do and always […]